GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #111
M4J0R T0M
V8K1LR
Rep
Drives: F80

I just finished up my UCP install and had to deal with the camera module. Unfortunately, I didn’t read past the first page of this thread so I was scratching my head for a while on that one.

I was able to remove the factory clutch by dropping the module out of the sleeve but there was no way the UCP was going back in. I ended up removing the sleeve for the rest of the install and I wish I had just done that to start with. It’s actually pretty easy. You’ll need to drop the module out and let it hang. Then take a T20 socket on a small ratchet and remove the single screw holding it on. I was actually able to get my 1/4” drive Milwaukee electric ratchet in there so it came out super quick and easy. I wish I would have done it to start with. Once you get the screw out, just slide the sleeve up towards the dash and it’ll pop off the rear clip.

The installation and removal of this module should actually be the first and the last step of this install.

Last edited by M4J0R T0M; 11-06-2022 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 07:55 PM   #112
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4J0R T0M View Post
I just finished up my UCP install and had to deal with the camera module. Unfortunately, I didn’t read past the first page of this thread so I was scratching my head for a while on that one.

I was able to remove the factory clutch by dropping the module out of the sleeve but there was no way the UCP was going back in. I ended up removing the sleeve for the rest of the install and I wish I had just done that to start with. It’s actually pretty easy. You’ll need to drop the module out and let it hang. Then take a T20 socket on a small ratchet and remove the single screw holding it on. I was actually able to get my 1/4” drive Milwaukee electric ratchet in there so it came out super quick and easy. I wish I would have done it stewart with. Once you get the screw out, just slide the sleeve up towards the dash and it’ll pop off the rear clip.

The installation and removal of this module should actually be the first and the last step of this install.
Good to know, since I have a back up camera. Did you have to make a cutout on the trim too?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #113
M4J0R T0M
V8K1LR
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
Good to know, since I have a back up camera. Did you have to make a cutout on the trim too?
I haven’t done it yet, but it does interfere so I plan to clearance it soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 09:30 PM   #114
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua1745 View Post
Camera module bracket and attachment points
this was a great write up with pictures and suggestions suggesting to remove the left side vent, lights control switch panel, and the panel below with optional buttons (lane assist, blind spot...ect)

Just some clarifications, all the panels I listed above come out easily by popping them out with plastic trim removal....by doing so, you have access to the T20 volt securing the bracket....to note, there is center clip in the middle of the plastic panel (so once you removed the module with the colorful wires (no need to unplug the wires, the silver box pops out, just play with it and it will drop , its help with 2 slips i think)...as far the the black plastic brackert it need to slide TOWARDS THE DRIVER SEAT (its held in place by a C shaped clip, where the opening end of the C is on the driver seat side)

Once it is removed, you have MAJOR clearance ....the first step to removed the pedal is the removal of the white plastic clip, i found it much easier using a short bit screwdriver BUT WITHOUT ANY BITS ON IT, it give you more leverage ....The rest of the steps are straight forward i think , the upper C clamp securing the pedal i found it easier accessing from the opening end made by removing the the 3 plastics i described initially.

As far as the installed ,

I first removed the two bolts that are attached to the UCP , once installed i secured the top c clamp, then i attached the silver spring, then lastly the double spring....After that I attached the plastic plunger of the clutch slave cylcinder and with basic tools with sockets and attachments, you should have no problem tightening everything

Hope that help....Also, make sure to install the pedal pad BEFORE installing onto the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 01:54 PM   #115
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
I recently installed my UCP and have the over-center springs set to the softest “OEM” position. However, after some initial driving in this setting, I’d like to go a little stiffer. But I’m not interested in introducing the “popping” sensation that others have reported, by going with one of the other two stiffer settings.

I’ve seen mention of it before but I’m curious to get some more feedback on others’ experience in going with one of the stiffer spring settings, while removing either the outer or inner over-center spring. Does going this route allow you to get a stiffer pedal feel, without the added “popping” sensation that gets presented when both springs remain installed? Is there any “slop” that gets presented with just one of the springs removed?
      02-20-2023, 08:07 PM   #116
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

i installed the UCP over the weekend, and the initial impressions are very good. the pedal feel is a lot more linear and just a little stiffer with the center position.

the pedal was making contact with the cover panel, so i had to trim about 1/4 inch. its also a little crooked compared to the brake, and the tolerance of the brass bushings are pretty tight, so its not like its misaligned. it also sits a little lower than the brake pedal, which again isnt a huge deal.

overall, i still like the feel much better than the stock clutch pedal. the few "issues" i had are nowhere near worth reversing for. no issues with engagement or rev matching, so i'm chalking it up to possibly quality control.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 10:20 PM   #117
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

got a replacement pedal, and it looks much better.

old

new
Appreciate 1
Gunzy79.50
      04-03-2023, 06:22 AM   #118
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Switched from the middle position to the outer most position. The difference in feel between the center and furthest position is marginal, but now the pedal feels loose for the first 10% of travel. I’ll try re-installing the over center spring and see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 08:20 PM   #119
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

i didn't like the feel with the outer spring re-installed. i'll just have to live with the little bit of play i have on the stiffest spring position with only the inner spring.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #120
jason.seki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Thank you for this thread! Really helped with the install and omg I should have done this upgrade first 🤣🤣
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tom @ eas8101.00
      05-18-2023, 08:10 AM   #121
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Just installed a ucp last night and took about 2 hours thanks to this thread. I reinstalled the double spring in the firmest position and it has totally changed the feel and engagement. Might be too stiff there but will try it for a bit. Initial impression is the pedal position is greatly improved.
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2023, 10:48 AM   #122
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
Just installed a ucp last night and took about 2 hours thanks to this thread. I reinstalled the double spring in the firmest position and it has totally changed the feel and engagement. Might be too stiff there but will try it for a bit. Initial impression is the pedal position is greatly improved.
do you have any play in the firmest/furthest position? i'm in the middle position now, without the outer spring. however, i tried the furthest position, without the other spring, and the pedal felt a little loose for first few cm of travel. maybe i need to try it with the out spring?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 11:48 PM   #123
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
do you have any play in the firmest/furthest position? i'm in the middle position now, without the outer spring. however, i tried the furthest position, without the other spring, and the pedal felt a little loose for first few cm of travel. maybe i need to try it with the out spring?
No play
Appreciate 0