Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #45
anesthetize
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 SS/SS M3

I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned, but any of these wraps would prove very helpful should you decide to track your car.

My dealer had a 3M film installed on my SSII F80 and I love it. CA stated that if I have any issues with paint chips, yellowing, etc, that they would replace without question. I have multiple track days planned and look forward to not worrying about protecting my paint.
      07-14-2016, 02:58 AM   #46
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido
I will be doing a full wrap on my BSM M3.

Already have Trakktape ready for ED.
I hadn't heard of trakk tape until reading your post. Looked it up. Seems pretty cool. Is it a PIA to install? Not sure I want to be standing outside the Welt next week with a squeegee and that stuff though.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #47
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Wouldn't consider it even if it wasn't leased. Costs way too much, set that money aside for a "chip/scratch" fund. Most small scratches or chips can be fixed for a fraction of what xpel costs.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #48
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
+1.
Makes no sense to Xpel a leased car, unless you are OCD about rock chips. Complete waste of money.

I chose NOT to clear-bra my M3 (owned) mostly because I am not OCD about car's appearance. It's a daily driver for me, and it does sit outside during rain storms on occasion. Sometimes I wash it once a week, other times life gets busy and I wash it once every other month. SO paint looks good either way

If I was OCD, I would Xpel the entire car, which would run you ~$3+K.
Occasional paint touch-up is still way cheaper!

It's a daily for me as well, and while I always think I'm going to have time to detail it every weekend to keep it in pristine condition - I know the reality of having 3 young kids is going to slap me in the face sooner or later.

I assume you're content with the wear and infrequent paint touch up so far?
True on all counts.

If / when I bribe my kids to wash the cars, I initially would not let them touch the F80. But as they got more proficient and I got over the initial new car anxieties, the M3 is now on their car wash menu, and they are super careful about cleaning it. I detailed it once upon delivery, and again after this winter. That's it. I let it go ... it's just a mass produced car, not a priceless piece of art!

I treat rock chips as form of mods.
I know it's inevitable, and is part and parcel of ownership experience.
I have touch-up paint for all my cars, and the first time I had to break SO bottle open was to touch-up a self-induced chip (extended driver side wiper arm into the edge of the hood, duah). No big deal.

a
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #49
Tinilp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper
Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
You answered the question yourself, you're leasing. But if someone runs into you and scrapes your bumper, you can pull off the Xpel and have a scratch free surface... big plus if you get dinged for returning a beat up leased car.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
If the expel gets hit it will likely save the bumper if its minor stuff but then you need to rewrap it, costs about the same if not more.
True - no real savings to be had if you need to replace a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
I bought my car 2 years so I did Suntek which I'm very happy with. I screwed up forgetting to do the rocker panels though.
Any pics of your rockers? Would love to see what they look like after 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinilp View Post
I'd skip it since your on a lease. Any chips should be covered under normal wear and tear. If you were buying on the other hand I would install it. I bought but didn't put Xpel and am honestly regretting not doing it.
Are you chips on the front or sides? Any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
I purchased my F80, and even paid extra for the SMB paint. The only reason Im considering not getting it done is because I'm worried it might make the paint not look as good with it on. In the end ill probably get it done when it arrives, but im still kind of on the fence.
It won't probably be noticeable by most, but you'll always be able to tell a difference between the parts that have Xpel and the ones that don't. I guess the only solution for that is to do the whole car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yep, sure did!
How long has it been? Are you happy?
These things will probably annoy me as long as I have the car (perfectionist in me coming out). Honestly if I was leasing it I wouldn't let it get to me as much since I would be in a new car in a few years. These tiny dings aren't worth a couple grand in my mind for only 2-3 years worth of annoyance. Plus I wouldn't want to have to worry about the eventual yellowing of the Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #50
Tinilp
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinilp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper
Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
You answered the question yourself, you're leasing. But if someone runs into you and scrapes your bumper, you can pull off the Xpel and have a scratch free surface... big plus if you get dinged for returning a beat up leased car.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
If the expel gets hit it will likely save the bumper if its minor stuff but then you need to rewrap it, costs about the same if not more.
True - no real savings to be had if you need to replace a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
I bought my car 2 years so I did Suntek which I'm very happy with. I screwed up forgetting to do the rocker panels though.
Any pics of your rockers? Would love to see what they look like after 2 years.

Quote:
I'd skip it since your on a lease. Any chips should be covered under normal wear and tear. If you were buying on the other hand I would install it. I bought but didn't put Xpel and am honestly regretting not doing it.
Are you chips on the front or sides? Any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
I purchased my F80, and even paid extra for the SMB paint. The only reason Im considering not getting it done is because I'm worried it might make the paint not look as good with it on. In the end ill probably get it done when it arrives, but im still kind of on the fence.
It won't probably be noticeable by most, but you'll always be able to tell a difference between the parts that have Xpel and the ones that don't. I guess the only solution for that is to do the whole car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yep, sure did!
How long has it been? Are you happy?
These things will probably annoy me as long as I have the car (perfectionist in me coming out). Honestly if I was leasing it I wouldn't let it get to me as much since I would be in a new car in a few years. Things tiny dings aren't worth a couple grand in my mind for only 2-3 years worth of annoyance. Plus I wouldn't want to have to worry about the eventual yellowing of the Xpel.
Pics didn't load last time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 11:57 PM   #51
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

It's a car, it's going to get rock chips. Why pay a ton of money for a film that is going to turn yellow in a few years? :
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 03:06 AM   #52
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo
It's a car, it's going to get rock chips. Why pay a ton of money for a film that is going to turn yellow in a few years? :
As noted above, yellowing film is really only visible on white cars and if it occurs within warranty period (10 years Xpel / 5 years SunTek), it can be replaced under warranty at no charge.

The driving some people do leaves them more susceptible to chips than others. Lots of highway driving through construction zones leaves the car particularly vulnerable in my case. The last car I had without film, a Lexus, had chips all over the bumper, hood and fenders - definitely well over 100 small chips that affected the value of the car when I got rid of it (not to mention needing to see them every time I got in the car). If I thought I would be limited to a handful of minor paint chips I wouldn't bother either.
      07-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #53
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Well, I'm getting Xpel installed on my M3 on Monday. I do enough highway driving on crappy Virginia roads, plus I have to park outside at work.

The SS touch up paint just doesn't look good. $2k to protect a $70k+ car seems like a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #54
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

My wife's father thought I was crazy for getting a clear bra on my daily '14 Mazda 3 when I bought it. My wife didn't get one on her '14 Mazda CX-5. Our cars have similar miles on them and the difference in the paint is noticeable. My father in law even said how nice the car looks even with +35k miles on it. This was just a $500 clear bra (the whole front bumper, both mirrors, half the hood and fenders). I'm not even aware of the brand. It was installed by the dealer when I asked if they offered it.

I got on the clear bra kick from having a weekend car that also went to HPDE and other various driving events like Tail of the Dragon. The nose of those cars were eaten to death from rocks. Once I got the clear bra, the paint not only looked better because of the protective coating but usually a heavy impact would hurt the clear bra but not break through and damage the paint.

I know that I'll be driving somewhere and (as it's happened before) some truck 3 lanes over will drop a baseball sized rock on the ground and it will hop it's way right to the hood, or worse, the CF roof and just my stuff up. So I have no reservations about installing a clear bra on my car. My wife has said she will be doing one on her future cars as well.
      07-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #55
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
I have a near identical chip. Just ordered some Dr. Colorchip...I'll let you know how it goes.
      07-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #56
Tinilp
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsChrisM
Quote:
I have a near identical chip. Just ordered some Dr. Colorchip...I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks definitely want to know how well it blends (or doesn't)
Appreciate 0