Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

1200 mile break in and first dealer service timing question

Hello,

So to make a long story short, I was wondering when service should be done. I know that the break in service should be done at 1200 miles or the first year, whichever comes first but I picked up my car via ED in September but I took delivery back in the states in February. I don't drive the car much and it currently has 95 miles and I will be away until the end of this year so my question is, does the clock for service start when you first pickup in Munich or when you get your car back in the States? I am assuming it's when you receive it in Germany but I just wanted to make sure. Also how much wiggle room is there for the first service? I highly doubt I will hit 1200 miles anytime soon so how long can it be put off? Will the dealer even perform complimentary service on such a low mileage car? Also I've heard from some that the engine oil used in new cars is a "special" break in oil. If this is true then it seems logical to keep that oil as long as possible to help with the break in but I also don't want to risk going too far out of the recommended maintenance service from a records and documentation stand point. According to the car computer it says to get the car serviced in December.

Also I don't want to go too long and risk the dealer telling me I am too late for service.

I know I know, I should drive the car more and I want to but I can't in my current situation so putting more miles on the car is not an option at this time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Atomicchicken; 06-02-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
Hello,

So to make a long story short, I was wondering when service should be done. I know that the break in service should be done at 1200 miles or the first year, whichever comes first but I picked up my car via ED in September but I took delivery back in the states in February. I don't drive the car much and it currently has 95 miles and I will be away until the end of this year so my question is, does the clock for service start when you first pickup in Munich or when you get your car back in the States? I am assuming it's when you receive it in Germany but I just wanted to make sure. Also how much wiggle room is there for the first service? I highly doubt I will hit 1200 miles anytime soon so how long can it be put off? Will the dealer even perform complimentary service on such a low mileage car? Also I've heard from some that the engine oil used in new cars is a "special" break in oil. If this is true then it seems logical to keep that oil as long as possible to help with the break in but I also don't want to risk going too far out of the recommended maintenance service from a records and documentation stand point. According to the car computer it says to get the car serviced in December.

Also I don't want to go too long and risk the dealer telling me I am too late for service.

I know I know, I should drive the car more and I want to but I can't in my current situation so putting more miles on the car is not an option at this time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
There's a timer on the car that will let you know when service should be completed. Every time you start the car, it will show up in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
There's a timer on the car that will let you know when service should be completed. Every time you start the car, it will show up in iDrive.
+1 on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Thanks. According to the car the last time I started it up, it said the next service is due in December. I guess I'll just follow what the car says.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicchicken View Post
Thanks. According to the car the last time I started it up, it said the next service is due in December. I guess I'll just follow what the car says.
Follow what the car says. I've heard some dealers are sticklers and won't service your car for free unless the light is on.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
Atomicchicken
Private
Rep

Thank you all for your opinions. I’ll just follow what iDrive says. Simple. Hehe
Appreciate 0