BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

08-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

EPS pull/ drift compensation flash

Gents;

Does anyone know if its possible to do this calibration or fix? See post: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1605874

After two days of troubleshooting my dealer is unable to figure this problem out. They are attempting to throw hardware (control arms) at the car to fix the issue. However I feel the EPS flash will fix the issue as stated by many M3/4CS owners already. They are not willing to do it because BMW says it wont fix the problem due to the production date being newer than the TSB.

Currently awaiting a call back from the service manager explaining this, however I wanted to see if I could DIY it.

Edit: I should mention from what I've gathered the CS already has all the modules updated, the pull-drift setting just needs to be enabled?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:51 AM   #2
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl630 View Post
Gents;

Does anyone know if its possible to do this calibration or fix? See post: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1605874

After two days of troubleshooting my dealer is unable to figure this problem out. They are attempting to throw hardware (control arms) at the car to fix the issue. However I feel the EPS flash will fix the issue as stated by many M3/4CS owners already. They are not willing to do it because BMW says it wont fix the problem due to the production date being newer than the TSB.

Currently awaiting a call back from the service manager explaining this, however I wanted to see if I could DIY it.

Edit: I should mention from what I've gathered the CS already has all the modules updated, the pull-drift setting just needs to be enabled?
Your car doesn’t need a flash, as you said your software version is new enough to already have this option available in the electronic power steering system. They just need to code in the correct value to enable pull/drift compensation.

Here’s the text from SIB 32 01 17, Step 13 will apply to you after they tule out a mechanical issue like a tire radial pull, damaged suspension, etc as causing your particular issue.

SITUATION
Vehicle is reportedly pulling to one side (when no braking is being attempted).
CAUSE
The design concept of M vehicles is to provide maximum feedback from the driving surface and, in combination with the tires, may present vehicle pull to one side following the road camber.
CORRECTION
Verify all the parameters of the steering and suspension components on the front axle.
PROCEDURE
For conditions that are similar to the situation described:
1. Carry out a test drive with the customer to replicate the issue.

2. Note all pertinent wheel/tire data.

3. Verify tires are inflated as per specifications on the B-pillar tire data label.

4. Check the tire tread for damage and repair as needed.

5. Inspect the front axle components of the chassis and suspension including wishbone, tension struts and track rod, repairing any abnormalities discovered.

6. Take vehicle measurements using the Kinematics Diagnosis System (KDS). Restore all as close to setpoint values as possible

7. Test drive vehicle.

Have the driving characteristics been improved?
YES- return vehicle to customer.
NO – go to next step.
8. Exchange the left and right front wheels.

9. Test drive vehicle.

Have the driving characteristics been improved?
YES- return vehicle to customer.
NO – go to next step.
10. Exchange wheels back to their original locations.

11. Check production date of vehicle.

Was vehicle produced prior to July 1, 2017?
YES- Go to next step.
NO – Go to Step 13
12. Program and encode the vehicle to integration level F020-17-07-500 available in ISTA/P 3.62.0 or later (available mid-July 2107).

13. Retrofit with Pull Drift Compensation (PDC) function via Conversion-Activate Steering Assistance Retrofitting

Last edited by Remonster; 09-09-2019 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl630 View Post
Gents;

How'd it go with the alignment?
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0