Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Comp 6mt

Newbie: “Oil level” vs “Measure oil level”

Hi guys,

I put a deposit down on a 2016 M4. I drove it yesterday and all seemed ok. I had a little bit of paranoia this morning and remembered that I didn’t check the oil level via iDrive. So I went back and asked for some more time with the car. The “oil level” status said that the level was OK but when I opted to measure it, it blocked me out because the car was not at operating temperature. The sales guy was with me and I didn’t want to take any more of his time so I turned the car off.

My question is if the oil level showed the level to be ok do I have anything to worry about? I looked up a PDF of the owners manual to get some more clarity on the difference between these two screens but still don’t fully get it. If the level is showing as OK then why would I need to measure the oil? If the oil status is ok then wouldn’t the measurement show as full?

Was the oil status shown me from the previous day (I test drove it the night before) or is it status of the oil right then and there?

In short do I have anything to worry about? Last thing I want is an engine that was run low on oil. They did do a PPI and noted engine level was ok but I’m not sure if they actually measured it or if they looked at the same screen I did that said oil level was OK.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rahul718; 06-29-2019 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

If it’s low you would get a warning via I drive. “OK” means it’s somewhere within the hashmark range. The car need to be driven a couple times around the block before you can actually measure. Further these engines don’t really run hot like the x5M so the level should be fine unless the car was neglected.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
If it’s low you would get a warning via I drive. “OK” means it’s somewhere within the hashmark range. The car need to be driven a couple times around the block before you can actually measure. Further these engines don’t really run hot like the x5M so the level should be fine unless the car was neglected.
Thanks for replying. I guess my question is this... when I went to the dealer this morning to look at it again to check the oil level I only had it started for a minute and the oil level check said it was OK. Was this in real time or was it logged from the last test drive I did the night before when I drove it for a bit? I know the “measure oil level” requires the car be at operating temperature to give a good reading and that’s why I wasn’t able to get a reading. Yet the “oil level” screen still showed the level as OK.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I think "oil level ok" is logged from the last time it was checked via idrive. So if it's been three weeks and the oil level has gone down slightly but still within the range it should be for it to be "ok" then it won't change to alert you that the oil level is low.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

You are worrying over nothing. If the level was low then a warning indicator would pop up. Ok means just that, it's ok. As others have said, the engine needs to be at operating temp to get an actual measurement on the digital dipstick but the car does periodic checks on its own thus the status of "ok".

Also, the s55 engine has no history of burning oil so as long as the correct amount of oil is filled at the time of an oil change then there should be nothing to worry about until the next oil service.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
You are worrying over nothing. If the level was low then a warning indicator would pop up. Ok means just that, it's ok. As others have said, the engine needs to be at operating temp to get an actual measurement on the digital dipstick but the car does periodic checks on its own thus the status of "ok".

Also, the s55 engine has no history of burning oil so as long as the correct amount of oil is filled at the time of an oil change then there should be nothing to worry about until the next oil service.
Thanks. Would you say the “oil level” screen is a shortcut to get a quick assessment of oil level before driving? And the “measure oil level” screen would be for more detail if you wanted to know whether or not you need to add oil?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul718 View Post
Quote:

Thanks. Would you say the “oil level” screen is a shortcut to get a quick assessment of oil level before driving? And the “measure oil level” screen would be for more detail if you wanted to know whether or not you need to add oil?
Yes the first screen just gives a quick indicator whether it's ok or not. The measure engine oil process actually measures the exact oil level and displays a digital dipstick with the measurement indicated. In order to measure the oil the car must be at operating temp, on a level surface, and stationary. It takes a minute or so for the process to complete.

Out of curiosity, why are you so concerned with the oil level?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Rahul718
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes the first screen just gives a quick indicator whether it's ok or not. The measure engine oil process actually measures the exact oil level and displays a digital dipstick with the measurement indicated. In order to measure the oil the car must be at operating temp, on a level surface, and stationary. It takes a minute or so for the process to complete.

Out of curiosity, why are you so concerned with the oil level?
Previous car purchase. I did all the usual things when I inspected it EXCEPT checking the oil level (stupid mistake) and when I got home with it I realized the dipstick was dry. I was so worried that there could have been engine damage. I went ahead and did a compression and leak down test to assess the engine condition and it turned out to be ok but it was a very nerve wracking experience.
That’s where my mind went with this one too...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Ask for new tires or money off for them. If I’m reading that report right that set is done.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:

What is the correct amount? I've heard several owners say they but about a quart of oil between 3-4K mike oil changes some not a drop.

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPro_F80 View Post
Quote:

What is the correct amount? I've heard several owners say they but about a quart of oil between 3-4K mike oil changes some not a drop.
6.9qts/6.5L is the correct oil amount.

As for adding oil in between changes, i have not heard of anyone needing to do this on their M3/4 but it doesn't necessarily mean there is an issue if some top up oil is needed.
Appreciate 0