proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #1
Vehicle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m3

Rear bumper hit

I walked out to my car yesterday, and noticed the rear bumper had been struck near the bottom. It has a defined round hit mark, and then a drag/sliding mark after it. Almost as if someone was backing out turning toward the car, hit it barely, then corrected their turn slightly, and continued on down the bumper. Who knows, that's just my "makes me feel better to theorize what happened" scenario. Anyhow, anyone had experience with this kind of minimal bumper damage? Am I going to have to replace the whole bumper, paint the whole bumper etc. to get it right? Thanks in advance! ** I just realized after typing this that I can't attach pictures. Will circle back with links tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehicle View Post
I walked out to my car yesterday, and noticed the rear bumper had been struck near the bottom. It has a defined round hit mark, and then a drag/sliding mark after it. Almost as if someone was backing out turning toward the car, hit it barely, then corrected their turn slightly, and continued on down the bumper. Who knows, that's just my "makes me feel better to theorize what happened" scenario. Anyhow, anyone had experience with this kind of minimal bumper damage? Am I going to have to replace the whole bumper, paint the whole bumper etc. to get it right? Thanks in advance! ** I just realized after typing this that I can't attach pictures. Will circle back with links tomorrow.
Do you have blindspot warning?

If so, you need a new bumper regardless.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

That's rough. Hope the best for you, but it does sound like you would at least need paint.
      06-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vehicle View Post
Sooooo, I highly recommend not replacing the bumper. I was bumped and had two dents smaller than a pinky finger nail, and being the OCD person I am, bought a brand new OEM bumper. They could never match the paint. After a year, we decided to repair the old bumper, which thankfully I kept in the attack, and blend the repaired spots.

I’ve had many many sleepless nights over it. Save yourself the hassle and let them repair the bumper and blend the paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

honestly hard to keep a bumper perfect. try to repair; will be less of an eyesore than a new paint
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

repaint it, and call it good.

a new bumper will be expensive
a new bumper will likely go through insurance, which will show on your Carfax
if it goes on your Carfax, it will diminish value as the potential buyer will think its a bigger accident....
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

1.clean the surface of the damage thoroughly,
2.try to straighten/align the surface best way you can (there are many methods depends on the damage)
3.sand it with 80 grit
4. apply fillers and wait until it dries
5. sand it with 80 100 120 grit - make sure you sand it well cuz it needs to be perfect
6. clean the surface again and wet sand it with 400 + grit
7. priming the surface - two coats I recommend and then make sure it dries completely
8. dry sand it with 400 grit and then wet sand it after and then let it dry again
9. spray the basecoat
10. Spray Clearcoat
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
$450 for spot repair on the bumper from a reputable shop.

was rear ended decently in my old 3 series and had the dealer replace it since it wasn't my fault. cost over $3000 for new bumper + paint + install
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

I would need a spot fix too, if anyone know a good spot in socal...
Appreciate 0