Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
barndt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Coding (BimmerCode) Issue with Bimmer-Tech MMI Module

Apologies if this is already a known issue, but I couldn't find anything on it when searching, and as this was my first time coding, it nearly gave me a heart attack when it happened so I thought I'd share in hopes it may help someone else.

When attempting to code head unit (HU_NBT) options using BimmerCode (both in standard and "expert mode"), I got an error code stating that coding failed.

Not only did the coding fail, but when it failed, the iDrive monitor turned off - and would not turn back on even when I rolled back to a backup and cycled the ignition. Fortunately when I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, it finally came back on.

I eventually determined that it was due to the Bimmer-Tech MultiMedia Interface module harness that I had previously installed as part of installation of the reverse camera and SmartView HD Flex. Once I removed the MMI harness, and plugged the factory harness directly into the head unit, I was able to code all HU options successfully, after which I re-installed the MMI harness and everything worked great!

Not sure if this is specific to the BimmerCode app or if it happens with all coding software or if it's specific to the OBD wireless adapter I used (Veepeak OBDCheck BLE).

Hope this helps someone else! I'm a new BMW owner, so am just diving into the world of "retrofits" and "coding". This forum has been a huge resource!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Had this happen to me with Bimmercode and the Bimmertech MMI. This only happened when I would code something with the headunit. All other modules worked fine. It would fail and the head unit wouldnt turn on for a bit. It will automatically turn on after awhile.

I just upgraded the MMI controller to the new one with Carplay plus and now works perfectly with coding the headunit. No more fails. Totally worth it along with having full screen carplay in my 2015!!

BTW I pretty much have bimmertech's full suite on my civic 2015 f80. Front and rear cameras, front door comfort access and now the upgraded MMI controller with full screen CarPlay.
Appreciate 0