Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #23
clickclacksmack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 SO f80

Just installed this. Had to trim down some plastic inside the cover in order to get the clips to lock in. Still a straight-forward 10 minute install.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #24
chimp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Installed this on a 2015 M4. Lots of helpful tips here. I had no issues disassembling or keeping the existing lock mechanism in case of emergency. I did not have to shave down any part and it looks fantastic. Two issues however. First, the door handle itself became unhinged from the metal bracket that holds it in place inside the door. I accidentally grabbed the door handle during installation and that was enough to unseat it. I thought for sure I would have to take off the interior door card to reattach it but the clever chaps at BMW have a second smaller hole which allows you to take a long screwdriver, reach inside the door and reattach the door handle to the inner metal bracket. You can see that hole in post 12 of this thread. It is adjacent to the hole you use to loosen the Torx 25 screw. Second, my comfort access did not work initially. I went to the passenger side and the comfort access worked there. I thought for sure that monkeying around with the door handle earlier messed something up but I simply started the car, turned it off and voila comfort access was again working. I always find a way to take the easiest task and make it difficult. Perfect fit though and the Silverstone paint is a fantastic match. Thanks IND!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #25
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A10-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp View Post
Installed this on a 2015 M4. Lots of helpful tips here. I had no issues disassembling or keeping the existing lock mechanism in case of emergency. I did not have to shave down any part and it looks fantastic. Two issues however. First, the door handle itself became unhinged from the metal bracket that holds it in place inside the door. I accidentally grabbed the door handle during installation and that was enough to unseat it. I thought for sure I would have to take off the interior door card to reattach it but the clever chaps at BMW have a second smaller hole which allows you to take a long screwdriver, reach inside the door and reattach the door handle to the inner metal bracket. You can see that hole in post 12 of this thread. It is adjacent to the hole you use to loosen the Torx 25 screw. Second, my comfort access did not work initially. I went to the passenger side and the comfort access worked there. I thought for sure that monkeying around with the door handle earlier messed something up but I simply started the car, turned it off and voila comfort access was again working. I always find a way to take the easiest task and make it difficult. Perfect fit though and the Silverstone paint is a fantastic match. Thanks IND!
Man... sometimes it's the simplest statements. I grabbed the door handle also. Your advice was very welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #26
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M3

Send a message via AIM to mugennosora
Hello Ryan@IND, do you make the passenger side? OEM no longer sell the Passenger side painted, and so i am looking to find ways around it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #27
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugennosora View Post
Hello Ryan@IND, do you make the passenger side? OEM no longer sell the Passenger side painted, and so i am looking to find ways around it.
PM Sent.

866-963-4520 • FACEBOOKINSTAGRAMFLICKR
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #28
zimzimma
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So I ordered the painted keyhole cover and left it with the shop to install while they were doing some other body work. I just noticed that after installing the painted cover they returned the original piece but it has the entire lock cylinder attached to it.

Question 1: how can the replacement cover be attached if there is no cylinder?

Question 2: How is the comfort access still working?

Question 3: With no cylinder in place could this cause any issues down the road?

Thanks!

Last edited by zimzimma; 11-11-2017 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #29
LOW4LYF
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

How you going to open your door once your battery is dead?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #30
zimzimma
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
How you going to open your door once your battery is dead?
That’s what I was wondering...🤔
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:29 AM   #31
Bluer2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

I locked my key in the trunk. How do I go about breaking this key hole cover to gain access to the key hole?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #32
mugennosora
Master Wang
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 2016 M3

Send a message via AIM to mugennosora
Why break it? Find spare key, call to remote unlock, BMW app. All works to unlock
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:44 AM   #33
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzimma View Post
So I ordered the painted keyhole cover and left it with the shop to install while they were doing some other body work. I just noticed that after installing the painted cover they returned the original piece but it has the entire lock cylinder attached to it.

Question 1: how can the replacement cover be attached if there is no cylinder?

Question 2: How is the comfort access still working?

Question 3: With no cylinder in place could this cause any issues down the road?

Thanks!
You need to keep the cylinder part and the white plastic part behind the cover . You just replace the painted cover.
Confort access works fine.
Video

Last edited by Nonopr01; 05-31-2018 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #34
BoostinChick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickclacksmack View Post
Just installed this. Had to trim down some plastic inside the cover in order to get the clips to lock in. Still a straight-forward 10 minute install.
Installed today and had this issue as well. I was afraid to trim down anything on the cover itself since it was freshly painted. I "massaged" it into place with a flat head and light hammer taps on the lock cylinder itself. One good smack and the black tabs locked into place.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #35
zohaibkhawaja
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

What is the easiest way to break this piece if one's battery dies?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #36
VeeralS05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB ZCP ‘17

I'm surprised there isn't a new version that allows ease to access the cylinder head to put in a key or just a plug to cover the key hole.

Instagram.com/Veeral4Real
Appreciate 0