Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #111
fernisatree
Germany
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3

You do not have the full circuitry for the headlights to work. I know for a fact your headlights do not perform the same as Paul cause i had the same headlights as you before i bought EU spec ones. I do now know how to get through to you that the headlights are different internally with the same part number. If you read this thread there are several people trying to let you know this. I have nothing new to contribute to this thread, everything in this thread shows what you need to have proper GFHB operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Fernisatree - Riddle me this. PaulM and I both have the exact same left and right BMW headlight part numbers. Agreed, the circuit boards on the left light do look different. It is of my opinion that they both PaulM and my headlights will perform exactly the same. Again, from an assembly standpoint, there would be no way for BMW to discern differences in parts when they have the same part number. Do we really think that these parts are sub sorted, at assembly, by a manufacturer part number which somehow differs from the BMW part number? I don't think so and only a BMW employee could tell us for sure what the real deal is with these lights. I still have 3 LEDs on the bottom of my left light.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #112
PaulM
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernisatree View Post
So the video is kinda shaky but this is pretty much what my headlights do on the autobahn. Since oncoming traffic is there and you are going at a higher speed the left high beam usually doesn't move until its been awhile for traffic coming by. I do not know the timing. Paul it looks like you have the required hardware, unfortunately noone you do not. Maybe the glare you have Paul is from the locking tabs? I have no idea what or where they are honestly. Also to keep note it is a computer and camera, it takes time for the computer to register headlights or tail lights. There has been times driving over here the headlights did not tunnel cause it didnt register the car in front of me. Maybe this is what you are having? I get a split second of glare from adaptive headlights over here all the time and is considered normal. It is the constant glare that is no good. Paul when you drive around does it look like a tunnel shadow with the headlights in the middle with low beams? There is a thread with the beam pattern picture around here somewhere give me this weekend and ill find it. Sorry for the word vomit but its late here and i feel bad for not responding earlier.
Thank you for taking the time!
When I drove at slower speeds, 70-75 km/h, I would indeed see the tunnel around the car in front of me, and it looked like what you're describing with slight glare that doesn't last very long.
The problem is when I tried it on the highway at higher speeds (122 km/h in the video and also tried it at 100 km/h during the same drive) I would not see the tunnel around the cars in front of me, I would only see the passenger side of the road illuminated with high beams and the driver side would only have low beams even though there was no oncoming traffic for a while.
I'm wondering if it's maybe an issue with the coding in terms of how the GFHB behave at different speeds?
Looking at various BMW GFHB videos posted online, it would seem that shutting all high beam LEDs on the driver side is not what should happen when oncoming traffic is detected. To better illustrate what I mean, I added a few drawings of how the light cutoff looked while on the highway for my car in comparison to what they looked like in other videos (sorry for my poor drawing skills).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I coded each parameter one by one. I can share my cheat sheet.
That would be great! Do your headlights behave similarly to mine on the highway after coding VLD and GFHB?

Thanks

Paul
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #113
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Thank you for taking the time!
When I drove at slower speeds, 70-75 km/h, I would indeed see the tunnel around the car in front of me, and it looked like what you're describing with slight glare that doesn't last very long.
The problem is when I tried it on the highway at higher speeds (122 km/h in the video and also tried it at 100 km/h during the same drive) I would not see the tunnel around the cars in front of me, I would only see the passenger side of the road illuminated with high beams and the driver side would only have low beams even though there was no oncoming traffic for a while.
I'm wondering if it's maybe an issue with the coding in terms of how the GFHB behave at different speeds?
Looking at various BMW GFHB videos posted online, it would seem that shutting all high beam LEDs on the driver side is not what should happen when oncoming traffic is detected. To better illustrate what I mean, I added a few drawings of how the light cutoff looked while on the highway for my car in comparison to what they looked like in other videos (sorry for my poor drawing skills).

That would be great! Do your headlights behave similarly to mine on the highway after coding VLD and GFHB?

Thanks

Paul
My GFHB behave similarly to your on the highway, which is normal, since the uncoming cars are rather far away being seperated by the wide median, it is not really possible to make the dark tunnel around them, but the right high beam stays on for a clear far ahead view of road signs and the shoulder.

Your video doesn't show what happens when you follow a car. In my case, in single lane country roads, I can clearly see the tunnel in front of me when either following or crossing oncoming cars. While following a truck, I doodled with the lights to test them (knowing I would not bother the driver too much because of the box). When I turned off the HBA, both sides of the road would become dark. When I turned on the manual high beams, the back of the truck would light up brightly along with the sides of the road. When I switched on the HBA, both sides of the road would remain illuminated but the back of the truck would become dark.
      06-07-2019, 03:09 AM   #114
PaulM
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive

When I would follow a car on single lane country roads, I would see a tunnel around the car in front of me.
On the highway I would only get the passenger side shoulder illuminated, whether I had a car in front of me or a truck. If I would turn the GFHB off, only the passenger side shoulder would dim, the driver side wouldn't change since it was already on low beams.
I'll test it some more in the coming days, ideally on darker roads.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #115
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

You guys certainly have been busy while I was away. There are a few other things that haven't been mentioned that I'm now aware of. The refelector optics are different for US Market regardless of which LED board is installed, but that is minor compared to the other more significant variables of which I cannot see a way to disseminate for public use.
      06-29-2019, 03:16 AM   #116
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
When I would follow a car on single lane country roads, I would see a tunnel around the car in front of me.
On the highway I would only get the passenger side shoulder illuminated, whether I had a car in front of me or a truck. If I would turn the GFHB off, only the passenger side shoulder would dim, the driver side wouldn't change since it was already on low beams.
I'll test it some more in the coming days, ideally on darker roads.

Paul
I think that’s how it is supposed to behave...