Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Steering wheel leather fade fix

So I posted a while back about how my steering whee had started to fade after like 4 months of owning this car. Dealership wouldn't replace it. Frustrating. So anyways, I found a solution. Anyone else that has this issue it's an easy fix. Bought a kit from http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Delu...Kit-p/dlrk.htm and the color code is 917 for BMW. The first pic is of the wheel before and second is after. The kit came with everything I needed. Instructions aren't amazing. But it's easy enough. Started with the cleaner. Then there's a black scrubber and I gently used that to prep the leather for the dye. Then dip the sponge in the dye and blot it on the wheel evenly. Let dry for 24 hours and repeated this 3 times. Gave it one last scrub with the black wool scrubber thing. Really gently to smooth it all out. Then applied the protection cream. Looks great to me. Can't tell at all now. Super happy with the results.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      10-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Sad that BMW couldn't do anything about this.
Appreciate 1
drexplode1781.50
      10-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37
Sad that BMW couldn't do anything about this.
They wouldn't take responsibility because they said it could have been an outside influence like a cleaner or something that ruined it. Which it wasn't..... if it was an outside source like that, it would have ruined the entire wheel. Not just the top. oh well. It was like $50 for the kit and it worked perfectly. So I'm happy. Seeing that part of the wheel drove me CRAZY! glad it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
hamanncheese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F15 X5

Looks great! Does the repaired area feel any different? Oh and hello from Irvine. Is your car lowered by any chance?
| Osram CBB |
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure a lot of us will need to do this at sometime.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamanncheese
Looks great! Does the repaired area feel any different? Oh and hello from Irvine. Is your car lowered by any chance?
Feels just like the rest of the wheel. The 917 is a matte finish. When first applied it feels and looks different. I was a little stressed and worried. You also kind of blot the dye with the sponge so the texture did feel a bit different. First coat was the worst. Each one after got better and more even. Then after the last coat it looked a little more matte than the rest and did feel a little rough still so I decided to give it a super gentle, light rub with the wool pad. I noticed each time I did that before applying the next coat of dye that it shined it up a bit and smoothed it out. But the first few times I did it you could then see the part up top peaking through. So I tried it after the third round and thought it if did it again I'd just dye it again. The instructions say it'll take 3-4 times. So I did it thinking I'd have to do it again, but it looked and felt perfect. So happy with the results. It looks and feels brand new. Oh, I also did the entire top section from seam to seam. Not just the spot that was faded. I think that was key to it looking as good as it does.

Also, no, I'm not lowered. Why do you ask???
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 12:37 AM   #7
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Amazing!! Never knew this thing exists! Thanks for sharing

M
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba
Amazing!! Never knew this thing exists! Thanks for sharing

M
Yeah I know a few other people have posted the same issue so hopefully someone else will find this useful
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Looks great. I'm amazed the top of the wheel is so warn. Not sure my hands have ever even touch the top of the wheel once.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #10
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia
Looks great. I'm amazed the top of the wheel is so warn. Not sure my hands have ever even touch the top of the wheel once.
Yeah my hands probably touch that spot .00001% of the time I drive. It got like that about 4 months into owning the car. It was clearly something wrong with the leather. Took it to McKenna BMW and they said it was most likely from the dealer prep. If it was from the dealer prep, how would I be responsible? I had A LOT of issue with the car when I first got it. TONS of cosmetic issues. So this should have been covered. Probably could have been if I made a big enough deal over. Not worth it. So dumb..... but whatever, not a big deal. Was able to fix it easily. All I care about is that I don't have to look at that any longer. Drove me insane!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Nice find, I need to do this to the door handle area on my wifes f10. Your steering wheel looks kinda lumpy on the top portion....you been squeezing it like a stress relief ball? lol
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer
Nice find, I need to do this to the door handled area on my wifes f10. Your steering wheel looks kinda lumpy on the top portion....you been squeezing it like a stress ball?lol
Hahaha I think it's the angle of the picture. Around the back of the wheel there's little ridges. I think that's what you're seeing. It's where those ridges meet the top of the wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:30 AM   #13
chmsalman
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i x-drive

Leatherique

I had the same issue on an F10. I bought a similar kit from Leatherique and actually never ended up using it. Mine looked exactly like yours.

All you really need is the Leatherique Rejuvenator and Cleaner. I went through the trouble of taking the wheel off, wrapping parts I didn't have to dye, and just started with the rejuvenator before proceeding to sanding and dying.

Lo and behold, the rejuvenator was good enough. Just massage it onto the wheel with your hands, exerting a good amount of pressure with your thumbs. 10 minutes later, I wiped it off with the cleaner and the wheel looked brand new.

Never ended up using the dye kit at all. For the amount of product I used, it might have been $10...CAD.

Now I swear by Leatherique, and use loads of that stuff all over my car. I've never been happier with a product in my life, and I must say I'm usually difficult to please.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
sjdennis
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335is E93, '01 M Roadster

This post is over 2 years old now. It looks beautiful. I'm curious to know if the OP can comment on how it has held up over time.

Thanks,
Dennis
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdennis View Post
This post is over 2 years old now. It looks beautiful. I'm curious to know if the OP can comment on how it has held up over time.

Thanks,
Dennis
It held up great. Had the car for 3 years and it never did that again after fixing it
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #16
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
OP and everyone else concerned,

I had this same issue with my original steering wheel. I have copied the link to the thread below. Ironically enough, someone has commented and brought it back to life and I literally just updated with my experience. Glad to help anyway I can! Feel free to ask

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1276409
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:08 AM   #17
KnockTsuKow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

steering wheel fade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
It held up great. Had the car for 3 years and it never did that again after fixing it
Man can you do this for me since I am in Irvine and I;ll pay you bro!
Great article and I had a spot faded like that
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #18
marmit2017
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 535i 13 328i xDrive

Im having the same issue now on my f10. Bought the dye and just waiting for it to come in. I've tried leatherique as a member on here said it worked for them, however it didn't work for me. I plan on taking off the steering wheel to remove all of the trim pieces to dye the entire wheel. Do you think the small 4 oz bottle will be enough for the whole wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
stylelullaby
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i convertible

Question question about leatherworldtech repair kit for BMW steering wheel?

I just bought a lightly used 430i convertible and noticed some fading on the top of the steering wheel. Interested in trying the leather repair kit that OP used to touch up and essentially dye this area. After selecting the color code 917, it's asking me to select the gloss/color adjusting kit options. The gloss drop down menu has the following options: satin low-gloss, semi-gloss, and high-gloss. For the original matte finish, would it just be satin low-gloss? Wanted to ask before purchasing. Also guessing I won't need the color adjusting kit? Finally, would the 4oz touch-up size suffice? I'm a bit concerned about possibly needing to dye the whole wheel if the color comes out inconsistent at the top lol

Thanks in advance for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 07:58 AM   #20
pinco000
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48

Hi guys I know this thread is VERY old but VERY usefull. I have done basically the same dying process to my faded steering wheel however the surface came out a bit "rough" after 3 layers of dye.
Any suggestions how to smoothen it out not causing any damage?
Thank you
Appreciate 0