proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #23
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Very helpful diy! Thanks for posting and taking the time to do a great job. A couple things I noted were the ground combs under the carpet in the passenger footwell, but these were both completely full. I tapped the ground into one of the wires in the comb on the right since they were of equal sizes and out of the way. Also those that are having power up issues, you may try soldering the power supply and ground wires instead of using the provided scotch locks. Perhaps that would give a better connection and eliminate or reduce the issue.
Hi MilehighM3, I would like to know isn't that the photo you shown is a MP Steering Wheel /w display retrofit on a "M2"?

I would like to do the same retrofit for my friend who recently received the M2. However, I found that ETK doen't this kind of steering wheel is compatible with M2. Any idea? If it is compatible, can you tell me the part no. of this steering wheel?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
bordins145.00
      06-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolala
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Very helpful diy! Thanks for posting and taking the time to do a great job. A couple things I noted were the ground combs under the carpet in the passenger footwell, but these were both completely full. I tapped the ground into one of the wires in the comb on the right since they were of equal sizes and out of the way. Also those that are having power up issues, you may try soldering the power supply and ground wires instead of using the provided scotch locks. Perhaps that would give a better connection and eliminate or reduce the issue.
Hi MilehighM3, I would like to know isn't that the photo you shown is a MP Steering Wheel /w display retrofit on a "M2"?

I would like to do the same retrofit for my friend who recently received the M2. However, I found that ETK doen't this kind of steering wheel is compatible with M2. Any idea? If it is compatible, can you tell me the part no. of this steering wheel?

Thanks in advance!
That's correct. I looked through ETK and every part of an M2 and M3/4 steering wheel are the same, when comparably equipped. The only exception being the airbag is a different part number. I ordered the M4 steering wheel kit and the installation was no problem. It's still doing just fine, no issues. Order with confidence if you want one.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #25
philsM4
Philly50
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 MY16 BMW M4 Alpine White

Garage List
Wow, it's forum members like yourself that make these message boards so great!!! Thanks so much for the install thread! It is absolutely perfect. It turned a 2+ hour job into 45 mins. I had gathered all the tools/tape together before I started and it saved a ton of time. It went super smooth except for the x-mas light issue. The light issue occurred once after the install, but not since. My feeling is if it works 99% of the time than it's as good as it never happens . I know, I'll keep telling myself that...

Last edited by philsM4; 07-05-2016 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #26
MHOW996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 M4, 2022 Ford Bronco

Great Post!!

Thanks so much for this! We can use steps 1-3 for installing just the M performance finisher on the standard wheel as shown in the thread about the V2 version of the performance wheel.
The part number is 32 30 2 345 203 for the gloss carbon fiber trim piece. See post #143 and #150
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1256753&page=7

Appreciate 1
SSJAR26.50
      07-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Alternative Install instruction

Can't thank you enough for posting this. I received a different Install manual from the dealer. It did match Part # 32302344148, unlike your posted pdf. But I ended up needing both. Page 11 refers to pin 19/18 in FEM CON2, the manual I used did same but also mentioned that in some vehicles that connector's pin 18/19 may not be in use and pin 18/19 turn into 35/36 on CON7. Colors didn't match as described for the green wire to connect on CON3 PIN19, but I used it anyway and it does work. The ground wire i was able to connect to the left ground comb connector in the right hand footwell. I do have the same issues of the RPM not working all the time. But I am happy regardless with the result. So again thank you for doing the write up on the DIY. I'll attach the instruction manual i received.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf elecwheel.pdf (1.32 MB, 2367 views)

Last edited by M-Attack; 07-11-2016 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: added pdf instruction
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 05:58 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Hey guys this is a great thread! I wish the M6 forum were so adventurous!

I want to retrofit the M6 version of this wheel on my 2015 M6GC, but I can't get hold of the BMW install guide as UK dealers wont give it out - no one on the M6 forum has any idea!

Can any of you help me out and get hold of the instructions?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #29
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy

I want to retrofit the M6 version of this wheel on my 2015 M6GC, but I can't get hold of the BMW install guide as UK dealers wont give it out - no one on the M6 forum has any idea!

Thanks!
Got mine from BMW North Houston
Scott Dunham was more than helpful. Not sure if he would have access to one for the UK ones or if you could just mirror the US specs since yours is right hand drive.
His email just in case dunhams1@autonation.com
      07-21-2016, 11:09 PM   #30
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy

Thanks!
Shoot me a PM. I should be able to get you what you need
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 03:09 AM   #31
mickey35i
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi guys wondering if you can help. I installed the wheel over the weekend on my m135i, its the Race Wheel 1 which is the same install for f30 and f20. I have checked all connections three times along with a multi metre to check for continuance and all appears fine however the wheel won't light up.

I have attached a copy of instructions for my wheel which has all connections the same as per this thread.

just wondering which are the actual wires which make the wheel light up? would it be the green tapped to CON3 along with ground? Thinking maybe the ground is not string enough however it does have continuance between the module connector and ground source. I ended up using the glovebox metal.

another thing is that the horn does not work now, would this give anyone an indication of what the issue may be? wondering which connector in the sterring wheel if for the horn.

the only cables not connected in the wheel are two which incude a green and black plug as per the pictures from this how to post . these can connect together however they are different colors so I do not think they do (plus I don't have land departure warning and heaed sterring wheel so that's what they probably are).

all normal functions work and car is running but wheel wont light up like it has no power. I have checked fuses and they all look fine.

any ideas??

thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Steering Wheel 32302230197.pdf (1.01 MB, 1618 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 03:18 AM   #32
mickey35i
Rep

quick update, the horn is now working after takig the airbag off again and wriggling it around as the clips where not 100% contacting.

Checked all the wiring and all appears in order. Everything works except the dam thing wont light up
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #33
mickey35i
Rep

could it be the clock spring? I know this is for a different car below but he changed the clock spring in this video. The wheel I have did not come with a different clock spring and its already an m sport wheel so probably wont be that?

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #34
M-Attack
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey35i
Hi guys wondering if you can help. I installed the wheel over the weekend on my m135i, its the Race Wheel 1 which is the same install for f30 and f20. I have checked all connections three times along with a multi metre to check for continuance and all appears fine however the wheel won't light up.

I have attached a copy of instructions for my wheel which has all connections the same as per this thread.

just wondering which are the actual wires which make the wheel light up? would it be the green tapped to CON3 along with ground? Thinking maybe the ground is not string enough however it does have continuance between the module connector and ground source. I ended up using the glovebox metal.

another thing is that the horn does not work now, would this give anyone an indication of what the issue may be? wondering which connector in the sterring wheel if for the horn.

the only cables not connected in the wheel are two which incude a green and black plug as per the pictures from this how to post . these can connect together however they are different colors so I do not think they do (plus I don't have land departure warning and heaed sterring wheel so that's what they probably are).

all normal functions work and car is running but wheel wont light up like it has no power. I have checked fuses and they all look fine.

any ideas??

thanks!!
As far as I recall there is no green cable to be connected in the steering wheel. Just A7 socket to the steering wheel cluster. I had heated option, which will leave the white connector on the bottom right inside the steering wheel lose. No other cable would be laying around inside the wheel itself. The green cable coming with the retrofit is for the passenger side is called A1 and must be connected to the blue red cable of Pin19 with the miniature connector. A8 is the black cable that is being not used or connected unless you have lap timer. So I don't understand how you have a green and black cable still not connected. I would go thru the install again and make sure you didn't miss anything. Also check the ground wire. I'm no expert by any means. However did install the wheel myself. My guess it's the A1 green wire that gives you the problem as I messed up the wiring the first time around on Pin 18/19. That triggered a bunch of errors but the wheel still lit up. Also have a look at page 11 of the instruction I had and posted , which called for an alternative for pin 18/19 from con2 to con7 and had to use on my car. If that all doesn't work bite the bullet and have BMW look at it, you already did most of the labor, so it shouldn't be too expensive.
      08-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #35
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Does anyone know how much we are suppose to torque the 16mm hub bolt?

EDIT: Found the answer it is 46 ft lb in case anyone wanted to know
Appreciate 2
Nito31045.50
samsamdar584.50
      09-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #36
jpacc
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 MACAO BLUE

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
hi
i am having some trouble connecting the m performance steering i download the correct instructions because the first ones didn't function at all and the new ones mention the X5*1B thet i don't know which its any one can help with this
i have attached the one i download from vista with my vin number and part number
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf EDoc-1893256351.pdf (1.32 MB, 4464 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #37
jpacc
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 MACAO BLUE

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpacc View Post
hi
i am having some trouble connecting the m performance steering i download the correct instructions because the first ones didn't function at all and the new ones mention the X5*1B thet i don't know which its any one can help with this
i have attached the one i download from vista with my vin number and part number
thanks
hi
i found it on the vista have any one connect there so far ?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf WebISTA light.pdf (273.8 KB, 460 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #38
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Quick question, I just got a shop to install the electronic steering wheel for me, but I have a wire set that was returned to me and was told they were not needed.

My car is a 2016 M6, and this wire bundle looks like the wire for steering wheel control buttons, so maybe the shop just used my stock ones?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:42 PM   #39
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Thank you for this DIY. My left paddle shifter was loose and the dealership refused to service the wheel because it was "added on" by the previous owner. Nevertheless, I followed this guide and tightened the paddle shifter's retaining bolt. I pretty saved myself at least an hour's worth of labor cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #40
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #41
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acexxon View Post
Quick question, I just got a shop to install the electronic steering wheel for me, but I have a wire set that was returned to me and was told they were not needed.

My car is a 2016 M6, and this wire bundle looks like the wire for steering wheel control buttons, so maybe the shop just used my stock ones?
Yes, that is the harness for the left and right steering wheel controls, vibration motor, and wheel heater (but there is no heat on the M performance wheel). If any of that stuff still works on your wheel, somehow you got an extra harness and it isn't needed.
      11-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #42
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Awesome post! Shoutout to Reach! Thanks to you, there's another M235i on the road with the electronic steering wheel installed!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 12:58 PM   #43
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Anyone know if this can be fitted on a manual F87 M2?

I have the race wheel on my DCT M3 which I plan to transfer over to the manual M2.
      12-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #44
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Thanks for this! I used it to install my v2 in to my M2. Obviously skipped the electric parts. Here's the end result
Attached Images

Appreciate 0