BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #23
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
And increase their cost of tracking different part numbers and inventory for spares. I found out the A/C compressor for the 2018 (June 2018 manufacture) is different from the 2017 as well. Given that it's 1-1.5 years left of manufacturing for F80s, why in the hell did they change this component as well?
BMW doesn’t make these parts or headlight assemblies. Sometimes I imagine the suppliers make running changes like in the case of the alternator.

I suspect the headlight changes have to do with US DOT compliance.
Stay tuned. It's looking to not be a headlamp hardware issue. Just don't get too hopeful (unless one is in Canada).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Stay tuned. It's looking to not be a headlamp hardware issue. Just don't get too hopeful (unless one is in Canada).
Any more detail and/or insight on the Blue-Bold portion ?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
sebi04.04
Rep
Drives: F80 2018

Hey Guys,
i own a F80 Production Date 03/2018. MY Headlights seem to work properly, but compared to other BMW Cars with this feature, the performance of my M3 is really Bad.

Many times its just an continously On and Off with no meaning in the head light "steering" of the Headlight.

I did no Coding or anything, since it is all activated from Factory.

I'm thinking about updating the car with IST-P, maybe they updated some Values ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #26
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebi04.04 View Post
I'm thinking about updating the car with IST-P, maybe they updated some Values ?
Yes, values have changed, but you will need E-sys or ISTA+. P does not support F-series anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #27
sebi04.04
Rep

Hey,

thanks for your Answer. Which Modules should i update ? I'm thinking about updating my ISTA+ Programm and then do the Update on my Own.

Is there Information if the function works better after a precise I-Step (Or Time) ?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #28
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Umm. I have an '18 F80 built in 10/17. Upgraded from a '15 F80 with LEDs. Coded this on my '18 and it works perfectly fine compared to the '15. Tunnel of light clearly follows the car in front of me. In 1 year I have not been flashed. The tunnel clearly is below the car in front, not even up onto their trunks...They work EXACTLY as my '15 did. I detect no difference. I know BMW builds cars like software companies constantly update software with new or different hardware on cars being introduced on an almost monthly basis...maybe mine has "old" equipment?

Although I'd happily trade my '18 ZCP with working light tunnels for anyone else's M3CS

I will say that on the '15 and the '18 they do not work well on very curvy roads or hilly roads where you crest a peak and there's an oncoming car there, or come around a turn to an oncoming car, but my other cars with auto high beams don't do well in that situation either. Because of that I have my NGHB set to turn on at 52 MPH, below that speed they work as regular auto high beams, then on higher speed roads I get better visibility further out. I love driving on highways and the right light really illuminating the side of the road way ahead.

Read...no drive, the manual.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 12-07-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #29
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Stay tuned. It's looking to not be a headlamp hardware issue. Just don't get too hopeful ([COLOR="Blue"]unless one is in Canada[/COLOR]).
Any more detail and/or insight on the Blue-Bold portion ?
Tired of waiting on BMW to release the headlight locking plug removal tool (ETA Nov 2018 - well past that point now) so going to make a detour to Valeo either this afternoon or Monday to get one.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321113.50
      12-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #30
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tired of waiting on BMW to release the headlight locking plug removal tool (ETA Nov 2018 - well past that point now) so going to make a detour to Valeo either this afternoon or Monday to get one.
Looking forward for more info on this

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #31
sebi04.04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Umm. I have an '18 F80 built in 10/17. Upgraded from a '15 F80 with LEDs. Coded this on my '18 and it works perfectly fine compared to the '15. Tunnel of light clearly follows the car in front of me. In 1 year I have not been flashed. The tunnel clearly is below the car in front, not even up onto their trunks...They work EXACTLY as my '15 did. I detect no difference. I know BMW builds cars like software companies constantly update software with new or different hardware on cars being introduced on an almost monthly basis...maybe mine has "old" equipment?

Although I'd happily trade my '18 ZCP with working light tunnels for anyone else's M3CS

I will say that on the '15 and the '18 they do not work well on very curvy roads or hilly roads where you crest a peak and there's an oncoming car there, or come around a turn to an oncoming car, but my other cars with auto high beams don't do well in that situation either. Because of that I have my NGHB set to turn on at 52 MPH, below that speed they work as regular auto high beams, then on higher speed roads I get better visibility further out. I love driving on highways and the right light really illuminating the side of the road way ahead.

Thanks for posting your point of view on the situation! I am missing exactly this clear light tunnel! Yesterday I drove long in a not well lit street far away from a city and above the threshold of 51mph (don't know the Speed in km/h) it's not working well, it switches between High and Low Beam a lot, as if the Car is not sure what to do in a Situation and "trying" different light positions.

I will contact my BMW Dealer for an Update I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #32
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebi04.04 View Post
Thanks for posting your point of view on the situation! I am missing exactly this clear light tunnel! Yesterday I drove long in a not well lit street far away from a city and above the threshold of 51mph (don't know the Speed in km/h) it's not working well, it switches between High and Low Beam a lot, as if the Car is not sure what to do in a Situation and "trying" different light positions.

I will contact my BMW Dealer for an Update I guess
For my 2015 I coded exactly as the PDF coding sheet. For my 2018 I just used the E-Sys shortcuts assuming I'd have to tweak something, but they were right on.

Just remember when you are coding this remove 5AP and 8S4 from the active FA list and I had to code FEM_BODY, KAFAS, and both FLE modules. The shortcut makes all the line item changes to the modules, but you still have to enter each module individually, apply the macro, and then code the module - so a total of 4 of them. I think if you leave in 5AP and 8S4 it won't work correctly, as I did that on my '15 the first round. But sounds to me on this thread that the hardware has changed since the early '18s.

If you want to reset your car, and in the US, add 5AP and 8S4 back to your active FA list and VO code those modules...that will get them back to stock, but also erase anything else you may have coded.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #33
FIN_Nole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Seems to be a lot of debate which US cars are capable of being coded for anti-dazzle to work exactly as BMW intended. Is this driven by build date, hardware, software, or a combination thereof?

I have a 2017 F80 w/ ZCP ZDB ZEC ZLP (build date 9/16). Could I assume my adaptive full LED headlights with auto high beams could be coded and would function properly or is there more to it than that?

My window sticker listed
-Variable Light Decoding
-Decoding for no-dazzle hgh bm

Without getting into the coding itself, my understanding is that I would essentially just reverse the decoding and that would be all. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #34
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN_Nole View Post
Seems to be a lot of debate which US cars are capable of being coded for anti-dazzle to work exactly as BMW intended. Is this driven by build date, hardware, software, or a combination thereof?

I have a 2017 F80 w/ ZCP ZDB ZEC ZLP (build date 9/16). Could I assume my adaptive full LED headlights with auto high beams could be coded and would function properly or is there more to it than that?

My window sticker listed
-Variable Light Decoding
-Decoding for no-dazzle hgh bm

Without getting into the coding itself, my understanding is that I would essentially just reverse the decoding and that would be all. Is that correct?
No, simply removing the decoding is not sufficient. There are other parameters that need to be individually changed for the NGHB to function as intended.

Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #35
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post

I’m glad your headlights work as intended with the coding. I’d love to see a video of them in action as seen from a another car, so we can get an oncoming traffic point of view. Would you also mind posting a photo of the headlights themselves? Curious to see if you have the latest LCI lights like the later ‘18s and what part number is on the sticker on the headlight housing.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #36
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Looking forward for more info on this
Few more weeks until they can give me one. Also would you mind emailing or messaging me some pics from your car? Would also like to look at the NCD's and possibly do a quick remote session if you have time since it's original CAN market and production date far enough after this was legalized there to potentially make things a little easier for US cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #37
Rppngears
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 f80

I had the antidazzle coded on my 2018, build date 7/18, by Alex a couple months ago. It works perfectly! Never been flashed. Highly recommend doing this.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #38
PaulM
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive

Quote:
Few more weeks until they can give me one. Also would you mind emailing or messaging me some pics from your car? Would also like to look at the NCD's and possibly do a quick remote session if you have time since it's original CAN market and production date far enough after this was legalized there to potentially make things a little easier for US cars.
I have a 2019 F32 with active LED and SLI options for which I would also like get anti-dazzle working. So if you need another Canadian car to check things, let me know.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:08 AM   #39
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rppngears View Post
I had the antidazzle coded on my 2018, build date 7/18, by Alex a couple months ago. It works perfectly! Never been flashed. Highly recommend doing this.
He coded mine as well and told me after he finished that it wouldn’t work correctly. He was right...I got flashed a lot, and I wish he would have said something beforehand. I have SLI, Lane Assist, and LEDs, so it’s not a camera problem.

How did he get yours to work?? What hardware do you have? Mine was done in April and was useless from day 1. I ended up coding it myself back to USDM specs.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:20 AM   #40
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rppngears View Post
He coded mine as well and told me after he finished that it wouldn’t work correctly. He was right...I got flashed a lot, and I wish he would have said something beforehand. I have SLI, Lane Assist, and LEDs, so it’s not a camera problem.

How did he get yours to work?? What hardware do you have? Mine was done in April and was useless from day 1. I ended up coding it myself back to USDM specs.
On your car, if you look up into the headlight from below, are there 3 separate led chip sets for the lower half of the outer chamber on both headlamps?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #41
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let me know what pictures you need, I'll try to assist the best I can.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #42
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
On your car, if you look up into the headlight from below, are there 3 separate led chip sets for the lower half of the outer chamber on both headlamps?
I think no. On the passenger headlight, perhaps there are three chipsets, but not on the drivers side. It was difficult to photograph, but let me know if I'm looking at the correct PCB, or if you need any more info. The build date on my car was 20 Feb 2018.

Passenger

Driver
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #43
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
Quote:
I think no. On the passenger headlight, perhaps there are three chipsets, but not on the drivers side. It was difficult to photograph, but let me know if I'm looking at the correct PCB, or if you need any more info. The build date on my car was 20 Feb 2018.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Well I take back my earlier comment about the hardware.

Your driver's side is different in a few ways. Short one chipset and definitely different circuitry. PaulM sent me pics of his lights last night and both sides are mirror images of each other. This looks almost like it was ground down and redone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #44
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
����������������������������

Well I take back my earlier comment about the hardware.

Your driver's side is different in a few ways. Short one chipset and definitely different circuitry. PaulM sent me pics of his lights last night and both sides are mirror images of each other. This looks almost like it was ground down and redone.
Would you mind posting the photo PaulM sent you? Also curious what his headlight housing part number and the build date of his car are.

It also may be interesting to note that the left headlight seemed to work fine with GFHB coding. It was the right one that had all of the leakage in the forward regions.
Appreciate 0