BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #1
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Future Classic - M14 Titanium Stud Kit DIY

Begin by raising the car safely with an automotive jack. Support the vehicle with jack stand(s) and remove the wheel.

Remove the Future Classic wheel studs from the packaging and spin off the lug nuts.

Apply Loctite 262 Threadlocker to an individual stud at the shorter hub end. Spread the Loctite evenly around the threads. Once properly coated, carefully hand thread it into the hub. Repeat this step for all five (5) studs per hub.

Once all five (5) studs have been hand threaded into the hub, affix the two included nuts onto one stud. This “double nut” method will allow you to properly torque the stud into the hub.

Using two 21mm wrenches, ensure both nuts are pressed together before torqueing. Using a 3/8 torque wrench, torque the individual stud to 15.0 ft/lbs. Once the appropriate torque spec has been reached, use the same 21mm wrench pairing to loosen the two installation nuts. Spin them off by hand and repeat this step for all five (5) studs per hub.

With all the studs secured, reinstall the wheel and carefully hand thread each titanium lug nut into place before tightening them with a 19mm socket. Repeat this step after properly installing five (5) studs per hub until each corner has been addressed.

Finish the installation by lowering the car to the ground and properly torquing each lug nut to 95 ft/lbs. Drive the car around for a short duration to properly seat the lug nuts, let the car cool down completely, and then re-torque.
      05-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Sorry for my ignorance, what's the purpose of this mod? Did you repaint the calipers?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:27 AM   #3
Fblade
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have these been tested at the track(road course) at all as i seem to remember reading about someone having a set of Titanium studs break, this was from a different manufacturer obviously but would like to know these have been put through their paces.

@Roch M4 you have bolts on a standard M4 this is to convert to studs
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
IND-Distribution
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fblade View Post
Have these been tested at the track(road course) at all as i seem to remember reading about someone having a set of Titanium studs break, this was from a different manufacturer obviously but would like to know these have been put through their paces.

The bad news is always the loudest news, but Future Classic had these independently strength tested to quell any worry about failure. I have personally seen a ton of steel studs break at the track, especially with the M12 guys. I think it gets a bit lost on people that they are a wear item and should be replaced with regularity (1-2 years for a street car, 7 hours of track time). Here is a breakdown of the tensile / yield strength test results from FC:

- Grade 10.9 Steel: 150800 / 130000
- Future Classic 6AI/4V Titanium: 143000 / 133000
- Conventional 6AI/4V Titanium: 130000 / 128000

I think a majority of failure comes from either improper installation or simply overuse like I said before. I can't speak directly about other manufacturer's stud designs, but I can say that FC's effort certainly goes the extra mile to help safeguard against published failures. Many that I've seen on the forum shear at the hub face—FC's design with the raised shoulder / undercut is directly aimed to help remedy this issue wherein the installer won't be as easily able to over tighten the stud and thereby weaken the thread area.

In regard to strength...simply put, these studs will be as strong as your OE steel units—some opt to do HPDE with their OE equipment, but most do not. OE manufacturers, like Ferrari, have been using titanium fasteners for some time, but for true competition you'll see them using steel 100% without a doubt. Surely, some Ferrari customers will see track use (HPDE), but I think largely this clientele is replacing this hardware with regularity.

For what it's worth, Future Classic actually offers race-dedicated steel variants for competition use specifically and a robust dual-duty street/track steel unit is in development. The race-dedicated unit is really the ultimate when it comes to strength and has a dry graphite coating to help nuts go on/off with ease over time. I can absolutely tell you these, along with Future Classic's wheel spacers have been put through hell and back with testing and they are every bit as good as advertised! As a pure race stud, it does not have corrosion resistance, which prompted FC to also consider a third variant (upcoming) to help truly serve every customer's demands.

Hope that helps!
      05-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Why is it that stud conversions are supposed to be replaced every 1-2 years when cars that have studs from the factory are never changed unless they break due to misuse?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
IND-Distribution
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Why is it that stud conversions are supposed to be replaced every 1-2 years when cars that have studs from the factory are never changed unless they break due to misuse?
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've always made it a habit to replace studs or lug bolts in regular intervals. Even when I had a BRZ (which have studs from the factory) I replaced them three times over the course of 30,000 miles because of track use. The last time I used ARP studs since it was mostly a track car at that point.

I consider a wheel lug bolt or stud replacement to be cheap insurance. The alternative (failure) is a much more expensive and potentially dangerous scenario. Not everyone has to change them every 1-2 years (or 7 track hours), but that's a frame of reference I've followed in the same way that I change my oil every 5,000 miles instead of 15,000.

Even with professional motorsport use (i.e. NASCAR), they are replacing their extremely robust studs for every race. I'm sure it's not something they "have" to do, but for peace of mind / safeguard against more dire circumstance, why not?

Just my two cents.
      05-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:

Thanks, I understand to concept of studs vs bolts, buy why doing this mod except to be able to better install the wheel...but the hub is already supporting the wheel, we only need to turn it and align it with bolt hole. I prefer also to have the bolt invisible. With the studs they are more visible
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
55parallelM3
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

This is from Apex, but thought it might help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Thanks, I understand to concept of studs vs bolts, buy why doing this mod except to be able to better install the wheel...but the hub is already supporting the wheel, we only need to turn it and align it with bolt hole. I prefer also to have the bolt invisible. With the studs they are more visible
If you change your wheels/tires with any regularity for autocross and/or track use, the convenience of having a stud kit will be evident. Looks are irrelevant.

If you never swap wheels/tires, then a stud kit would just be for cosmetic purposes, but if you don't like the look of studs, don't buy them.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

That actually looks like a 22mm wrench in one of the pics.. or maybe it doesn't matter and the function for one wrench is just to hold one nut in place, and the second wrench/nut to tighten both together?
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@IND View Post
Quote:

The bad news is always the loudest news, but Future Classic had these independently strength tested to quell any worry about failure. I have personally seen a ton of steel studs break at the track, especially with the M12 guys. I think it gets a bit lost on people that they are a wear item and should be replaced with regularity (1-2 years for a street car, 7 hours of track time). Here is a breakdown of the tensile / yield strength test results from FC:

- Grade 10.9 Steel: 150800 / 130000
- Future Classic 6AI/4V Titanium: 143000 / 133000
- Conventional 6AI/4V Titanium: 130000 / 128000

I think a majority of failure comes from either improper installation or simply overuse like I said before. I can't speak directly about other manufacturer's stud designs, but I can say that FC's effort certainly goes the extra mile to help safeguard against published failures. Many that I've seen on the forum shear at the hub face—FC's design with the raised shoulder / undercut is directly aimed to help remedy this issue wherein the installer won't be as easily able to over tighten the stud and thereby weaken the thread area.

In regard to strength...simply put, these studs will be as strong as your OE steel units—some opt to do HPDE with their OE equipment, but most do not. OE manufacturers, like Ferrari, have been using titanium fasteners for some time, but for true competition you'll see them using steel 100% without a doubt. Surely, some Ferrari customers will see track use (HPDE), but I think largely this clientele is replacing this hardware with regularity.

For what it's worth, Future Classic actually offers race-dedicated steel variants for competition use specifically and a robust dual-duty street/track steel unit is in development. The race-dedicated unit is really the ultimate when it comes to strength and has a dry graphite coating to help nuts go on/off with ease over time. I can absolutely tell you these, along with Future Classic's wheel spacers have been put through hell and back with testing and they are every bit as good as advertised! As a pure race stud, it does not have corrosion resistance, which prompted FC to also consider a third variant (upcoming) to help truly serve every customer's demands.

Hope that helps!
Hi Mike! So I just received the Future Classic Ti stud kit and boy they're awesome! Amazing detail and super simple design.

Quick question - the kit came with two mushroom shaped 17mm bolts instead of the two 21 mm nuts noted in the DIY. The bolts won't screw in all the way through the stud, so I was wondering if I could just torque down with these instead of the double nut method? I attached a couple pics as reference. Thanks!
Attached Images

MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Any updates on this thread?

Also I'm highly interested in the race studs and titanium for my M4.

@IND
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #13
IND-Distribution
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Any updates on this thread?

Also I'm highly interested in the race studs and titanium for my M4.

@IND
We did a full write up of this kit on our G82 M4. You will find that thread below.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1813308