Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-07-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
DannyF83Comp
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 Competition Conv.

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 F83  [0.00]
Wheel Spacers & Factory Warranty

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey everyone, quick question. Tried searching the forums before posting and couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.

With our summer season here around the corner (yes where I'm from we still have snow beginning of April and car is still in storage haha), I've been finalizing the list of parts I've been wanting to buy over the winter, and last thing I'm looking for is wheel spacers.

So I own a 2016 F83 Competition, and riding on the stock 666M comp. wheels on stock suspension. I want to add spacers to the car to give it more of an aggressive/flush look.

My question is do you think adding spacers will void any type of warranty? I bought my M4 beginning of last season from an owner who had purchased extended BMW Factory Warranty until August 2023, and thank God he did, because last summer I had a lot of the front end suspension replaced all under warranty. This car has spent most of its life sitting as it's got about 22,000km/14,000miles, hence the suspension problems last year.

Given this is my last year with warranty, I wouldn't want me adding spacers to void warranty on any unforeseen suspension issues. I'm worried the car might have some issues on the rear end of the suspension this year possibly from all the sitting the car does. Should I wait it out until warranty is over to add them on and not risk it, or will spacers not get in the way of suspension related warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 12:21 AM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

No it won't. I have ran spacers on the vast majority of cars i've owned including Nissan, Infiniti, Acura, BMW and Porsche. I have never had any issues with warranty from any of these dealers and my car has never been flagged for having spacers on. Most of the time, the cars have also been lowered with springs and/or coilovers and they never flag the car for warranty issues with springs and coilovers either.

And the whole notion of waiting until your warranty ends before modding your car is, frankly, non-sensical... because there is no difference to you economically either way. Let's say you put spacers on before warranty expires and suspension is damaged and BMW rejects your warranty claim b/c of your spacers. What are you going to do? You will pay out of pocket to get the suspension fixed. Now say you add spacers on a month after warranty expires and the rear suspension fails. What are you going to do? You will pay the exact same money out of pocket to fix your suspension. There is literally ZERO added economic risk to mod in or out of warranty. So I have no idea why people think it makes sense to wait until the warranty expires before doing minor or, worse yet, major mods.

In either case - whether you mod during warranty or after warranty expires, your economic cost is EXACTLY the same. The difference is, you are modding a newer car with less than 4 yrs 50K miles on it... which is actually a good thing b/c it's always better to mod a car in the best condition possible than a well worn car that is ragged out which would be more prone to breaking from mods. For example, getting a tune on a car... it is obviously way better to tune a car with 5K miles on it than 50K miles. You are more likely to run into a cracked chargepipe or a leaking charge cooler if you decide to turn up the boost at 50K miles. Plus all your suspension components and tires will be pretty worn and you are adding alot of power to the car. Makes no sense to me to wait.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50