Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #2377
ttrank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F97 X3M, 17 F80 M3, 23 GR86

I ended up paying $2,375 out the door for the kit with install and alignment. Felt like that was a good deal and the warranty peace of mind is nice. Doubt I’ll ever use it but happy to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #2378
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrank View Post
So they told me this is the second set they have had where the front adjustment threads have failed and had to be replaced during install. They said the threads stripped and it would not turn. I think they either messed something up or just put my car on the back burner for a few days.
After installing a set myself, I find that hard to believe. The kit is very well made.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #2379
ttrank
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F97 X3M, 17 F80 M3, 23 GR86

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
After installing a set myself, I find that hard to believe. The kit is very well made.
I’m with you. It’s very hot here in Phoenix right now so I was being lazy and liked the idea of the warranty but am already regretting not just doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #2380
DocM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Huracan Avio, RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
Just picked my car up from the dealer after getting this kit installed. Ride is amazing! I absolutely love it. I was worried that it may be too firm for my liking, but that is not the case whatsoever. As many have said, the ride is compliant and the car feels more planted. I get a chuckle when reading this thread and coming across the folks that say "the car should've come this way from the factory," but that phrase holds true 1000%.

Ditto....picked up my car yesterday (from BMW)...and the ride is great, firm yet compliant across all the settings (comfort etc...). Found Sport to be my everyday preference still ....will see once I put on some more miles......irrespective I'm very happy.

I also provided pictures to the BMW tech of my preferred "look/stance" (within the BMW range of adjustment) and they did a great job in delivering on that......before install car was on H&R sport springs, so that was the reference stance...

I'll take a closer look at the install this weekend out of interest
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #2381
Porsha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

So went to Baron BMW (Kansas City) to have this kit installed yesterday. They quoted me $2,200 and their "M Master Mechanic" said the job called for 14 hours of labor.

I'm having a local BMW shop do it instead - quoted $850.

2020 Atlantis M4
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #2382
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsha View Post
So went to Baron BMW (Kansas City) to have this kit installed yesterday. They quoted me $2,200 and their "M Master Mechanic" said the job called for 14 hours of labor.

$850 still seems pretty high... but $2,200 JUST for installation or with the HAS?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #2383
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:

14 hours is just ridiculous, I would consider that a go away quote. Glad you didn't entertain that ridiculousness.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #2384
Porsha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
$850 still seems pretty high... but $2,200 JUST for installation or with the HAS?
Absurd isn't it? And yes, had several conversations with them back and forth and they continued to insist even after speaking with their M mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
14 hours is just ridiculous, I would consider that a go away quote. Glad you didn't entertain that ridiculousness.
The funniest part is they acted like it was what it called for and were surprised I said it's FAR too high.

EDIT: Well in an interesting change of pace, the Director at Baron called me just now and I suppose heard about yesterday. In short, he was not pleased with how it was handled and we had a good long conversation. He was very pleasant and said he would do the install for $850 this week. It's great to have the dealer follow up in that manner - but obviously it shouldn't have happened to begin with. It sounds like he's working to improve the service group there.

2020 Atlantis M4

Last edited by Porsha; 10-15-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #2385
Porsha
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update. Got the install finished on Friday and drove quite a bit this weekend. I'll just echo what others have said in that this is what the car *should* feel like. It's more compliant in just about every scenario while remaining more stable and flat in corners. All-around it's just a better feeling car now.

I then put on my new lightweight wheels with Pilot 4Ss and it felt even better again. It's like an entirely new car now.

2020 Atlantis M4
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2883.50
      10-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #2386
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just an update. Got the install finished on Friday and drove quite a bit this weekend. I'll just echo what others have said in that this is what the car *should* feel like. It's more compliant in just about every scenario while remaining more stable and flat in corners. All-around it's just a better feeling car now.

I then put on my new lightweight wheels with Pilot 4Ss and it felt even better again. It's like an entirely new car now.
Do you have a base m3 or comp pack? How does the suspension handle bumps? I don’t like how the zcp even with CS coding gets unsettled over bumps on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #2387
Porsha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a base m3 or comp pack? How does the suspension handle bumps? I don’t like how the zcp even with CS coding gets unsettled over bumps on the road.
2020 ZCP. And yes, I agree. That's kind of what I was referring to when saying it's more compliant. It feels far more stable on uneven surfaces.

2020 Atlantis M4
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2883.50
      10-22-2019, 12:19 AM   #2388
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Anyone know if the MP HAS will work with GC camber plates built for stock ZCP springs?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #2389
Kev608
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Anyone know if the MP HAS will work with GC camber plates built for stock ZCP springs?
Yes, it definitely will. Make sure you select "stock" when ordering.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2883.50
      10-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #2390
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev608 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it definitely will. Make sure you select "stock" when ordering.
Thanks. I already have the GC plates installed but just want to make sure it's a direct swap

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:19 AM   #2391
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, that's what I have on my car.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #2392
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

For those who DIY'd the HAS kit, were you able to get the front spring seats hammered (or pressed) all the way down so that they were actually touching the gold install tube?

I could only get the spring seats down to about 1mm away from touching the gold tube on both sides. Put the contraption into a bench vise and starting hammering away using Tommy L's method on his youtube. Went down pretty easily till the last 1mm. Hammered for awhile and couldnt get it to move any further. The stickers on the shock were removed and shock thoroughly cleaned to ensure no remaining debris. Shock was also lubed up prior to hammer time.

Maybe i need a bigger hammer or a press... either way the car sits perfectly where i want it and drives fine. Was just curious if others encountered a similar problem.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #2393
literbikes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G. Telesto M3 w/SO Stitch

It will not go all the way down. I also almost broke my press trying to push it farther down. You are done if it will not go any further. The inside of the gold install tube is also tapered to resist any further movement. Hope that helps, let us know if you have any more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
For those who DIY'd the HAS kit, were you able to get the front spring seats hammered (or pressed) all the way down so that they were actually touching the gold install tube?

I could only get the spring seats down to about 1mm away from touching the gold tube on both sides. Put the contraption into a bench vise and starting hammering away using Tommy L's method on his youtube. Went down pretty easily till the last 1mm. Hammered for awhile and couldnt get it to move any further. The stickers on the shock were removed and shock thoroughly cleaned to ensure no remaining debris. Shock was also lubed up prior to hammer time.

Maybe i need a bigger hammer or a press... either way the car sits perfectly where i want it and drives fine. Was just curious if others encountered a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #2394
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Just picked up my car with MP HAS on my non-cp car w/ EDC shocks yesterday. Max drop in front, not sure about the rear, but it's not maxed out. A little higher than my previous lowering springs were, so somewhere in the -10 to -15mm range. Also corner balanced and aligned. Full list of suspension iterations:

- Stock - ~5000 mi
- Macht Schnell lowering springs - ~2500 mi
- Bilstein B16 Damptronic coil overs - ~1500 mi

After a roughly 50 mile drive home, I have to say I'm impressed so far. I'm not sure if it's the bump stops, springs rates, or combination of both, but the rear doesn't crash like my previous MS springs felt. I'm experiencing the ideal 1 compression/rebound far more than the MS springs. Maybe the MS were too low/soft and just riding the bump stops? I'm sure raising the rear height relative to MS springs helped as well. But the car still feels stock in a good way.

Compared to B16, it is more comfortable. I'd say that B16 in comfort is between Sport and Sport+ with MP HAS. The B16 damping is incredible, among other things, but I think it was too much for my wife, so I changed to MP HAS to be able to drive the car more with her in it. I can't compare any track impressions, because my car is 100% a street car, but I did lose some steering feel switching to MP HAS from B16.

I know this kit has had overwhelmingly positive reviews for a long time already, but so far, all I can say is I wish I did this first instead of the lowering springs. Whoever designed this kit definitely did their homework. Just feels so much better engineered. There's a few roads around me with larger dips that the stock and MS springs sucked on, but B16 fixed. I'm going to try going over those roads again with this kit to see if this is just the honeymoon phase, or if it really did sort out the floatiness I experienced before the B16 kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #2395
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
Just picked up my car with MP HAS on my non-cp car w/ EDC shocks yesterday. Max drop in front, not sure about the rear, but it's not maxed out. A little higher than my previous lowering springs were, so somewhere in the -10 to -15mm range. Also corner balanced and aligned. Full list of suspension iterations:

- Stock - ~5000 mi
- Macht Schnell lowering springs - ~2500 mi
- Bilstein B16 Damptronic coil overs - ~1500 mi

After a roughly 50 mile drive home, I have to say I'm impressed so far. I'm not sure if it's the bump stops, springs rates, or combination of both, but the rear doesn't crash like my previous MS springs felt. I'm experiencing the ideal 1 compression/rebound far more than the MS springs. Maybe the MS were too low/soft and just riding the bump stops? I'm sure raising the rear height relative to MS springs helped as well. But the car still feels stock in a good way.

Compared to B16, it is more comfortable. I'd say that B16 in comfort is between Sport and Sport+ with MP HAS. The B16 damping is incredible, among other things, but I think it was too much for my wife, so I changed to MP HAS to be able to drive the car more with her in it. I can't compare any track impressions, because my car is 100% a street car, but I did lose some steering feel switching to MP HAS from B16.

I know this kit has had overwhelmingly positive reviews for a long time already, but so far, all I can say is I wish I did this first instead of the lowering springs. Whoever designed this kit definitely did their homework. Just feels so much better engineered. There's a few roads around me with larger dips that the stock and MS springs sucked on, but B16 fixed. I'm going to try going over those roads again with this kit to see if this is just the honeymoon phase, or if it really did sort out the floatiness I experienced before the B16 kit.
I'm glad you kept your MP HAS kit instead of selling it!

--------------------------------------------

My review below:

Similar to what others have said, i'm very happy with the MP HAS.

Car is a 2018, non-zcp, but has adaptive suspension. MP HAS is lowered all the way in the front, and the rear coils has the gap set to equal to the thickness of the included adjustment spanners (1/4 inch or less). This resulted in a ride height (from fender to ground, on OEM 18s) of 25 10/16 inches in front and 25 13/16 in rear. Gap between fender/tire is equal on this setup. Minor rake in front, but i dont mind the look.

Ride Quality:Comfort on MP HAS is similar to Sport/Sport+ on OEM suspension (probably closer to sport+), so do keep that in mind if you're trying to maintain as 'lexus' of a ride quality as possible. HOWEVER, there are no spine shattering "hits" on big bumps. You feel more of the road, but not to the point it takes away from the experience and crosses over to discomfort. Overall i'm pleased with the ride quality and its definitely not as raw as lowering your car on a track oriented coilover (e.g. ohlins). FWIW - my wife has not said anything regarding a change in ride quality, and i didn't even mention the car has been lowered. She noticed right away on previous rides.

Install: Huge shout out to Tommy L Garage on Youtube, and everyone else who compiled install threads on this forum. I'm only a weekend wrencher and have done a few coilover/spring installs on previous rides, which were mostly japanese. This definitely was on the easier side, with not many bolts having to come out, and components lining up easily afterwards. Biggest tip is to make sure you have 2 specialty tools, the 18mm strut socket for the fronts, and also the spindle separator socket for the fronts as well. Note that in the rear, the nut holding the alignment bolt cant be accessed using an impact so you'll probably want to break the NUT side loose by hand (dont advise trying to back it out from the bolt side using an impact, the tension from the suspension is holding down the bolt quite tightly). Much easier to take the nut off with leverage, jack up control arm then whack the alignment bolt out once tension is relieved. Otherwise, install is very straight forward.

Negative: Biggest negative, and this can be solved by simply raising the fronts, is that my lightweight lip scrapes everywhere with the fronts set to max low and on OEM 18s. I dont mind since the lip is durable, but if it was a carbon lip, it would be destroyed by now.

Anyways, enough typing. Hope this review helps someone who is on the fence of whether or not to move forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #2396
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
I'm glad you kept your MP HAS kit instead of selling it!

--------------------------------------------

My review below:

Similar to what others have said, i'm very happy with the MP HAS.

Car is a 2018, non-zcp, but has adaptive suspension. MP HAS is lowered all the way in the front, and the rear coils has the gap set to equal to the thickness of the included adjustment spanners (1/4 inch or less). This resulted in a ride height (from fender to ground, on OEM 18s) of 25 10/16 inches in front and 25 13/16 in rear. Gap between fender/tire is equal on this setup. Minor rake in front, but i dont mind the look.

Ride Quality:Comfort on MP HAS is similar to Sport/Sport+ on OEM suspension (probably closer to sport+), so do keep that in mind if you're trying to maintain as 'lexus' of a ride quality as possible. HOWEVER, there are no spine shattering "hits" on big bumps. You feel more of the road, but not to the point it takes away from the experience and crosses over to discomfort. Overall i'm pleased with the ride quality and its definitely not as raw as lowering your car on a track oriented coilover (e.g. ohlins). FWIW - my wife has not said anything regarding a change in ride quality, and i didn't even mention the car has been lowered. She noticed right away on previous rides.

Install: Huge shout out to Tommy L Garage on Youtube, and everyone else who compiled install threads on this forum. I'm only a weekend wrencher and have done a few coilover/spring installs on previous rides, which were mostly japanese. This definitely was on the easier side, with not many bolts having to come out, and components lining up easily afterwards. Biggest tip is to make sure you have 2 specialty tools, the 18mm strut socket for the fronts, and also the spindle separator socket for the fronts as well. Note that in the rear, the nut holding the alignment bolt cant be accessed using an impact so you'll probably want to break the NUT side loose by hand (dont advise trying to back it out from the bolt side using an impact, the tension from the suspension is holding down the bolt quite tightly). Much easier to take the nut off with leverage, jack up control arm then whack the alignment bolt out once tension is relieved. Otherwise, install is very straight forward.

Negative: Biggest negative, and this can be solved by simply raising the fronts, is that my lightweight lip scrapes everywhere with the fronts set to max low and on OEM 18s. I dont mind since the lip is durable, but if it was a carbon lip, it would be destroyed by now.

Anyways, enough typing. Hope this review helps someone who is on the fence of whether or not to move forward.
Couple of questions.

- Is is necessary to change the yellow bump stop in the rear. Looking at it, it’s hardly an6 different from the OEM one and if the difference is marginal, it saves a ton of time by not having to remove the shocks in the rear.

- what is a spindle separator socket? Can’t you just use a screwdriver to spread the bracket while you pull the front shocks out?

Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #2397
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Couple of questions.

- Is is necessary to change the yellow bump stop in the rear. Looking at it, it’s hardly an6 different from the OEM one and if the difference is marginal, it saves a ton of time by not having to remove the shocks in the rear.

- what is a spindle separator socket? Can’t you just use a screwdriver to spread the bracket while you pull the front shocks out?

Thanks.
1. Honestly - probably not. A lot of spring kits dont even come with a replacement rear bump stop. I did replace it anyways since i had it. It added about 5-10 mins/per side so not a huge deal, especially since you dont have to compress a spring to take apart the shock. Additionally, orientation of the top hat to shock doesnt matter during reassembly since it spins freely from each other (versus other setups where you have to line it up top hat/shock as best as you can)

2. Yes, you can use a screwdriver, albeit a little more effort and some potential cussing getting the spindle to separate. The spindle separator i used is linked below. For $16, it was well worth it since my other car also has a spindle setup in the front, and in the event i do this install for other members. The socket just makes it a bit more effortless: insert, rotate, remove strut (may require a tap with a mallet). Socket stays inside spindle when its expanded and you just give it another twist to remove after the strut is reinstalled.

Strut Separator: https://amzn.to/33p0uFu

and also, for those who need it:

Schwaben 18mm front strut nut socket: https://amzn.to/32sWdjb (this is a must have)
Appreciate 1
///M///1861.00
      11-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #2398
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
1. Honestly - probably not. A lot of spring kits dont even come with a replacement rear bump stop. I did replace it anyways since i had it. It added about 5-10 mins/per side so not a huge deal, especially since you dont have to compress a spring to take apart the shock. Additionally, orientation of the top hat to shock doesnt matter during reassembly since it spins freely from each other (versus other setups where you have to line it up top hat/shock as best as you can)

2. Yes, you can use a screwdriver, albeit a little more effort and some potential cussing getting the spindle to separate. The spindle separator i used is linked below. For $16, it was well worth it since my other car also has a spindle setup in the front, and in the event i do this install for other members. The socket just makes it a bit more effortless: insert, rotate, remove strut (may require a tap with a mallet). Socket stays inside spindle when its expanded and you just give it another twist to remove after the strut is reinstalled.

Strut Separator: https://amzn.to/33p0uFu

and also, for those who need it:

Schwaben 18mm front strut nut socket: https://amzn.to/32sWdjb (this is a must have)
Thanks a lot. Sorry if you posted already but what was the main purpose of the HAS for you? The drop for looks or handling? I am primarily looking for the latter as the car doesn’t feel as planted on elevation changes. What has been your experience?

Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0