Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

M3 vs. M550i

This may be a dumb question... but...

I've had a 330 (e46) and a 335 (e90). I now drive a Lexus RX (I know). I have two young boys.

Bottom line, every time I get into a BMW, I miss it. It's time to go back.

I'm torn between the new M550 and the M3. I know the 3 series but have never had an M.

I would nearly fully load either. I want to stay around 80-85, so no, the M5 is not an option.

I want something fun to drive but has to be a sedan for the kids. They are out of strollers, so I am not as concerned about room in the boot. I live 7 miles from work and the weekends are when I drive the most doing kid stuff.

I know I answered my own question.
      02-21-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Both are great vehicles, just depends on what you want to prioritize more. Comfort/luxury vs driving performance. Speed wise, on a da to day basis I am sure you will get plenty of both. M3 won't be as comfortable as the larger option though. I personally think the 550 would be a pretty good balance if family comfort is a concern as well as fun to drive. But not as much fun as the M3 of course. Like I said, depends on what you want to focus on more.
Appreciate 2
mc3456389.50
rallybull179.00
      02-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDe680 View Post
This may be a dumb question... but...

I've had a 330 (e46) and a 335 (e90). I now drive a Lexus RX (I know). I have two young boys.

Bottom line, every time I get into a BMW, I miss it. It's time to go back.

I'm torn between the new M550 and the M3. I know the 3 series but have never had an M.

I would nearly fully load either. I want to stay around 80-85, so no, the M5 is not an option.

I want something fun to drive but has to be a sedan for the kids. They are out of strollers, so I am not as concerned about room in the boot. I live 7 miles from work and the weekends are when I drive the most doing kid stuff.

I know I answered my own question.
The F80 M3 has surprisingly large back seat. More leg room than wife's Macan. I also have kids and is the reason I went M3 route.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Excuse my ignorance but what is an M550?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
It's the new M inspired and badged 5 series. BMW is going down the AMG road and slapping M onto everything. Marketing department 1 - M division 0
      02-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
http://google.com/search?q=BMW+M550
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
Mspired
CarGeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
Quote:
It's the new M inspired and badged 5 series. BMW is going down the AMG road and slapping M onto everything. Marketing department 1 - M division 0
But your signature says you drove a non M car with a M inspired theme to it. What's the difference?
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspired View Post
But your signature says you drove a non M car with a M inspired theme to it. What's the difference?
He had a car with the M Sport package whereas the M550 and other cars he's referring to as "M inspired" are part of BMW's new (relatively speaking - especially compared to the M Sport package) range of M Performance vehicles.

What's the difference? Largely branding. However, in practice the M Performance nameplate is reserved for the top of the line Series models - the ones that sit directly below the full blown M vehicle from a performance perspective. By contrast, the M Sport package can be applied to most any vehicle in the lineup (depending on geographic region). In other words, the M Sport package is cosmetic, while an M Performance vehicle has at least some performance pedigree.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
He had a car with the M Sport package whereas the M550 and other cars he's referring to as "M inspired" are part of BMW's new (relatively speaking - especially compared to the M Sport package) range of M Performance vehicles.

What's the difference? Largely branding. However, in practice the M Performance nameplate is reserved for the top of the line Series models - the ones that sit directly below the full blown M vehicle from a performance perspective. By contrast, the M Sport package can be applied to most any vehicle in the lineup (depending on geographic region). In other words, the M Sport package is cosmetic, while an M Performance vehicle has at least some performance pedigree.
What he said!
      02-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
My 2 cents ... get the M3, fun real M car and better looking I found myself starring at my neighbor M3 everytime I pass by The 5 is great too but I do not like the fact that it is closer to the 7 than ever before.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
The F80 M3 has surprisingly large back seat. More leg room than wife's Macan. I also have kids and is the reason I went M3 route.
Surprisingly when I compared the two on Edmunds in terms of sizing, the M3 has more legroom in the front and 1" less leg room in the back compared to the new 5.

The biggest differences in sizing were the height and wheelbase of course, but beyond that, the interior differences were minimal, which was surprising somewhat.

This is part of what brought this whole discussion up anyway.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

These two are COMPLETELY different cars. They are very little alike. I don't think they are at all comparable except pricing and the M3 is cheaper on that part as well, especially leasing given discounts compared to likely no discounts on the M550xi for a while.

You really have to drive these cars.... Have you driven a more pure sports car? I personally don't think a short test drive is enough. You need about 1hr of seat time in an M3, drive it on local road and highway, to really get a feel. Given your car owning history, I think you would much more prefer M550xi. By all accounts, the new 5 series is more comfortable than before yet more dynamic. I think it's improved all around. In real life, the M550xi will be faster compared to M3 due to AWD. The 5 is much more comfortable than a regular 3, and a regular 3 is more comfortable than an M3 (except seating..., due to just generally poor 3 series seats overall). The M will feel much more raw, significantly louder, and significantly stiffer.

Frequently when you drive a louder and stiffer car on a test drive, you don't feel they are such a big negative, particularly since the performance is usually intoxicating. However they could become an issue when you start actually owning the car and having to drive it long distance.

Basically here's my advice, M3 is for true performance car lovers. Who care greatly about driving dynamics, enjoy sportier suspension, want to hear more of the engine/exhaust, and want that more raw experience. Unless you know you love that, the car is not for you.

The M550xi is a much safer bet honestly. It will be pretty sporty while being very comfortable as well.

Again, I don't think these are comparable cars. Go drive them both through the same patches of road, on both highway and back road, and feel the difference.

Last edited by zer0cool; 02-22-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Surprisingly when I compared the two on Edmunds in terms of sizing, the M3 has more legroom in the front and 1" less leg room in the back compared to the new 5.

The biggest differences in sizing were the height and wheelbase of course, but beyond that, the interior differences were minimal, which was surprising somewhat.

This is part of what brought this whole discussion up anyway.
Of course the 5 is bigger in the back seat. The question comes down to, do you want a geeky, sofa boy riding 5 series or a sporty sedan.

Candidly, if you are leaning toward the 5, do yourself a favor and check out the CLS 550 and an S7. Both are much better than a 5 series, handle incredibly well and hide their size much better than the competition alleged sport sedan models. Wife currently has an S7 at our Florida house and just traded her CLS for it. Candidly, I almost like both better than the F80 and now would take a CLS AMG over the F80.

We have 550s that are a year or two old all the time sitting around to drive. They are decent cars I suppose, but the Mercedes and Audi 4 door coupes are much better. Perhaps the 6 series Grand coupe would be comparable to the CLS and S7.

Last edited by 996ttelise; 02-22-2017 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
Great, so BMW is watering down the M brand even more and making it even less exclusive and more the common coming and going vehicle by appearance standards. The most difficult aspect of my purchase and having the F80 is that it blends in and look too similar to a plain Jane 3 series that you see 4 or 5 of at every stop light.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #15
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

996 is a SUPER ULTRA sports car enthusiast. So obviously he would prefer the M3 among these 2. I agree a S7/6 destroys the F10 550i having driven them. I prefer the S7 interior as well probably due to BMW interior aesthetic fatigue. However all reviews indicate the new G30 5 series improves significantly over the previous 5 and that the M550i significantly improves upon the previous 550i. Also the S7 is near the end of its generation. So I would wait till the new M550i is out to make the determination of whether it is now better than Audi S. The CLS interior is now like 10 years old, carry over from the old E class... I personally wouldn't consider it at all... Also new E43 seems underpowered compared to its competitors, so I think the future CLS 43 will be as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #16
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Great, so BMW is watering down the M brand even more and making it even less exclusive and more the common coming and going vehicle by appearance standards. The most difficult aspect of my purchase and having the F80 is that it blends in and look too similar to a plain Jane 3 series that you see 4 or 5 of at every stop light.
I wouldn't quite go that far. I can pick out and M3 or M4 pretty easily out of the pack but yeah I get your point about dilution and it being too similar although I also believe that was always the intention/direction. The 'raison d'être' of the M3 is to be a 3 series visually although very polar opposite mechanically.
      02-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #17
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I'd have a seat in the back of the two cars and see if that factors in. The backseats are honestly pretty close in size oddly enough. The 5 series overall is larger but if you're just thinking about backseat room, it's really close.

You'll get more performance out of the M3 but more comfort (by design) from the 5 series. So just depends on what you prioritize. If you're never going in the twisties the 5 may be for you or if you really need that extra 1" space in the backseat. Otherwise if performance is what you're after with a decent backseat, the M3 is probably the way to go.

Assuming you want a BMW. Like others have said, while this is a M3 board and we love the M3 in its class, the larger luxury car segment has a lot of players that do quite well and may be worth a look if that's where your heart/needs takes you.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
These two are COMPLETELY different cars. They are very little alike. I don't think they are at all comparable except pricing and the M3 is cheaper on that part as well, especially leasing given discounts compared to likely no discounts on the M550xi for a while.
I know they are different which is why I asked... I wouldn't be leasing anyway, purchasing...

Quote:
You really have to drive these cars.... Have you driven a more pure sports car? I personally don't think a short test drive is enough. You need about 1hr of seat time in an M3, drive it on local road and highway, to really get a feel. Given your car owning history, I think you would much more prefer M550xi. By all accounts, the new 5 series is more comfortable than before yet more dynamic. I think it's improved all around. In real life, the M550xi will be faster compared to M3 due to AWD. The 5 is much more comfortable than a regular 3, and a regular 3 is more comfortable than an M3 (except seating..., due to just generally poor 3 series seats overall). The M will feel much more raw, significantly louder, and significantly stiffer.
I am actually thinking the opposite. I'm tired of owning boring cars. The Lexus puts me to sleep - there's no excitement. My E46 was a Dinan 3 and the E90 was just slightly modded, so I enjoy that stuff. I work too hard not to enjoy and have fun when I drive an nothing drives like a BMW.

Quote:
Frequently when you drive a louder and stiffer car on a test drive, you don't feel they are such a big negative, particularly since the performance is usually intoxicating. However they could become an issue when you start actually owning the car and having to drive it long distance.
You may laugh at this but I also had a Range Rover, and that thing grumbled. I loved it. Great car. Horrendous on gas but who cares.

Quote:
Basically here's my advice, M3 is for true performance car lovers. Who care greatly about driving dynamics, enjoy sportier suspension, want to hear more of the engine/exhaust, and want that more raw experience. Unless you know you love that, the car is not for you.

The M550xi is a much safer bet honestly. It will be pretty sporty while being very comfortable as well.

Again, I don't think these are comparable cars. Go drive them both through the same patches of road, on both highway and back road, and feel the difference.
I will drive them both, but I know I'll come out preferring the M3, simply because I know the 3 series well and I really like that sized car. The 5 may be too much car for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #19
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Of course the 5 is bigger in the back seat. The question comes down to, do you want a geeky, sofa boy riding 5 series or a sporty sedan.

Candidly, if you are leaning toward the 5, do yourself a favor and check out the CLS 550 and an S7. Both are much better than a 5 series, handle incredibly well and hide their size much better than the competition alleged sport sedan models. Wife currently has an S7 at our Florida house and just traded her CLS for it. Candidly, I almost like both better than the F80 and now would take a CLS AMG over the F80.

We have 550s that are a year or two old all the time sitting around to drive. They are decent cars I suppose, but the Mercedes and Audi 4 door coupes are much better. Perhaps the 6 series Grand coupe would be comparable to the CLS and S7.
I've looked at so many other options, the Panamera & Ghibli included.

Honestly, everyone and their brother has an Audi around here and I'm so tired of seeing them and being in them. I'm not a huge fan at all.

The benz, sorry to say, doesn't have an interior that I like.

Fortunately, I am in an area where all the dealers I am looking at are in a line on one street. Makes it easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #20
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
I know they are different which is why I asked... I wouldn't be leasing anyway, purchasing...

I am actually thinking the opposite. I'm tired of owning boring cars. The Lexus puts me to sleep - there's no excitement. My E46 was a Dinan 3 and the E90 was just slightly modded, so I enjoy that stuff. I work too hard not to enjoy and have fun when I drive an nothing drives like a BMW.

You may laugh at this but I also had a Range Rover, and that thing grumbled. I loved it. Great car. Horrendous on gas but who cares.

I will drive them both, but I know I'll come out preferring the M3, simply because I know the 3 series well and I really like that sized car. The 5 may be too much car for me.
If you are carrying people a lot, M550i, if not, M3.. I have an E60 550i and a M4, while the e60 / new M550i aren't similar, it's still a mid sized more comfortable car as opposed to M3. The 550i is much better daily driver / people carrier than the M.

The M3 is much more raw vs a non M, although the current gen F8X M cars IMO are the best dual purpose M cars to date.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

I cant think of a single reason not to get the M3 over the M550. What you gain in a little comfort (are you 80?) you gain in tons of performance and fun.

If I were you id be rationalizing in every way possible why I should get an M3 over an M550. The only thing that would make me consider one over the other is if extra room was needed and the 550 offered that (which it doesnt).

Seems like a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
RyanDe680
Investor Relations
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
If you are carrying people a lot, M550i, if not, M3.. I have an E60 550i and a M4, while the e60 / new M550i aren't similar, it's still a mid sized more comfortable car as opposed to M3. The 550i is much better daily driver / people carrier than the M.

The M3 is much more raw vs a non M, although the current gen F8X M cars IMO are the best dual purpose M cars to date.
Having both, this is great, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
I cant think of a single reason not to get the M3 over the M550. What you gain in a little comfort (are you 80?) you gain in tons of performance and fun.

If I were you id be rationalizing in every way possible why I should get an M3 over an M550. The only thing that would make me consider one over the other is if extra room was needed and the 550 offered that (which it doesnt).

Seems like a no brainer.
I'm tending to agree with this.
Appreciate 0