BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Cscat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Rear-end Clunk when shifting

Hello all, I have a question about a noise I'm hearing. I tried to search for this, but nothing seems to turn up. If there is information on it that I missed, please post a link or tell me what/where to search for it. Thank you.

I have a 6-speed 2015 M3, bone stock and 40k miles. When shifting "spiritedly" there is a clunk from the rear end. Enough to where any passengers will ask "what is that?". The car drives fine, shifts normal, no issues that I can discover. But there is a loud clunk from the rear of the car on high-rpm shifts. If this is normal, I am fine with it. Just wanted to make sure before I start digging into the car or leave it be. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:21 AM   #2
M3king2019
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp

My M3 makes a loud clunk/bang noise too when I apply the accelerator, it's like there is something loose in the rear of the car, I had an M4 before and it never made this noise, it's booked in to be looked.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 2018

Its normal. All three of my M4's in the last 3 years have done the same. If in Sport+ it seems to be worse. I even took the main BMW tech out and he said most, if not all do it. The fact that I brought it to their attention gave me reassurance as they said if I was to have any issues with it, they had been made aware. I've never found it to get worse and had no issues with any of the 3 M4's i've had so far. (oh, and one of them seemed to be worse than the others but again, was told all normal.)
Appreciate 2
M_Torx328.00
NORAGRETS440.50
      06-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
It's not normal. My M4 Comp used to do that especially in Sport+ throttle in which the throttle input is much more sensitive. Either during agressive shifting or when I tap to the gas pedal suddenly at or above 3-4K RPM. I would hear a loud clunk from the rear off the car. I took it in and the dealer inspected it. They found out that the diff bushing was cracked so they replaced it under warranty. I had less than 15K miles when this happened but I tracked mine quite a few times. I'd say get your diff checked out.
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
M3king2019
Rep

So my M3 was in the dealers today to diagnose the clunk noise, called me to say they couldn't find anything wrong, I said to look at the diff bushing, turned out to be cracked also!!
It's a big job he said, 1 and half days, will be done under warranty, car only had 7k miles 2018
Appreciate 3
      07-09-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3king2019 View Post
So my M3 was in the dealers today to diagnose the clunk noise, called me to say they couldn't find anything wrong, I said to look at the diff bushing, turned out to be cracked also!!
It's a big job he said, 1 and half days, will be done under warranty, car only had 7k miles 2018
Let us know if it still persists. Now that I remember, I heard the rear end clunk on a new e46 M3 Smg back in the days on fastest shift settings. It was always noticeable. Maybe it is normal because of how the rear subframe is mounted directly to the chassis without bushings?

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPro_F80 View Post
Let us know if it still persists. Now that I remember, I heard the rear ended clunk on my brand new e46 M3 Smg back in the days on fastest shift settings. It was always noticeable. Maybe it is normal because of how the rear subframe is mounted directly to the chassis without bushings?
Thats what I was told. The clunk is just being amplified due to the direct chassis mount. Maybe the diff bush was in fact cracked????? Hmmm. I'll get them to check mine next service.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
991dc5
Private
Rep
Drives: DC5

My diff bushing was also cracked at 32k miles. CPO does not cover the work so I decided on the powerflex race bushing. I also replaced the front of the diff with the powerflex street bushings. The diff is a little more noisy with the new bushings but that is to be expected. The rear end feels alot tighter and removes most of the thud noise and feeling when going on and off throttle in sport and sport+.

However with the stiffer bushings, dct in S3 the shifts are really hard and can be felt alot more. Not sure if I would use S3 on the track.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991dc5 View Post
My diff bushing was also cracked at 32k miles. CPO does not cover the work so I decided on the powerflex race bushing. I also replaced the front of the diff with the powerflex street bushings. The diff is a little more noisy with the new bushings but that is to be expected. The rear end feels alot tighter and removes most of the thud noise and feeling when going on and off throttle in sport and sport+.

However with the stiffer bushings, dct in S3 the shifts are really hard and can be felt alot more. Not sure if I would use S3 on the track.
That sucks that CPO wouldn't cover it. Since it's wearing out so quick in these cars I am surprised that even if the dealer was to fix it once under warranty, by the time it breaks again it will be out of warranty.

How much did it cost to replace them out of CPO with the powerflex?
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmadown115 View Post
That sucks that CPO wouldn't cover it. Since it's wearing out so quick in these cars I am surprised that even if the dealer was to fix it once under warranty, by the time it breaks again it will be out of warranty.

How much did it cost to replace them out of CPO with the powerflex?
It's a 5-8 hour job depending on the shop you go to. My buddy owns a shop so I can't exactly tell you how much labor would cost.

The subframe and exhaust has to be dropped. The axle and driveshaft also needs to be disconnected. Remember to use new hardware since subframe bolts are meant to be used once.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
M3king2019
Rep

Dealer replaced the cracked diff bushing on the M3 and clunking noise is still there, they said they will now have to start replacing parts until they find out what's causing it! My other M4 definitely didn't make this noise
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #12
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

I'll be replacing my rear differential bushing if it's leaking with powerflex bushings.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:

Hey man I need your advice. I change also bushings on the back on my m4 and now my transmision is more noisy. On low speeds I can hear and fell clunking noises . What do you think this is normal ?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #14
991dc5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiasz17azs View Post
Quote:

Hey man I need your advice. I change also bushings on the back on my m4 and now my transmision is more noisy. On low speeds I can hear and fell clunking noises . What do you think this is normal ?
I do not have this issue. The diff just whines slightly louder with the bushings.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Following.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #16
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

???? Any one have same issue as I have it ? Talking about dct transmision is clunking after bushing change and is more noisy
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

I had a small squeak/ clunk when coming off power or changing forward to reverse. I looked under the car and the rear diff bushing was cracked. I had it replaced with a powerflex. The rear end feels better, there is no noise anything after replacing
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #18
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Is the noise something like the noise in my video here? Thunk/clunk sound when decelerating/accelerating https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1519762
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #19
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Is the noise something like the noise in my video here? Thunk/clunk sound when decelerating/accelerating https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1519762

Hey !

Hey something like that plus i can feel like something is loose And definitely The. Lise coming from The transmission . Clunking all The time when I’m stopping my car and when I release the gas pedal at low gears . CAr sounds like shit
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #20
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey !

Hey something like that plus i can feel like something is loose And definitely The. Lise coming from The transmission . Clunking all The time when I'm stopping my car and when I release the gas pedal at low gears . CAr sounds like shit
Get it checked, could be bushings, could be a worn synchro! Worth getting it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #21
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Get it checked, could be bushings, could be a worn synchro! Worth getting it checked out.
This clunk came when I went with the Powerflex purple bushings. I noticed that 2 bushings are not go all the way down to the bracket and mechanic said they supposed be like that . Worn synchro what this mean ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #22
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This clunk came when I went with the Powerflex purple bushings. I noticed that 2 bushings are not go all the way down to the bracket and mechanic said they supposed be like that . Worn synchro what this mean ?
It's highly unlikely but I had a prematurely worn synchro in my DCT gearbox. It made a noise that I recorded in my video when going from 2>3 or dropping into neutral whilst maintaining a consistent speed. More noticeable at low speeds. I doubt it's that from what you've said!
Appreciate 0