R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
stt816
Rep
Drives: camaro ss gen 5

Not Sure if I'm making the right decision--M4

I have a 2012 camaro 2ss. I always loved it but looking for a change.

Top of my list is an m4. I'd get a used one under 50k miles so it's still under warranty for a little. I'm worried about two things though.

With my camaro, things were cheaper. I really had no major problems at all. Brake pads/rotors werent expensive either...Can I rely on the m4 being reliable for me? Any things that are really expensive as far as maintenance goes?

The 2nd is it looking dated quickly. I want this to last me atleast 5 years or so and I know the new m4 is coming out in 2021. Will this look dated quickly once that comes out?

Anything I should be looking out for while looking used? Other cars on my list are the following, all would be used..

audi s4-b9
audi s5-b9
bmw m4
bmw m3
ats-v
jaguar type s coupe
rc-f
c43
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Just upfront, none of these cars are "good decisions". The M4 has been reliable. Whether a car looks "dated" or not is individual perception. The Audi RS5 has been redone more recently. The S4 and S5 don't compare to the M4. I'd argue the 2012 Camaro doesn't either. The C43 is lesser than the M4 too. The comparable is the C63. Maintaining a German car is expensive. Why? No idea, some call it the M tax.

In my humblest opinion, if you're worried about what maintenance costs, maybe you should look for a lesser car. I know going in when I bought the M4 that I'm in for 2 sets of tires minimum, probably a random tire because I'll get an unfixable flat. If I choose to keep it beyond warranty, then the parts and labor are expensive. Some of the guys on here know how to do their own car labor, so they save some money there.

In summary, M4 costs more than Camaro. Only you can decide if that's worth it. The other cars you listed other than the Cadillac and the Lexus will cost more to maintain. Some of the cars you listed don't compare to the M4.
Appreciate 3
      12-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Just buy a used example from carmax or similar and pick up the extended warranty. This should help alleviate the worry about expensive repairs.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I see your location says CT. In that case, if it was my money, it would be between leasing the new 340i AWD model or finding a used S5 sportback. After driving both, I'd get the 340 for the engine, or the S5 sportback for the complete package (I just like it better).

M repair/maintenance bills are no joke. Even non-powertrain related things are more expensive than my R8 many times. The battery costs ~$1000, about 2x as much, for example. I don't believe the non-M models have that level of expenses. If you're worried about repairs or maintenance, best option with BMW is to lease in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

car will not look dated; the new cars look horrid. plus an M car always stands out.

these cars dont have crazy maintenance but if 3k in repairs will break one. then the sports car game is not for thee
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
stt816
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.401_Speed View Post
I waited five years to buy a used M4 for the same amount of money I could have spent to buy a brand new Camaro or Mustang back in 2015. Is it more expensive than a Chevy or Ford to maintain? Depends how you treat it. My E92 hasn't cost me a nickle in six years other than normal maintenance but I bought the M4 knowing it was a high-end vehicle and could cost more to maintain. Like the man said, the ///M tax is a bit stupid.

I don't plan to track the car, it's for detailing, cruising and showing and will be summer driven only, so in my case, I have no worries about maintenance. If you plan to purchase the M4 for the track while using it for a daily driver, then you need to have your cashflow sorted to pay for the higher maintenance costs associated with harder use.

As for quality, performance and smiles per mile, the M4 is hands down the best of the lot you listed (with the exception of the C63 is also a great car and would be equal in my mind, just different styling that I personally don't prefer).

If I was planning to beast a car on the track, I'd probably stick with a less expensive model.

As for whether the M4 will look dated in a few years? They all do at some point. It's just that some designs become classics while others fade in popularity. Personally, I believe the F82 design will age nicely and with the advent of hybrid and all electric on the near horizon, the gas turbo era cars might be seen as the final golden age of the internal combustion car. As for the G82, not with that grill, uggg!
I’d be aggressive street driving..don’t plan on tracking it
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
I’d be aggressive street driving..don’t plan on tracking it
Then based on your earlier stated concerns around cost I don't think it makes any sense for you to get a M3/4. The M's are meant to be slogged around the track and you're not going to see anywhere near their potential on the street. You would be better suited with a 340/440, or S4/5 as those are more comparable with each other and will give you very similar performance to what you can get with the M3/4 on the street for much less cost. Especially on maintenance. Additionally you can add some simple mods or a tune and definitely get similar performance to the M on the street.
If you really want something "special" though it sounds like you'd be better suited with the ATS-V. It's going to be cheaper to maintain and is more special than the S's and the x40's. Stay away from the C43. That car is definitely not worth paying the "AMG tax" on.
Just a question, but how did you come up with the cars on your list? What are you ultimately looking for in the car that you're not getting with the Camaro? Honestly it sounds like a new Mustang GT would be a good fit as they have excellent street performance and are much more affordable to purchase and maintain than any of the luxury sports coupe/sedans.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
stt816
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySeatbelt View Post
Then based on your earlier stated concerns around cost I don't think it makes any sense for you to get a M3/4. The M's are meant to be slogged around the track and you're not going to see anywhere near their potential on the street. You would be better suited with a 340/440, or S4/5 as those are more comparable with each other and will give you very similar performance to what you can get with the M3/4 on the street for much less cost. Especially on maintenance. Additionally you can add some simple mods or a tune and definitely get similar performance to the M on the street.
If you really want something "special" though it sounds like you'd be better suited with the ATS-V. It's going to be cheaper to maintain and is more special than the S's and the x40's. Stay away from the C43. That car is definitely not worth paying the "AMG tax" on.
Just a question, but how did you come up with the cars on your list? What are you ultimately looking for in the car that you're not getting with the Camaro? Honestly it sounds like a new Mustang GT would be a good fit as they have excellent street performance and are much more affordable to purchase and maintain than any of the luxury sports coupe/sedans.
come on man you know better than to suggest a mustang gt to a camaro owner lol

I came up with my list basically like this.

It has to be faster or same speed than my current car (stock 0-60 4.7).

Newer than 2015.

And ideally a luxury brand.

I don't think the non-m bmw's look nearly as nice and you're right i wanted that "stand out" kind of car. There are SO many 3 series and 4 series where I live. But not many M's. I just can't bring myself to being just another one in the crowd
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

Newer than 2015.

I don't think the non-m bmw's look nearly as nice and you're right i wanted that "stand out" kind of car. There are SO many 3 series and 4 series where I live. But not many M's. I just can't bring myself to being just another one in the crowd
What about a Tesla with dual power

or a Lexsus RF350
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

This thread is making me want to sell my M4 now and get out while I can. Fuck.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #11
stt816
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
This thread is making me want to sell my M4 now and get out while I can. Fuck.

how much? lol..have you had any problems? Just wondering why everyone is pushing me away from them when they are supposedly reliable
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #12
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Get an M4 - you’ll be happy. Get it with a manual and it will be a special experience every time you drive it.

They’re very reliable.
Look up videos on YouTube on what To look for when buying a used M3 or M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
moonshine89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

The moment you buy an M you're gonna be ecstatic. It's a frickin amazing machine that's wicked fast and pretty luxurious, especially compared to American muscle.

However, the feeling can go away quickly when you get a nail in your tire after a few hundred miles. Then it gets worse when you have to replace 2 at a time for even tread wear. That'll cost you 900 from the stealership. Have that happen like 4 times and you'll start to understand why ownership costs are a real issue, and that's just tires. Not pads, rotors, paint chips, or windshield cracks/chips.

I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to steer you away. They're just be cognizant about your concerns. If you're concerned with maintenance or repair costs, then an M car is definitely not the best option. But if you can stomach it, then F YES. Get one!!!!
Appreciate 1
RWSM348.50
      12-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #14
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Look up videos on YouTube on what To look for when buying a used M3 or M4.
Heh heh, I see what you did there
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I'd recommend the new M340i...less expensive, comparable performance, and full warranty (4 years) and maintenance (3 years). If you are looking for something pre-owned, a CPO 340i or 440i in either 2WD or AWD would be a good choice.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #16
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Newer than 2015.

I mean in all fairness you did say you wanted something faster than your camaro...

Like others have said the M is a fantastic car. I've had no problems with mine whatsoever. It's absolutely one of the best cars I've ever owned and I can't recommend it enough. My only reservation in recommending it over something different is when there is a concern about cost. Even the most reliable cars can be a crap shoot. Do I think there is anything mechanically to worry about with the M? No. Especially if you do your research on the vehicle you're going to purchase. It's highly likely that if you bought one you would be like thousands of other owners who never experience a problem and just enjoying driving one of the best cars available today. However if there is a concern that a problem with the car could put the owner in a financial situation they aren't ready for, then I don't think it's ever worth the chance to buy a car that is definitely more expensive to repair than some other options.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
sicck_m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Yas Marina M4

BMW M versions never look "dated" Keep it clean and well taken cared of, you will always turn heads. Examples e92 e46 are still eye catching even though they been around for awhile. Once you're in an M4 tuned, the only time you will look back is to see the person you put a bus on.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #18
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
I have a 2012 camaro 2ss. I always loved it but looking for a change.

Top of my list is an m4. I'd get a used one under 50k miles so it's still under warranty for a little. I'm worried about two things though.

With my camaro, things were cheaper. I really had no major problems at all. Brake pads/rotors werent expensive either...Can I rely on the m4 being reliable for me? Any things that are really expensive as far as maintenance goes?

The 2nd is it looking dated quickly. I want this to last me atleast 5 years or so and I know the new m4 is coming out in 2021. Will this look dated quickly once that comes out?

Anything I should be looking out for while looking used? Other cars on my list are the following, all would be used..

audi s4-b9
audi s5-b9
bmw m4
bmw m3
ats-v
jaguar type s coupe
rc-f
c43
If you're entertaining the idea of an S4/S5 or C43, I'd suggest to look at 340 too as they are the same class of cars... May save you a few $$

The M3/M4 are completely different platforms and cars.

I love mine and enjoy every minute of it. Would I get it again -- no. I am not using even 50% of what this car is intended to do and perform...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My $0.02, get a z06 or a 1LE SS or ZL1 Camaro

If you are worried about cost going in then out of warranty German might be a bad move.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #20
stt816
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
If you're entertaining the idea of an S4/S5 or C43, I'd suggest to look at 340 too as they are the same class of cars... May save you a few $$

The M3/M4 are completely different platforms and cars.

I love mine and enjoy every minute of it. Would I get it again -- no. I am not using even 50% of what this car is intended to do and perform...
I said to myself if I get a bmw it has to be an M (not an m sport) for the fact you see so many 3 series/4 series where I live
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #21
speedbird19
Ex-Lurker
Rep
Drives: Patty Wagon

Quote:
I said to myself if I get a bmw it has to be an M (not an m sport) for the fact you see so many 3 series/4 series where I live
Like others have said you have to pay to play. The M3/M4 are amazing cars, but you either own it while it's under warranty or be ready to stomach any unforeseen repairs. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #22
stt816
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbird19 View Post
Like others have said you have to pay to play. The M3/M4 are amazing cars, but you either own it while it's under warranty or be ready to stomach any unforeseen repairs. Good luck

Well i'd be getting it under warranty still and isn't there extended available?
Appreciate 0