GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #1
Alextv200
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 F82; 2019 330i G30

Warranty

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the bimmer thread thing so give me some slack! Just leased a 2019 F82 a few days ago and it's been my dream to do a bunch of mods to it (body kit, tune, roll cage, springs, etc.) but I'm unsure about the warranty. I don't know anything about the "factory warranty" or what other warranties are slapped onto the car, along with how the dealership would respond if I upgraded one particular thing. I've heard some people tell me to not touch the engine and the exhaust, but I don't know how far that extends. I don't know if I want to save the warranty(s) or just say screw it and do whatever I want, but I'm somewhat worried of the backlash. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 04:06 AM   #2
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

If you are at all concerned about drivetrain warranty and want BMW to fix anything that may go wrong under that warranty, then do not modify the car with anything that is not OEM.

If you do not care or have loads of money to fix what may go wrong - then knock yourself out.

Anything done to the drivetrain or performance mods from air intake to exhausts can be used by bmw to decline a warranty repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
mpizutti
2018 M3CS Pittsburgh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 528 , 2018 M3CS 2020 M8

Garage List
2017 M3  [0.00]
2016 bmw m2351  [0.00]
Remember it must be returned to stock before the end of the lease
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Since you leased, I wouldn't do anything that can't be returned to the way it was the day you leased it. So I probably wouldn't do a body kit or roll bar as I assume you have to drill into the car in various places to install those.

I've been around here for quite awhile and I've never seen a warranty claim denied because of a simple exhaust upgrade (midpipe back) or an intake. Intakes are pretty much a waste of money unless you like the sound (debatable if noticeable) or the look. Down pipes they probably wouldn't like though.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Alextv200
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 F82; 2019 330i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
If you are at all concerned about drivetrain warranty and want BMW to fix anything that may go wrong under that warranty, then do not modify the car with anything that is not OEM.

If you do not care or have loads of money to fix what may go wrong - then knock yourself out.

Anything done to the drivetrain or performance mods from air intake to exhausts can be used by bmw to decline a warranty repair.
Thank you for the advice! But would BMW use an aftermarket air intake or exhaust, or anything else for that matter, to decline a warranty that has nothing to do with that related part? (i.e. if I decided on an AWE exhaust, would the dealer use that as an excuse if something in the interior broke, and etc.)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextv200 View Post
Thank you for the advice! But would BMW use an aftermarket air intake or exhaust, or anything else for that matter, to decline a warranty that has nothing to do with that related part? (i.e. if I decided on an AWE exhaust, would the dealer use that as an excuse if something in the interior broke, and etc.)
No, they would not decline a warranty repair of a defective part if it has nothing to do with the part you upgraded. In general, in order to decline a warranty repair, they have to show that the modification you made caused the failure. Your fine with an exhaust, but I would not tune the car if you want the warranty to stay intact. Also, since it's a lease, either use all genuine BMW parts or keep the original parts so that you can return the car to stock before you turn it back in.

Congratulations on your new M4.
      05-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
No, they would not decline a warranty repair of a defective part if it has nothing to do with the part you upgraded. In general, in order to decline a warranty repair, they have to show that the modification you made caused the failure. Your fine with an exhaust, but I would not tune the car if you want the warranty to stay intact. Also, since it's a lease, either use all genuine BMW parts or keep the original parts so that you can return the car to stock before you turn it back in.

Congratulations on your new M4.
That's how it's supposed to work but in the majority of cases they don't have to prove shit. Unless you're willing to sue them over it where court fees would easily outweigh the cost.of fixing...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2733 View Post
That's how it's supposed to work but in the majority of cases they don't have to prove shit. Unless you're willing to sue them over it where court fees would easily outweigh the cost.of fixing...
I believe it is true for just about everything that is not engine/tune related.
      05-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Basically any modification that exceeds the factory specifications can result in warranty denial for related equipment.

That said certain modifications are easier to install and remove than others. Some changes like flash tuning leave a permanent record even if removed later, while other changes like say a Stage1 or JB4 piggyback system can be removed without a trace, but either way if they find out they can deny.

Also check in to intakes. Those go in and out fairly easily and at improve engine sound, so they can be fun mods. Although won't add much power unless also tuned to higher boost levels.
Appreciate 0