Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

03-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #67
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

I agree 💯
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #68
oneknightr
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 SO M4 Vert

Garage List
Checked out a few front license plate threads and have pretty much decided to get this one (upper mounted). I have a couple of questions:

1) Is using just the supplied tape enough to hold it in place or do I need to buy some 3M Automotive double-sided tape?

2) Even though the attached picture shows tape, the description says: "Big Mike's Performance Parts STO N SHO requires small holes to be drilled on the underside of your vehicle. These holes are not visible and in no way detract from the look of your car." Do I have to drill holes even though I'm using the tape method? I've also seen a different upper mount version with a white plastic piece (2nd picture) that looks like it needs to be inserted in the bumper.

3) Does it rattle? From all the videos I've seen, there is a bit of play when you push up on it. Not a deal-breaker but I'm curious.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #69
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Sto n Sho installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknightr View Post
Checked out a few front license plate threads and have pretty much decided to get this one (upper mounted). I have a couple of questions:

1) Is using just the supplied tape enough to hold it in place or do I need to buy some 3M Automotive double-sided tape?

2) Even though the attached picture shows tape, the description says: "Big Mike's Performance Parts STO N SHO requires small holes to be drilled on the underside of your vehicle. These holes are not visible and in no way detract from the look of your car." Do I have to drill holes even though I'm using the tape method? I've also seen a different upper mount version with a white plastic piece (2nd picture) that looks like it needs to be inserted in the bumper.

3) Does it rattle? From all the videos I've seen, there is a bit of play when you push up on it. Not a deal-breaker but I'm curious.

Thanks!
Per my post #31 (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=31) I used a small screw in addition to the supplied tape. Gives a lot more confidence. Mine does not rattle at all.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #70
Rockshaker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, MG 318i 1997

I used the screw and tape as well. I couldn't imagine the damage it would cause if it came off at high speed. I've had no issues since installing over a year ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #71
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:

Thanks!
I wouldn't be hesitant to put a small hole on the bumper that isn't visible, given the front bumper takes so much damage over years from rocks and debris. The extra security is worth it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshaker View Post
I used the screw and tape as well. I couldn't imagine the damage it would cause if it came off at high speed. I've had no issues since installing over a year ago.
That's a good point. I didn't even think about what would happen if it ripped off at high speed. This is a solid aluminum apparatus that would wreak havoc if you ran over it. I mounted mine with a pretty big screw and it's been solid since the day I started this thread. I take my plate on and off about 6 times daily.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #72
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I use the screw with mine as well. I also made sure I cleaned the double sided tape contact area really good and heated up the tape before installing it to the car. No issues at all and simply the best front plate solution for this car. No rattling and I love how i can remove it in seconds for photos or when i'm washing the car to get behind it.

Also as a tip I used doubled sided tape to attach the license plate frame to the plate, then used double sided tape to attach the plate to the stonshow. Keeps it as slim as possible and nothing sticking out pointing at your bumper.

Alan
      05-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #73
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I use the screw with mine as well. I also made sure I cleaned the double sided tape contact area really good and heated up the tape before installing it to the car. No issues at all and simply the best front plate solution for this car. No rattling and I love how i can remove it in seconds for photos or when i'm washing the car to get behind it.

Also as a tip I used doubled sided tape to attach the license plate frame to the plate, then used double sided tape to attach the plate to the stonshow. Keeps it as slim as possible and nothing sticking out pointing at your bumper.

Alan
Good idea on the tape for the plate.

For people who wanna use a plate frame, I bought something called a Chicago Screw. It's very flat with nothing sticking out. You can sandwich the frame > plate > sto n sho.

Here's a link to the ones I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Springfield-L.../dp/B00BFCTAE4
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #74
Rellik_jre
Rep
Drives: F82

I used only the supplied tape. Only time i mount the plate is when I park to avoid ticket while I'm away from the car.
Appreciate 2
GKay28.50
      05-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #75
oneknightr
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Good idea on the tape for the plate.

For people who wanna use a plate frame, I bought something called a Chicago Screw. It's very flat with nothing sticking out. You can sandwich the frame > plate > sto n sho.

Here's a link to the ones I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Springfield-L.../dp/B00BFCTAE4
Thanks for this! Details page says they are made of steel. Have they started rusting or are they coated?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #76
oneknightr
Private
Rep

Garage List
I thought I had it all figured out and then I started reading about the Carbonio front plate mount (https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...e+plate+holder). Now I'm wavering between the two.

Sto N Sho

Pros: Plate sits higher and doesn't cover intake area as much as the Carbonio. Cost $85 on eBay (10% eBay Bucks promo running today and tomorrow which lowers cost a bit more). Can be taken off easily with a pull of a pin.
Cons: Will most likely need to drill a hole to ensure the bracket is secure.

Carbonio
Pros: No hole drilling needed. Can be removed as well but not as easy as the Sto N Sho.
Cons: $130 total with shipping. Covers more of the intake area compared to the Sto N Sho. Unsure if attaching to grill poses any long term issues (loosening grill).

For me, it comes down to hole vs no hole and ~$50 price diff. Decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #77
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ no way i would go with the carbonio. Doesn't look as good being lower, blocks more radiator cooling and def. not as secure mounting to the flexible grill.
      05-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #78
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Front plate mounting options

Quote:
I thought I had it all figured out and then I started reading about the Carbonio front plate mount (https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...e+plate+holder). Now I'm wavering between the two.

Sto N Sho

Pros: Plate sits higher and doesn't cover intake area as much as the Carbonio. Cost $85 on eBay (10% eBay Bucks promo running today and tomorrow which lowers cost a bit more). Can be taken off easily with a pull of a pin.
Cons: Will most likely need to drill a hole to ensure the bracket is secure.

Carbonio
Pros: No hole drilling needed. Can be removed as well but not as easy as the Sto N Sho.
Cons: $130 total with shipping. Covers more of the intake area compared to the Sto N Sho. Unsure if attaching to grill poses any long term issues (loosening grill).

For me, it comes down to hole vs no hole and ~$50 price diff. Decisions, decisions.
The hole is a non-issue in my mind. Even if you were to move to a non-front plate state and remove the bracket a small hole in that location will not be seen from normal viewing angles.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #79
oneknightr
Private
Rep

Garage List
Sto N Sho bought! Thanks for the advice and help!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #80
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Sto N Sho bought! Thanks for the advice and help!
It's great. A bit late to the thread.

I intially only used double sided 3M tape but left the plate mounted for 3-4 weeks and it started to get loose. Removed, re-taped and used the screw. Been solid since.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #81
oneknightr
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
It's great. A bit late to the thread.

I intially only used double sided 3M tape but left the plate mounted for 3-4 weeks and it started to get loose. Removed, re-taped and used the screw. Been solid since.
Thanks for the info on your experience! Mine should be delivered either today or tomorrow. I've pretty much decided to use the screw just to be sure it stays on. The hole being on the underside and practically unnoticeable made it an easier decision.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1003.00
      05-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #82
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Here in Sweden it's very popular to use magnets that you put on the backside of the bumper so you easily can remove the numberplate.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #83
TomSawyer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Will this work on a 2019 M4? STO N SHO website says compatible with 2015-2018
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 08:55 PM   #84
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudring View Post
Will this work on a 2019 M4? STO N SHO website says compatible with 2015-2018
Why are you asking us instead of them? I think the answer is “yes.” No difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #85
TomSawyer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Why are you asking us instead of them? I think the answer is “yes.” No difference?
Thanks, I did - STO N SHO could not confirm compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #86
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Unless the lower front fascia has changed, which I don’t think it has, you should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #87
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavjr99 View Post
Zero drilling . . . This thing is awesome. The PERFECT solution.
That is pretty low and it would block the cooling...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #88
FK80M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Has anyone installed the STO N GO mount over PPF? I wouldn't trust the adhesive alone and plan on using the screw to secure it.
Appreciate 0