R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

01-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

AA Mid-Pipe Installation

Has anyone gotten a set of AA Mid Pipes installed on their M3/M4 in the Seattle/Bellevue area? I'm looking for a shop to get mine installed. Hoping to find one that already has experience installing one so they don't have to learn it on the fly since it involves cutting. Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 03:10 AM   #2
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizon View Post
Has anyone gotten a set of AA Mid Pipes installed on their M3/M4 in the Seattle/Bellevue area? I'm looking for a shop to get mine installed. Hoping to find one that already has experience installing one so they don't have to learn it on the fly since it involves cutting. Thanks for your time.
I'd be interested in this as well... Anyone???
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2018, 12:39 AM   #3
David In HD
US ARMY
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CP X-drive

Garage List
2024 BMW M3  [0.00]
I am interested as well
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Guess there are no recommendations. I made an appointment with Achtuning on the 13th. I will report back on my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Guess there are no recommendations. I made an appointment with Achtuning on the 13th. I will report back on my experience.
How did it go? Thinking of doing this myself
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry, I should have gotten back sooner.

The installation did not go as smoothly as I hoped. There seems to be a fitment issue with AA midpipes but I could not find any posts on the forum that says there is a fitment issue so that lead me to believe there is a trick to getting it installed properly without issues. We tried getting in contact with AA but nobody would answer after several tries.

There was 2 areas where the pipes will have interference while driving. One was towards the exhaust. The pipe was very close to some bar. After playing around with it some more the mechanic was able to get more air space. The 2nd area was a brace in the middle of the car. No matter what the mechanic did, there was no way for him to get more space. In the end, he had to add spacers to the brace to bring it lower and provide more space in between.

I'm just surprised no one has this same fitment issue that I experienced. This bugged Achtuning a bit because they can't believe they would be the only shop that has issues with this midpipe so they did a little digging themselves and found out that AA actually has a replacement brace to provide clearance to the pipes. I'm wondering why this brace is not included in the purchase of the midpipes if they know there is a fitment issue. Instead they make it a separate purchase.

Here's the thread that shows there is a replacement brace:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1443885

With the spacers they added, I have not heard of a metal rattling during driving (open or closed valves) or cold start with valve closed. But....if I cold start the car with valves open, you can hear the pipe hitting the brace on just the initial start.

I'll probably reach out to AA and order the replacement. I wish they would have clear about this from the start to avoid headaches.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
NWMcoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe

There was a post that said to put a wood block between pipe and brace when installing to create the proper space. Good luck with the install
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 04:24 AM   #8
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Quote:
Sorry, I should have gotten back sooner.

The installation did not go as smoothly as I hoped. There seems to be a fitment issue with AA midpipes but I could not find any posts on the forum that says there is a fitment issue so that lead me to believe there is a trick to getting it installed properly without issues. We tried getting in contact with AA but nobody would answer after several tries.

There was 2 areas where the pipes will have interference while driving. One was towards the exhaust. The pipe was very close to some bar. After playing around with it some more the mechanic was able to get more air space. The 2nd area was a brace in the middle of the car. No matter what the mechanic did, there was no way for him to get more space. In the end, he had to add spacers to the brace to bring it lower and provide more space in between.

I'm just surprised no one has this same fitment issue that I experienced. This bugged Achtuning a bit because they can't believe they would be the only shop that has issues with this midpipe so they did a little digging themselves and found out that AA actually has a replacement brace to provide clearance to the pipes. I'm wondering why this brace is not included in the purchase of the midpipes if they know there is a fitment issue. Instead they make it a separate purchase.

Here's the thread that shows there is a replacement brace:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1443885

With the spacers they added, I have not heard of a metal rattling during driving (open or closed valves) or cold start with valve closed. But....if I cold start the car with valves open, you can hear the pipe hitting the brace on just the initial start.

I'll probably reach out to AA and order the replacement. I wish they would have clear about this from the start to avoid headaches.
They did not include this brace because it's not made for the AA midpipe . I can't remember if its included in their M2 race exhaust and happens to fit or I had them custom make one that fitted my F80.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #9
jacobhorn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition Packag

I had AA Mid Pipe installed on my 2017 F80 M3 ZCP without any issues whatsoever. I love the new, amplified sound/crackles, especially for the price, vs an entirely new exhaust for $3000+
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I can help with the install, give me a shout. Already done it, and have a full DIY video up for it.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
206_m3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: YAS F80 M3

my tuner shop in Puyallup did my install. It's called AMS Group. Derek is the man!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
It sounds like you got everything figured out. Throwing it out there, I've had really good experience with Cantrell Motorsport in Bellevue. They did a bunch of work on my Nissan 350Z and did a really good job. Their shop usually is filled with Porsche cup cars and Vipers. I wouldn't hesitate to take anything there. They're not the cheapest place around though (probably because of the quality of work), so if price is your biggest concern, there are probably other options.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #13
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Any recommendations in Portland?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #14
Champagne_Reign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Champagne Quartz F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
They did not include this brace because it's not made for the AA midpipe . I can't remember if its included in their M2 race exhaust and happens to fit or I had them custom make one that fitted my F80.

under brace is for the 'Signature' exhaust system, for it having a single 3.5" midpipe. Too big for factory brace. You shouldn't need it since your pipes are same size as oem.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #15
Champagne_Reign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Champagne Quartz F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Any recommendations in Portland?

Matrix Intergrated. They installed my AA Signature exhaust system. I heard rhom innovations does f80 work as well
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #16
123M4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MW Dinan F82

Msg me on here I'll install for cheaper then any shop
Appreciate 0