BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-18-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
ItsaGoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M4

Owner Experience Cayman GT4 vs M3/4

I'm looking for owner experiences comparing the Cayman GT4 to the M3/4 in terms of ride quality (damping, harshness) and road/cabin noise. I realize the GT4 will have more of both, but I own an M4 so will need to judge it relative to what I know.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Owner Experience Cayman GT4 vs M3/4

The short answer is yes, the GT4 has a less comfortable ride and has more road noise. The latter is not a huge difference though.

You won't mind the higher noise levels from the Porsche, though, because it also lets in those sweet engine noises that the bmw can't match
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Wants to buy basically a street legal race car but is concerned about comfort/road noise. Lol
Appreciate 7
      04-19-2018, 02:51 AM   #4
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Wants to buy basically a street legal race car but is concerned about comfort/road noise. Lol
Lol
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #5
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Do it. I traded my F80 for a GT4 and haven't thought twice about it. If you don't need the practicality of the M, it's a no brainer. The GT4 is much more of an experience and teeming with feel in a way the M could never match.

Re: ride, you should drive one. I was actually shocked - I found the ride to be firmer, but less harsh. The suspension is stiffer, but the damping is so much better tuned. So there's more bouncing around in your seat, but it soaks up bumps better. It's a bit hard to describe. But it's certainly plenty comfortable for long drives.

Noise is a little bit higher, but perfectly tolerable.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
spoolin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

A guy local to me moved on from an F82 as soon as the GT4 was released. He drives a lot on the street and attends a few track days per year. I don't think he regrets it one bit; that GT4 is something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Just be aware that the M3/M4 is alot more practical compared to a GT4. You are loosing 2 seats and should consider if thats really ok. When i switched to a two seater, there were times it was very inconvenient - i hadn't considered it before i was put in the situation.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
Do it. I traded my F80 for a GT4 and haven't thought twice about it. If you don't need the practicality of the M, it's a no brainer. The GT4 is much more of an experience and teeming with feel in a way the M could never match.

Re: ride, you should drive one. I was actually shocked - I found the ride to be firmer, but less harsh. The suspension is stiffer, but the damping is so much better tuned. So there's more bouncing around in your seat, but it soaks up bumps better. It's a bit hard to describe. But it's certainly plenty comfortable for long drives.

I agree with these two comments. The GT4 is very livable for a GT car, especially if you don't spec the carbon bucket seats (but c'mon! CF buckets!).

But if NVH is a significant concern - and obviously it is or you wouldn't start this thread - then i worry that you're looking at the wrong car. Do you think that the M4 is already kind of harsh/noisy for your taste?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
My question is: how?

I wanted a GT4 before they were even released... but I can't see paying the ridiculous inflated stickers..new or used.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

GT4's in my area have been going for $105-110K with 2-3k miles.

I get that it "feels" amazing and is much more of a drivers car. I am curious though, is it FASTER than an F8x?

I am considering one, but damn...$110K+ for a used one is quite a bit for what you're getting IMO. Basically, I am asking if it delivers in a straight line as well?

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

no, it's not going to beat a M3/4 in a straight line. it's still a better sports car, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post

I get that it "feels" amazing and is much more of a drivers car. I am curious though, is it FASTER than an F8x?

I am considering one, but damn...$110K+ for a used one is quite a bit for what you're getting IMO. Basically, I am asking if it delivers in a straight line as well?

straight line it is probably comparable to a manual F80. I think it traps around 116 or so in the quarter, so perhaps it's just a hair slower. you definitely feel that too when you first hit the gas since it doesn't have the massive torque of the turbo motor, but at full throttle and once you get going, it feels every bit as fast. throw any bends into the mix though, and it leaves the M in the dust. you just can't describe how much better it corners - the grip of the Cup 2's and the stiffer suspension make you so eager to throw it into a corner it's silly. I'll sometimes stop off at clover-leaf exits and just rip around a couple times.

it's unfair to compare it to the F80 though. the GT4 is a sports car that makes for a far more exhilarating drive, but it's more of a weekend car (esp. with the buckets, which are a must - they're amazing once you get in, but I wouldn't want to climb in and out of them more than twice every day). the M is obviously a daily driver that punches way above its weight. but don't waste your time comparing them on paper - the differences show up in the driving experiences.

and I understand the complaints about the price, but this is by far the best bargain there is for Porsche right now. and while the price upfront is painful, the modest depreciation curves make the true cost of ownership very reasonable. there are plenty of nice examples out there for around $100k with the buckets and low miles. CCB's probably punch that up closer to $105 / $110.
Appreciate 1
doberzus678.50
      04-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post

The've retained so much of their value, it's crazy. Makes me want to consider a GTS instead.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
I'd much rather buy a New $150k GT3 that will cost $150k...than a New $75k GT4 that costs $110k...silly dealership games. If it was worth $110k Porsche would've made that the sticker- no?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #15
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

This topic has been beat to death. I think these car get compared for 2 reasons.....price can be close if you can find a base GT4 and secondly the Pcar seems to be the logical step up from M. Since the GT4 is the baby of the GT cars people enjoy comparing it to the F80 cars. Stop light to stop light the F80 should get there first. But that's about the end of the comparison. While I don't have extensive F80 seat time, I can't imagine the F80 being leaps ahead of the loaded Dinan E92 I sold. So, the mechanical sounds, the
seating position, the handling, and all the other superlatives people add are definitely leaps ahead of the F80. And I find it funny how people complain about the price. The base GT4 started around 84 large. I know people have spent that and some for a F80....and I don't mean GTS. The GT4 for those of us that were fortunate enough to snag one was the heist of the century from Porsche. For what this car offers it is about 10-15 large under priced.....and this is evident by the ADM it had when leaving most dealer lots. So if you ever have a chance to drive one do so. And a 10 or 15 minute test drive won't WOW you. This is going to sound crazy, but you have to learn how to drive a Pcar to extract the WOW factor. Mid and rear engine cars handle and behave differently from conventional cars. The F80 is a great all around car. The GT4 is a great purpose built sports car. So at the end of the day......pick your poison.......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights

Last edited by ///M Ryder; 04-19-2018 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #16
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
I'd much rather buy a New $150k GT3 that will cost $150k...than a New $75k GT4 that costs $110k...silly dealership games. If it was worth $110k Porsche would've made that the sticker- no?
I'm afraid this is not the case......Go find a brand new GT3 for 150k and buy it fast. News flash.....that ain't gonna happen since they are all pretty much sold WELL above sticker. And the GT4 base price was 84k and there were very few built at that price. Porsche under estimated the market for the GT4 so the market adjusted the pricing accordingly.........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #17
ItsaGoose
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
ItsaGoose
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

This was my impression during my test drive as well — that it was less jarring than my M4 in certain ways. It stick to the bumps vs bouncing over them.

Everyone online talks about it being a "race car" hence my concern that it would be overwhelming after a while. Want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Also note, it wouldn't be my DD. I have a commuter car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #19
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaGoose View Post
This was my impression during my test drive as well — that it was less jarring than my M4 in certain ways. It stick to the bumps vs bouncing over them.

Everyone online talks about it being a "race car" hence my concern that it would be overwhelming after a while. Want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Since this won't be your daily.....your concerns are non concerns. Buy one and don't look back ......Phil
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #20
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I'm afraid this is not the case......Go find a brand new GT3 for 150k and buy it fast. News flash.....that ain't gonna happen since they are all pretty much sold WELL above sticker. And the GT4 base price was 84k and there were very few built at that price. Porsche under estimated the market for the GT4 so the market adjusted the pricing accordingly.........Phil
+1 Good luck finding a 991.2 allocation.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #21
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaGoose View Post
Quote:

This was my impression during my test drive as well â€" that it was less jarring than my M4 in certain ways. It stick to the bumps vs bouncing over them.

Ok. So now the question is more clear to me. The car is not a 'race car' in that kind of sense. It's a race car in the sense that you can actually race it and do well with minimum prep, but it's really a street sports car. As long as you're cool with a manual and very little storage space, you can drive the thing all day. The clutch is even very light and a breeze to operate.

I mean, my 997.1 GT3 - that's a handful on the street. The GT4 is a kitten compared to that.

I thought your question was, I am looking at the GT4 but I really don't want a higher-NVH car than my M4
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #22
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi, the LWB will be a bit tough as a daily since you keep needing to move the seat back to get out. For longer trips the thin padding gets a bit noticeable.

It's fine. You should get the car
Appreciate 0