European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #23
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SO Comp Pack F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
If you were going to option up an e450 anyway, agree that 5k more for e53 Is interesting.

The c63/63s vs e53 coupe pricing is what I would personally review closely (or even glc63)
Yeah, all slightly different segments.

I think the new GLC 63s is probably the best looking SUV there is, I'm sure it's a weapon and is rapid. Still would be a fair bit more than the E53 though.. Tempting
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #24
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thought I should give my first impressions after having this car for a week, compared to the f80..

First day when I picked the car up, I was actually quite sad and missed my F80. Everything was different. Gearbox, engine, seating position, all the controls.. felt completely alien. And quite big.

As I've had the car, I've been enjoying it more and more.

Firstly:
- the car is not as sporty as the F80. The car definitely feels heavier, and when you push the limits of grip, you can feel the understeer. And the car does feel bigger.
- the engine and transmission is completely different. The EQ boost, you feel this bizarre surge at low speeds. From 0-50mph the throttle is so urgent and the car feels so nippy. It boosts and 'surges' in a way the F80 didn't. However, when you start picking up speed the engine doesn't scream at the top end like the F80 did. The overwhelming torque doesn't kick in and feel beastly. The power is extremely managable.
- breaks are good and chassis and steering is good, but as I said at the limit it feels closer to a regular car..

Here's the difference...

- when I go home after work the drive is EFFFORTLESS. You cruise home and you feel not at all jaded or tired by any driving. You can drive at high speeds and you barely notice it.
- around town the EQ with the start stop and the transmission is so smooth. Everything is so effortless, particularly with the variable steering rack.
- the way it picks up speed at low speeds again is so effortless. It just zooms away.

All in all it's more detached, but more refined and relaxing.

The F80 I wanted to blast everywhere and I drove like a hooligan. This car I'm happy more to cruise. Genuinely it's a cliche, but I'm happy cruising along in this car, wafting through anything. Whereas in the F80 I felt I had to have it at 3000+ rpm ripping it all the time.

They are both inline 6 turbos... but completely different cars. At first I was sad, but now I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Congrats on the new car. You should check out a fast EV next time. Seems like it will be right up your alley based on all the things you posted liking about your e53

Sounds like you were ready for a more sedate car and moving away from m3 was a good call
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 03:13 AM   #26
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Congrats on the new car. You should check out a fast EV next time. Seems like it will be right up your alley based on all the things you posted liking about your e53

Sounds like you were ready for a more sedate car and moving away from m3 was a good call
I do like sporty cars, I definitely didn't nanny my M3 around. In fact quite the opposite. I feel when the G80 M3 comes out that will likely be a good blend. What you need is an M5, with less weight and more agility. I do think this mild hybridisation will come into a lot of cars in the future. The potential of it is great, and it feels great at low speeds and stop starting. It's probably more suited to AWD cars as big power RWD cars probably need some turbo lag down low to hook up the tyres in first and second.

I figure I've got this for 3 years and change is nice. I probably do prefer smaller cars, but often hard to find the luxury in them, and obviously as you shorten the wheelbase, ride quality will deteriorate.

There are some creature comforts that merc just does better. I definitely prefer the BMW iDrive, but, the burmeister sound system is a million times better than the HK one.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #27
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Congrats on the car, I am glad you are happy with your decision!