Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #23
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Just to chime in since I will not be around for a few days after today...

We are working with the dealership and looking into the failure. BMW did there thing on Tuesday and we have requested some additional information as a result of that inspection to properly address the legal side. Obviously, its a big claim so due diligence is par for the course.
Hypothetically in general terms, If you feel it unrelated to the tune and BMW believes it is, what does that mean for the warranty holder?
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #24
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Hypothetically in general terms, If you feel it unrelated to the tune and BMW believes it is, what does that mean for the warranty holder?
I'm waiting for a "we don't comment on ongoing investigations"
Appreciate 2
alex23642861.50
Ibiza3611.50
      05-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #25
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
This is the only reason I hesitate putting Dinan Stage 3 (with CAI and Heat Exhanger) on my new 2019.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #26
braunthalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWEI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunthalf View Post
So my 2016 F80 with 32,00 miles went in to the dealer for a knocking sound. They first misdiagnosed my exhaust scraped the ground and had me file a claim with my insurance to have the exhaust fixed. When i picked it up last friday the same noise was there...... Today i got a call from my dealers saying they found metal shavings in the filter and they are voiding my warranty due to my Dinan tune. Has anyone had this kind of issue and any advice would be great, I called Dinan and was told to take it to a Authorized Dinan dealer.
What kinda mods you got?
Sorry but I just saw your message. After market market mods are DINAN stage 3 tune, DINAN air intake, DINAN intercooler and some carbon fiber cosmetics.

Last edited by braunthalf; 05-23-2019 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #27
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

I have a feeling they will deny it and put the blame on the driver with something stupid like he redlined it
I would be surprised otherwise
Good luck though OP
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #28
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

so I can wipe my ass with warranties nowadays lol. I cant see where anyone was "profitable with extended warranty".

My g35 I got a new engine tranny, flywheel under factory. Bought the extended and used it for a frozen caliper. The car still chugged oil and the transmission hummed like a bird. lol go figure.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #29
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
I have a feeling they will deny it and put the blame on the driver with something stupid like he redlined it
Good luck though OP
Thank you for making my stress level jump 100 points, I am trying to stay possessive about this whole thing.... My dream can has always been a M3 with a full DINAN kit and warranty was always on my mind. I have never raced the car or drive it like a stole it so I hope I don't get a silly response like that. From the sounds of it DINAN and BMW have been working to get this fixed and I can see it taking a bit of time considering they want to replace the motor....
      05-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #30
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Good luck though OP
Thank you for making my stress level jump 100 points, I am trying to stay possessive about this whole thing.... My dream can has always been a M3 with a full DINAN kit and warranty was always on my mind. I have never raced the car or drive it like a stole it so I hope I don't get a silly response like that. From the sounds of it DINAN and BMW have been working to get this fixed and I can see it taking a bit of time considering they want to replace the motor....
Sorry man didn't mean to stress you out. I prepare my self for the worst at least I don't get surprised. As you said hopefully they work something out for you. Good luck
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #31
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Just to chime in since I will not be around for a few days after today...

We are working with the dealership and looking into the failure. BMW did there thing on Tuesday and we have requested some additional information as a result of that inspection to properly address the legal side. Obviously, its a big claim so due diligence is par for the course.
The tone in this sure sounds like you guys are already trying to walk from this.

"BMW did there thing"

"we have requested some additional information as a result of that inspection to properly address the legal side."

"Obviously, its a big claim so due diligence is par for the course."

The guy has so much dinan crap on his car and you guys are already positioning yourself in this manner?

This is exactly why I dont and will never buy a dinan product.
      05-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #32
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
The tone in this sure sounds like you guys are already trying to walk from this.

"BMW did there thing"

"we have requested some additional information as a result of that inspection to properly address the legal side."

"Obviously, its a big claim so due diligence is par for the course."

The guy has so much dinan crap on his car and you guys are already positioning yourself in this manner?

This is exactly why I dont and will never buy a dinan product.
A little premature to have that kind of reaction no? It sounds like both sides (BMW and Dinan) are simply going though the proper protocol to determine what caused the failure. There doesnt seem to be any reason to think the OP will not be covered at this point whether by BMW, Dinan, or a combination thereof.
Appreciate 3
ntg442888.50
minn1914028.50
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      05-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #33
M3anth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
A little premature to have that kind of reaction no? It sounds like both sides (BMW and Dinan) are simply going though the proper protocol to determine what caused the failure. There doesnt seem to be any reason to think the OP will not be covered at this point whether by BMW, Dinan, or a combination thereof.
+1

Some serious hate going on in this thread. At least give them an opportunity to go through the motions.
Appreciate 3
minn1914028.50
      05-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #34
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
Do you really think a company that's presented with a claim- opens their checkbook and asks, "how much?"
Appreciate 4
minn1914028.50
LOW4LYF2163.00
Ibiza3611.50
      05-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #35
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Due diligence is key for all parties involved. At least we know BMW isn't going to provide warranty coverage, because the car has been modified.

I don't blame Dinan either for going through the motions. No one knows what else was done to the car or how the mechanical failure happened. However, if the root cause cannot be determined, then Dinan needs to foot the bill period.
Appreciate 3
Mandi90TT2712.00
Ibiza3611.50
      05-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #36
braunthalf
Private
Rep

First off thank you Dinan_engineering for the update. Hopefully you guys can determine my outcome soon, and I do understand that this will be a process.

Update from my advisor.. So far BMW has determined that the the tune damaged the motor due to boost faults and possible fuel fault. DINAN has requested the information be sent to BMW head corders and then to Dinan which has been done. From what he said this is normal procedure due to the amount of the claim.

Advisor could not say if they were going to cover the claim or not but it will take some time to decide... In addition DINAN requested to ask me that "if they cover the motor is it possible for me to have the install done at a non bmw dealer" In which I agreed to.

I will again keep you updated on all information I get.

Last edited by braunthalf; 05-23-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914028.50
      05-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #37
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

How many miles do you have on the tune?
I have mine around 2k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #38
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Fellas, give them a chance here. Doing diligence here isn't exactly unwarranted.
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      05-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #39
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
The good thing about forums and social media is that companies are held to a higher standard. If this was the late 90s, vendors could screw you over without lube and no one would ever know about it.
Appreciate 5
Ibiza3611.50
BimmerKay196.50
Mr. Hankey1025.50
      05-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #40
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3anth View Post
+1

Some serious hate going on in this thread. At least give them an opportunity to go through the motions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAudi View Post
Do you really think a company that's presented with a claim- opens their checkbook and asks, "how much?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Due diligence is key for all parties involved. At least we know BMW isn't going to provide warranty coverage, because the car has been modified.

I don't blame Dinan either for going through the motions. No one knows what else was done to the car or how the mechanical failure happened. However, if the root cause cannot be determined, then Dinan needs to foot the bill period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Fellas, give them a chance here. Doing diligence here isn't exactly unwarranted.

Oh please guys. We have seen this dinan/dealer song and dance so many times here. I don't see how anyone can have any faith in Dinan or there warranty.

I sincerely hope the OP gets this covered. But they sound like they are already focused on finding an out. At least that's how I felt reading that response from them.

Maybe I am too soon to say something. But it cant hurt the OP with dinan knowing how some of us feel about their "warranty".

And good luck to the OP. I sincerely hope you get this resolved under that warranty you paid for.
      05-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #41
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Good luck though OP

Unless it's something like user error or intentional damage, there is no reason they wouldn't pay for the repairs.

Dinan doesn't pay out pocket for this claim, they have their own insurance to cover major stuff like this. This is just the warranty department doing their due diligence, as required by any major carrier.

People here like to shit on Dinan because they can't or don't want to pay for their products. Or asinine arguments like: "JB4 gives you so much more" / "Flash tunes are better" / "Steve left Dinan because they suck"

As long as I've known BMW, I've associated with them the Dinan name. My dealer in NJ has a dedicated office to Dinan parts and claims.
I trust their products over any other tuner, simply because they actually have a stake in your vehicle's reliability, as oppose to the other tuners would tell you go kick rocks in a situation like this. Good luck!

Appreciate 2
      05-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #42
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3anth View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAudi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post

Oh please guys. We have seen this dinan/dealer song and dance so many times here. I don't see how anyone can have any faith in Dinan or there warranty.

I sincerely hope the OP gets this covered. But they sound like they are already focused on finding an out. At least that's how I felt reading that response from them.

Maybe I am too soon to say something. But it cant hurt the OP with dinan knowing how some of us feel about their "warranty".

And good luck to the OP. I sincerely hope you get this resolved under that warranty you paid for.
I have to agree, the more I read the statement the more I feel like they are getting prepared to reject my car.

But at the same time everything on the car is legit, only things ever done were cosmetic and the Dinan stage 3 tune,CFI,Intercooler so I can't see a reason why they would rejected me.

Last edited by braunthalf; 05-23-2019 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #43
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I think I would also be looking at my car insurance policy at this point. Such a stressful situation. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #44
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Quote:
First off thank you Dinan_engineering for the update. Hopefully you guys can determine my outcome soon, and I do understand that this will be a process.

Update from my advisor.. So far BMW has determined that the the tune damaged the motor due to boost faults and possible fuel fault. DINAN has requested the information be sent to BMW head corders and then to Dinan which has been done. From what he said this is normal procedure due to the amount of the claim.

Advisor could not say if they were going to cover the claim or not but it will take some time to decide... In addition DINAN requested to ask me that "if they cover the motor is it possible for me to have the install done at a non bmw dealer" In which I agreed to.

I will again keep you updated on all information I get.
It's sketchy that they'd make you go to a non-BMW dealer when the BMW dealer is a DINAN dealer.
I would think the reasoning in this would be cost. DINAN dealer shops mechanics would charge much less then BMW's in-house dealer mechanics would most likely.