Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 F80 DCT

Lease buyout vs another car

My 2017 F80 competition is ending it's lease contract soon and I wanted to ask opinions on next steps.

MSRP was $85,000 and residual is at 62% (contract price $52,700).
36 mo lease, 10k mi per year, $1025/mo with $0 down.

I'm at month 32 with 22k miles and the dealership is appraising my car at $48,000. However KBB lists it at $55k private seller and the same dealership is selling a black version of the same car, same mileage for $55k as well.

Considering the amount of money I spent on the car (added CF mods, ceramic coat, spacers) should I buy this car out or turn it in for something else?

IF I turn it in, I'm looking for something a little less stiff as the roads and drivers here are atrocious. I've been looking at the Z4 M40i and the leasing payment are a bit less than my M3. Also considering an M2 Competition but I feel like the stiffness would also be an issue for me. Thoughts? TIA!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Hmm that's a tough one. I think you're going to feel ripped off if you opt to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Hmm that's a tough one. I think you're going to feel ripped off if you opt to purchase.
I agree, with the amount of payments I made, I should have about $45k left if I bought out the car instead. I'm just disappointed I got dealt a bad deal when I only used 2/3 of the mileage I paid for.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Get a lexus if you don't want a stiff ride. Try an RC-F?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Get a lexus if you don't want a stiff ride. Try an RC-F?
I'll look into it, but I test drove the Z4 and it was pretty enjoyable. I think I get more incentives if I stay with the brand too but thanks for the suggestion
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I agree, with the amount of payments I made, I should have about $45k left if I bought out the car instead. I'm just disappointed I got dealt a bad deal when I only used 2/3 of the mileage I paid for.
I think it's important to consider the fact that whatever you paid for your lease is already over and done with. You can't get that back. So I think you should take that completely out of the equation at this point. If you like the car, you're not gonna get that car with that mileage for 52K. So, either you keep it, or you get another car entirely. I think a decision is more about whether you want the car, rather than buyout price.

Also, I've heard that BMW FS May knock it down for you A grand or so. I will call them and find out.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
White3401379.00
      11-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
4151zero
HOV clogger
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 and i3 BEV

Good old H-town, I remember that place all too well. It's hard to find that much car for the money, I have the same setup.

Consider going to 18" wheels and tires to soften up the ride, I've got my 666m's sitting in storage with new michelin 4S's that seemed to ride a lil softer than MPSS

Keep it, its tough buying used cars from flood prone areas!

my 2cents =)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
I think it's important to consider the fact that whatever you paid for your lease is already over and done with. You can't get that back. So I think you should take that completely out of the equation at this point. If you like the car, you're not gonna get that car with that mileage for 52K. So, either you keep it, or you get another car entirely. I think a decision is more about whether you want the car, rather than buyout price.

Also, I've heard that BMW FS May knock it down for you A grand or so. I will call them and find out.

Good luck.
That's a good point about the sunk cost fallacy. The money is already spent at this point. Just debating if I want the M2 Competition now with brand new warranty and maintenance. Also thinking about getting a manual this time.

Are you saying I won't get this car for 52k because it'll be more or less than that? And I thought the residual couldn't be negotiated?

I like the car but I don't really drive it the way it should. Never tracked or autocrossed, but if I get the manual M2 I feel like I'd be more involved with the car and keep it for several years. I'm also considering the Audi RS3 at this point as well. Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4151zero View Post
Good old H-town, I remember that place all too well. It's hard to find that much car for the money, I have the same setup.

Consider going to 18" wheels and tires to soften up the ride, I've got my 666m's sitting in storage with new michelin 4S's that seemed to ride a lil softer than MPSS

Keep it, its tough buying used cars from flood prone areas!

my 2cents =)
I just bought brand new PS4s thinking I was going to buy that car, that's $1600 wasted now lol. Houston roads are terrible but even driving around in a luxury car, you'll still feel all the bumps anyway so I dont think that's a justified reason to get a softer ride anymore. Tbh I don't really mind the bump, it's mostly other passengers as well as the fear that I'll damage the tire/wheel/suspension. Really leaning into the M2 comp or RS3 but we'll see as time goes by
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post

Good luck.
That's a good point about the sunk cost fallacy. The money is already spent at this point. Just debating if I want the M2 Competition now with brand new warranty and maintenance. Also thinking about getting a manual this time.

Are you saying I won't get this car for 52k because it'll be more or less than that? And I thought the residual couldn't be negotiated?

I like the car but I don't really drive it the way it should. Never tracked or autocrossed, but if I get the manual M2 I feel like I'd be more involved with the car and keep it for several years. I'm also considering the Audi RS3 at this point as well. Thanks for your input!
I meant that you won't find a 2017 F80 ZCP, with 22k miles on it with original MSRP of 85k for $52,000 right now, much less one whose history you are sure of.

I was in the market, looking nationwide, for a long while until very recently and everything I was seeing was more than that.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep

If I get the car I would have to get extended warranty, no more free maintenance, etc. for the same price I could get a new M2 competition and I would get it in MT instead of the DCT on my M3. I test drove one today and it's not as luxurious but tbh I never really used anything in the M3 other than the radio.

My perfect car would be the M5 with perfect balance of performance and luxury. But for now I think the M2 might be the better value at the moment. If you want to buy this car I can let you know which dealership is taking it in lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #12
ThingsM3
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
If I get the car I would have to get extended warranty, no more free maintenance, etc. for the same price I could get a new M2 competition and I would get it in MT instead of the DCT on my M3. I test drove one today and it's not as luxurious but tbh I never really used anything in the M3 other than the radio.

My perfect car would be the M5 with perfect balance of performance and luxury. But for now I think the M2 might be the better value at the moment. If you want to buy this car I can let you know which dealership is taking it in lol

Did you decide what to do?
Appreciate 1
f80er2056.00
      09-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

The dealer’s offer is low ball. He wants the car to sell and make a profit on.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #14
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Op the m2c is absolutely stiffer and has a shorter wheelbase. it actually may cost you more to lease unless you just buy the car. BUT it’s a blast and more fun on the track than my f80 was. It has real brakes 6/4pot calipers and a manual ebrake. It will be desirable in the future as bmw is streamlining most of their performance car builds with many shared parts. The M3 is more of a daily driver tbh. Bigger fuel tank as well. If you ca live without a manual, get an f90.
Appreciate 0