Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #23
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
2004 to 2007 Z4’s are practically free these days, I got one for $7.5k that I trash like there’s no tomorrow. Less than $15k for a pristine example.

Or a Z4M, a big step up, raw, magnificent, for around $25k. Values are on the up so you’d be driving a free car for a few years essentially.
I've owned two Z4M Roadsters and cannot agree more, they are absolutely fantastic machines. Just stay up on the VANOS and rod bearing issues and you will not be happier with the car. It was a very tough decision to give up my last Z4M for the M4 I currently have, and some days I wish I hadn't done it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #24
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I would not recommend a Miata for a daily driver given the commute you have and as a replacement for an M4. They are extremely fun cars for the street for short drives and/or occasional use. However, they are seriously lacking in power, they are small and low without many creature comforts and these are the killers for a daily driver. That is my viewpoint, coming from having several and an extended family that has had miatas since the early nineties. My favorite was my 2004 mazdaspeed version. NC’s are my least favorite. When I visit my folks up north, I do enjoy taking their 1990 NA out for rides, as there is something about the simplicity and light weight of that car that is enjoyable for a country ride even though it has low power. I sold mine last one 2 years ago. I don’t see myself in one again, but I could end up with a Boxster down the road.......
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #25
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
I would not recommend a Miata for a daily driver given the commute you have and as a replacement for an M4. They are extremely fun cars for the street for short drives and/or occasional use. However, they are seriously lacking in power, they are small and low without many creature comforts and these are the killers for a daily driver. That is my viewpoint, coming from having several and an extended family that has had miatas since the early nineties. My favorite was my 2004 mazdaspeed version. NC's are my least favorite. When I visit my folks up north, I do enjoy taking their 1990 NA out for rides, as there is something about the simplicity and light weight of that car that is enjoyable for a country ride even though it has low power. I sold mine last one 2 years ago. I don't see myself in one again, but I could end up with a Boxster down the road.......
The newer ones have a far superior ride. They also have decent tech in a very simple package. We have a 2016 with the track package and nav. It comes with bilstein suspension, brembo brakes and bose stereo with speakers in the head rests. Low power for sure, but it weighs 2300 lbs, so 0-60 is 5.5. Not too bad for the $29K we paid.

I just did 7 hours to Vegas in it no problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:54 AM   #26
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Slight little boost in power, but the 2019 may reinvigorate this discussion.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazd...-miata-review/
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I've owned two Z4M Roadsters and cannot agree more, they are absolutely fantastic machines. Just stay up on the VANOS and rod bearing issues and you will not be happier with the car. It was a very tough decision to give up my last Z4M for the M4 I currently have, and some days I wish I hadn't done it.
It's only free if the combo of old car + hard use doesn't get you.

Not trying to suggest there's an issue with e85/6 m, just pointing out the reality of driving an old sports car the way it was intended

As for the new Miata and slight power bump, i would still take an older one + mods to max out on the sport aspects
Appreciate 0