European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #67
blackboxmycar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP & F15 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by agagom View Post
I tried the fuses 100 and 161 for the +BATT, and both cases the Comfort Access died after overnight parking... The cable doesn't seem to be interfering with it, because when I only park about an hour or so, the Comfort Access still works.
I'll continue to testing with Power Magic Pro timer with shorter hour setting, like 6 hours.
Hmmm very interesting indeed. I have 2 BMWs and both of my cars have comfort access. I don't have an issue. I am going to reach out to my local M3/M4 owners and test this out. I will also keep you guys posted here.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #68
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Please do, this is the only thing holding me back.

I want a cam with all the support/ app that the blackvue's have but don't want to deal with anything I'm hearing in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #69
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I need to get one, I'll probably go with BlackVue
      03-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #70
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

So these are the products that I was eluding to earlier, in terms of a secondary battery that runs the dashcams, instead of running off the main car battery.

Cellink B - http://www.blackvue.com.sg/cellink-b-battery.html

Anypower T-Power Alpha - http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/acces...-t-power-plus/

The reason why I haven't tried these so far, is that I'm concerned that I won't drive my car for long enough periods to keep this secondary battery unit charged up.

Past: 2009 Ibis White S5 (APR Supercharged V8)
Past: 2004 Imola Red M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #71
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep

Review of the Anypower T-Power Alpha:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...eo-added.9275/

Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 01:36 AM   #72
blackboxmycar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Please do, this is the only thing holding me back.

I want a cam with all the support/ app that the blackvue's have but don't want to deal with anything I'm hearing in this thread.

I am really confused too to be honest. We have alot of F30 owners with our dashcams and we have 0 report of loosing comfort access feature. I've installed these dashcams on both F30s and F80s myself before and these customers are not reporting such issue. Afterall F30 and F80 share exact same fusebox layout.

If anyone here is from Vancouver, BC. Please PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merli View Post
So these are the products that I was eluding to earlier, in terms of a secondary battery that runs the dashcams, instead of running off the main car battery.

Cellink B - http://www.blackvue.com.sg/cellink-b-battery.html

Anypower T-Power Alpha - http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/acces...-t-power-plus/

The reason why I haven't tried these so far, is that I'm concerned that I won't drive my car for long enough periods to keep this secondary battery unit charged up.
For BMWs, Cellink works the best. You can get power from 12v outlet in your vehicle. Afterall Cellink literally designed their unit so it works best with BMWs. As you all know, if you hardwire your dashcam and leave your dashcam running over certain amount of hours, you will see a "battery discharge sign" and this scares alot of BMW owners. (Nothing wrong with your battery btw. Your BMW is simply telling you, something was pulling the car battery while it was parked)

And thus pretty much all BMW owners in Korea get some type of aftermarket battery installed for their dashcam. The trend right now is to go with Cellink. Besides, parking mode feature is extremely important in Korea and Cellink can last up to 72 hours.

Cellink also puts less stress for your vehicle because it uses its own battery power first which can last up to 72 hours and then it moves over to the car battery. While T Power Plus Alpha will use your car battery first and then it moves over to its own battery power. Think of T Power Plus Alpha = Power Magic Pro + internal battery pack.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 02:21 AM   #73
Merli
Sunburnt Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackboxmycar View Post
For BMWs, Cellink works the best. You can get power from 12v outlet in your vehicle. Afterall Cellink literally designed their unit so it works best with BMWs. As you all know, if you hardwire your dashcam and leave your dashcam running over certain amount of hours, you will see a "battery discharge sign" and this scares alot of BMW owners. (Nothing wrong with your battery btw. Your BMW is simply telling you, something was pulling the car battery while it was parked)

And thus pretty much all BMW owners in Korea get some type of aftermarket battery installed for their dashcam. The trend right now is to go with Cellink. Besides, parking mode feature is extremely important in Korea and Cellink can last up to 72 hours.

Cellink also puts less stress for your vehicle because it uses its own battery power first which can last up to 72 hours and then it moves over to the car battery. While T Power Plus Alpha will use your car battery first and then it moves over to its own battery power. Think of T Power Plus Alpha = Power Magic Pro + internal battery pack.
Excellent information!

Thank you for contributing to our forums, I watched your youtube videos before installing my DR650 into my M4

Quote:
I am really confused too to be honest. We have alot of F30 owners with our dashcams and we have 0 report of loosing comfort access feature. I've installed these dashcams on both F30s and F80s myself before and these customers are not reporting such issue. Afterall F30 and F80 share exact same fusebox layout.
I have tapped into fuse 161/162 for BATT/ACC, and can confirm that my M4 gets the battery warning message most mornings, and comfort access is disabled on a subset of those mornings. It seems to me that:
  • slight battery drain = warning message
  • greater battery drain = warning message and comfort access doesn't work.

I'm not too worried about the battery drainage warning, but comfort access not working is more annoying and I would like a fix for it if possible (hence my looking into the secondary battery solution).

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #74
DreamCarM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Do you remember which fuses you tap the ACC/BAT on the F30s you installed? (with Magic power pro). I have seen your youtube video, just can't tell which fuses you used. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #75
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

To answer some earlier questions. The dash cams that tap the mirror and that do NOT have a parking function like the mini 0801/0803 do not have a battery drain issue because they turn off and on with the cars ignition. The dash cams that stay on when the car is parked to record parking accidents are the ones that potentially have the battery drain issue.

Lots of people ask me where i tapped the mirror.

I followed instructions here

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=780561

I just used a simple wire tap like a posi tap

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_669PP60....html?tp=61469
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:47 AM   #76
Rusk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

I am very close to ordering a dash cam but I am holding off until there is a good solution which doesn't cause any level of impact to the car. Even the warning message which actually causes no harm I don't like the look of.
BMW M4 - Tanzanite Blue, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, M DCT, Comfort Access, Reversing Camera, Sun Protection Glass, Extended Storage, Armrest with sliding adjustment, Interior trim finisher - Pearl Chrome, Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Surround-View Camera, M Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound, Internet, Online Entertainment, Speed Limit Display, Piano Black Interior BMW Individual.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #77
DCoy
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusk
I am very close to ordering a dash cam but I am holding off until there is a good solution which doesn't cause any level of impact to the car. Even the warning message which actually causes no harm I don't like the look of.
I have the FDX900 iNavi(Thinkware in North America). It has a battery monitor built in. I set the cutoff at 12.3(max setting). I also set the parking mode to 8 or 6 hours to ensure the battery drain warning does not come up. Often I keep the motion setting off as well. The shock setting is sufficient for my situation.
If I set the motion detection on in a busy parking garage for the night, I get the battery drain message and comfort access will be off.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...lash-gps.1563/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://dashcamtalk....-gps.1563/</a>
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #78
Hostrander
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
To answer some earlier questions. The dash cams that tap the mirror and that do NOT have a parking function like the mini 0801/0803 do not have a battery drain issue because they turn off and on with the cars ignition. The dash cams that stay on when the car is parked to record parking accidents are the ones that potentially have the battery drain issue.

Lots of people ask me where i tapped the mirror.

I followed instructions here

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=780561

I just used a simple wire tap like a posi tap

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_669PP60....html?tp=61469
What parts do I need for this?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #79
huatian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciouz View Post
Entertaining review... I'll take the 2 dogs. haha
I'll take them too.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #80
blackboxmycar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Update:

Sorry for the lack of update. I have a local M4 with BlackVue DR650GW now. I hardwired his dashcam for him. I will keep you guys updated.

I also shot a quick walk around video of the install. Hope this helps.

Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #81
808M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Update:

Sorry for the lack of update. I have a local M4 with BlackVue DR650GW now. I hardwired his dashcam for him. I will keep you guys updated.

Ok, newbie here. Great video, seems easy enough to do without damaging the car. Is the Power Magic Pro and Multi-Safer same? Mahalo.

Last edited by 808M3; 03-26-2015 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #82
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I wanted to install my dashcam in that position but found out it was blocking the front facing camera for the adaptive headlights. Did you find that it wasn't a problem, blackboxmycar?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #83
racsos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Update:

any luck with the install? my car gets the battery drainage warning every morning. i do have the multi safer.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #84
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

Any ideas if the multi-safer is available in Europe?

Thanks
      04-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #85
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Anyone try THINKWARE? They look legit:

http://thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F550
      04-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #86
808M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I wanted to install my dashcam in that position but found out it was blocking the front facing camera for the adaptive headlights. Did you find that it wasn't a problem, blackboxmycar?
Oops! Never had opportunity to use that feature, so installed per Alex's video (blackboxmycar). I have just repositioned my camera to the left, seems like it clears sensor, but have not tried, so not sure if it will work. From my driving position, camera is barely noticeable.
I have installed Cellink B battery pak. Just hooked up today, so have no opinions or views yet. Alex said Power Magic Pro not needed, but forgot to tell him what car I have. I hard wired it, but didn't work. Used cigarette plug and works, so not sure if hard wire connector is no good. I am using same fuses as he mentioned in video, except I believe he meant 161 not 141 (headlight). I have emailed him to ask.
Attached Images

Last edited by 808M3; 04-04-2015 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2015, 01:35 AM   #87
808M3
Private
Rep

OK, tested adaptive high beam, seems to be working. Only one instance, it didn't recognize car stopped at intersection on left. But, as soon as car entered the intersection, it went to low beam. Maybe camera is blocking a percentage of sensor's view, but I don't see it as a problem. It sensed any car that was in front of me or coming towards me. It also senses street lights, etc.... Of course, you need to test it yourself as your driving conditions may not be the same as mine.
This is closer look at camera position. Instead of lens centered, mount is centered on window.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #88
Jchan112
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M3
OK, tested adaptive high beam, seems to be working. Only one instance, it didn't recognize car stopped at intersection on left. But, as soon as car entered the intersection, it went to low beam. Maybe camera is blocking a percentage of sensor's view, but I don't see it as a problem. It sensed any car that was in front of me or coming towards me. It also senses street lights, etc.... Of course, you need to test it yourself as your driving conditions may not be the same as mine.
This is closer look at camera position. Instead of lens centered, mount is centered on window.
Can you post a pic from the driver perspective? I mounted mine on top of the rear view mirror to make it discrete as possible from outside but the dot matrix is blocking some of the video.
Appreciate 0