Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Any difference Pagid RS29 vs RSL29?

I'm seeing conflicting information on this - I assume that even if there is a difference - that it is minimal - and both pads perform almost the same.

However - anyone who can shed light on any differences would be appreciated,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:18 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I am not sure if it is just a re-branding or if Pagid actually did something to the compound/construction. One thing though, is that since Pagid changed the name, I've had three instances of the pad shearing off the backing plate with about 4~6mm left of the pad. Maybe it is just a coincidence and it has nothing to do with the name change, but it's not a fun experience when it happens and I am switching to PF08 this season.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #3
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not sure if it is just a re-branding or if Pagid actually did something to the compound/construction. One thing though, is that since Pagid changed the name, I've had three instances of the pad shearing off the backing plate with about 4~6mm left of the pad. Maybe it is just a coincidence and it has nothing to do with the name change, but it's not a fun experience when it happens and I am switching to PF08 this season.
Very concerning - is the PF08 pad compound compatible with the stock pad compound?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Quote:
Very concerning - is the PF08 pad compound compatible with the stock pad compound?
Never mind - found my answer. Wonder how many others have had this problem with RSL29s.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
You need a set of these as you're likely out driving your stock brakes and cooking them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
You need a set of these as you're likely out driving your stock brakes and cooking them.
Nope. Way too heavy and 18" wheels don't fit over them.

The stock irons have worked perfectly fine for me thus far.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Way too heavy and 18" wheels don't fit over them.

The stock irons have worked perfectly fine for me thus far.
Working fine with the friction material delaminating off the backing plate That's excessive heat and a more aggressive pad will chew up and crack the rotors.

You're obviously pretty fast and pushing the limits and the chances are, you're reaching the limit of the stock brakes. The rotors are heavy, but I can't see BMW fitting them to the M2 to slow it down or devising the kit if stock brakes are ideally efficient.

19's aren't ideal or cost effective I agree.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
Working fine with the friction material delaminating off the backing plate That's excessive heat and a more aggressive pad will chew up and crack the rotors.

You're obviously pretty fast and pushing the limits and the chances are, you're reaching the limit of the stock brakes. The rotors are heavy, but I can't see BMW fitting them to the M2 to slow it down or devising the kit if stock brakes are ideally efficient.

19's aren't ideal or cost effective I agree.
The Pagid pads are held in place with rivets to the backing plates. When the pads wear down too low, the rivets seem to become too short to properly hold the pad in place. I never encountered this issue before they renamed the pads from RS29 to RSL29, it's like they had better "glue" between the pad and the backing plate. Anyhow, as long as I replace the pads at ~6mm, there's no issue. But I'll still give the PF08 a shot next season. I had them on my E92 and really liked them, the had better initial bite than the RS29 but were noisier on the street. The only reason I switched to Pagid on my F82 is because it took quite a while for Performance Friction to offer pads for the F8X chassis.

The stock irons provide me sufficient braking power for my driving style and the track I frequent, hence why I don't feel the need to upgrade. If I were to upgrade though, I would go for a proper BBK, these M2 brakes are way too heavy.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Pagid pads are held in place with rivets to the backing plates. When the pads wear down too low, the rivets seem to become too short to properly hold the pad in place. I never encountered this issue before they renamed the pads from RS29 to RSL29, it's like they had better "glue" between the pad and the backing plate. Anyhow, as long as I replace the pads at ~6mm, there's no issue. But I'll still give the PF08 a shot next season. I had them on my E92 and really liked them, the had better initial bite than the RS29 but were noisier on the street. The only reason I switched to Pagid on my F82 is because it took quite a while for Performance Friction to offer pads for the F8X chassis.

The stock irons provide me sufficient braking power for my driving style and the track I frequent, hence why I don't feel the need to upgrade. If I were to upgrade though, I would go for a proper BBK, these M2 brakes are way too heavy.
I've experienced exactly this with Hawk HT10's in the late 90's. We changed to a different pad compound but ended up having hats made at significant cost to suit AP rotors where we had a controlled caliper with rotor freedom. The aggressive pad compound that didn't delaminate chewed up stock type rotors.

The pads with this particular car and brake setup was a heat dissipation issue from the car being under-braked. The M2C brakes will definitely dissipate heat better than the stock brakes, but the weight's in the rotors that could be lightened significantly with an aftermarket variant. They were surprisingly cheap in Australia, just over 6k and 5k cheaper than anything better and a genuine BMW kit's worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #10
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Will second this - and I have another post on this topic after an event at COTA - that the newer branding of the pad lasted no where as long as the original. Can typically get 3 events out of a set of RS-29's. Did an event in August last year with the RSL-29 and ate through the entire pad - front and back - in one weekend.

I did try them again at the Chin Feb event and outside of the white ash and losing all the paint color, they looked like they'd barely been used(like has happened the last 3 years with these pads). Almost makes me wonder if they sent the wrong pads for that event in August
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I'm seeing conflicting information on this - I assume that even if there is a difference - that it is minimal - and both pads perform almost the same.

However - anyone who can shed light on any differences would be appreciated,
They are the same. RS29 is the current name for that pad. Some pads are still shipping in the old boxes and showing RS29 but some are shipping under the new packaging with RSL29 on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:00 AM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, just did my first event with PF08 on my F82, what a difference. The braking is so much more confidence inspiring and they barely showed any sign of wear. That's how I remember the RS29 being. PF08 it is as of now, I won't be going back to RSL29

Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      06-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, just did my first event with PF08 on my F82, what a difference. The braking is so much more confidence inspiring and they barely showed any sign of wear. That's how I remember the RS29 being. PF08 it is as of now, I won't be going back to RSL29
Funny you say that - I have done two events this month on the PFC 08's and had the same experience. Once I heard about the RSL29's coming apart on track I was immediately done with those - braking is an area I will never sacrifice even in the tiniest amount from a safety standpoint... Thank God there are options out there!
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50