GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #89
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta1 View Post
I find flooring it in mdm is good enough. I gave up
Are you getting the checkered flag with the "Launch Control Active" when you try it?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #90
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Also, tried it for the first time yesterday. Even with 305's on I laid down about 3 car lengths worth of rubber in 1st. 2nd chirped as did 3rd but overall it took off very straight and linear.

Stabbing the pedal with DSC off, no LC and even with my 305's, still caused a flurry of tire smoke and struggle keeping it straight.

It obviously definitely helps with where you are launching. Watching the guy that ran the 11.66 stock at Atco, he doesn't peel out at all. Granted he warmed up his tires, I did not, but that track must be pretty sticky.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #91
marcussoori
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe Sakhir Orange

http://m.autoevolution.com/how-to-us...ion-74779.html

Those who are telling you to turn off DSC completely and smash the accelerator pedal are using the "burnout" function, NOT launch control.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #92
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Launch Control Frustrations!!!!!

Call me stupid call me dump, call me simple call me a fcking moron but I cannot get LC to work!!!!

My F82 had its "1,200 mile" service on monday just gone, except it had only done 1,100 miles. No big deal.

So after drumming it into the service tech before and after requesting that they don't forget to activate Launch Control they confirmed, several times that it was all active!

Roll on to last night and today and I have tried to Launch the care about 10 times now, it won't do it!!!

I've read the manual a million times in paper back and on the iDrive and as far as I'm aware this is the procedure and this is what I do.

1. Make sure car is driven for minimum 3 mile and the car is up to temp
2. Stop car
3. DCT fully OFF
4. Foot on brake (hard)
5. Gear in S3
6. Foot on accelerator
7. AAANNNDDDDDDD nothing!!! All the car tries to do is drag is ass up the road whilst I'm riding the brake! Sounds terrible etc.

No flag, no anything.

So I had thought it was maybe because regardless of the miles at service the miles had to be over the 1,2000 mile threshold...? But I have now ticked over 1,250miles and the car still wont Launch!!!!

Any ideas???

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #93
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Try driving the car more than three miles and giving it a shot. Some have reported that the car must really be warmed up to execute LC. I experienced the same dilemma with the car dragging and that horrible noise.

If memory serves me right, the car should be in sequential mode set to s3 and DSC and MDM fully off. This involves pressing and holding the MDM button until you see the amber "off" notification with skid marks on the gauge cluster. I made the mistake of only turning MDM off and trying to use LC. Once I set it fully off, followed the brake and full throttle procedure, I got the checkered flag. I still haven't launched the car but wanted to check that it was functioning- when everything was set up right, it worked and this was after a thirty minute drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #94
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
If you don't see the flag... don't do anything! U might be damaging something.

Are all settings in S+ (not just tranny)? Did you hit the kickdown button when you put your foot down? And also make sure you are at operating temp.

You should see the flag and the revs should hold at 3k. If not, don't launch jut keep the brake pressed and let off the throttle.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #95
A1PericoM3
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: F80 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuka
Call me stupid call me dump, call me simple call me a fcking moron but I cannot get LC to work!!!!

My F82 had its "1,200 mile" service on monday just gone, except it had only done 1,100 miles. No big deal.

So after drumming it into the service tech before and after requesting that they don't forget to activate Launch Control they confirmed, several times that it was all active!

Roll on to last night and today and I have tried to Launch the care about 10 times now, it won't do it!!!

I've read the manual a million times in paper back and on the iDrive and as far as I'm aware this is the procedure and this is what I do.

1. Make sure car is driven for minimum 3 mile and the car is up to temp
2. Stop car
3. DCT fully OFF
4. Foot on brake (hard)
5. Gear in S3
6. Foot on accelerator
7. AAANNNDDDDDDD nothing!!! All the car tries to do is drag is ass up the road whilst I'm riding the brake! Sounds terrible etc.

No flag, no anything.

So I had thought it was maybe because regardless of the miles at service the miles had to be over the 1,2000 mile threshold...? But I have now ticked over 1,250miles and the car still wont Launch!!!!

Any ideas???

Thanks
Best thing to to so there no confusion, is to set your M1 or M2 button for dragstrip. Here is how I have mine and this way when you get to the track you only have to worry about holding the brake and depress the throttle fast and hard.

DSC: off
DCT: S3
Steering: sport plus (not important)
Suspension: comfort (very important)

LC will work EVERYTIME if you follow these steps.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #96
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rmanM3 View Post
Best thing to to so there no confusion, is to set your M1 or M2 button for dragstrip. Here is how I have mine and this way when you get to the track you only have to worry about holding the brake and depress the throttle fast and hard.

Not sure about other settings but throttle should be s+

And i repeat, do not actually launch the car unless u see the flag icon. otherwise let off the throttle (stay on the brake) and try again.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #97
A1PericoM3
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: F80 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rmanM3 View Post

Not sure about other settings but throttle should be s+

And i repeat, do not actually launch the car unless u see the flag icon. otherwise let off the throttle (stay on the brake) and try again.
Sorry left out the throttle part but must have that s+ as you stated
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #98
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the responses all.

Strange, the manual doesn't say you have to have the car in any Sport+ settings....

All it says is DSC OFF. S3 depress brake, depress accelerator, see flag, revs hold and boom.

Coming from a previous car with LC I know the feeling and how the car should react and this is just not happening. The revs should hold freely at 3k ish and not try and drag the car through my braking foot. At present as the revs raise anything over 1k the car try's to creep and drag itself thus i cannot rev any further and I let of the accelerator completely....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #99
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep

Here is a video I made earlier showing the procedure (as I know it) and the symptoms of whats happening.....

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #100
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuka View Post
Here is a video I made earlier showing the procedure (as I know it) and the symptoms of whats happening.....

your throttle is at comfort!!!!!!! ...but you're at optimal temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #101
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Even if the car hasn't properly warmed up, it will still show the flag and semi-activate launch control. But instead of actually launching you, you'll feel the "bang", but it won't go more than a few feet.

Just make sure you're in MDM & DSC off, S3, and Sport+ in everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #102
hdekerme
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Make sure you mash the throttle while you have your left foot on the brake!!!! Even after you have all the settings correct, if you don't press the throttle all the way down very quickly, it's not going to engage launch control.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #103
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

While the car is off. Press down on the throttle! When fully pressed down! There's a click! Throttle must be fully pressed to the click. Make sure your throttle is sport plus too. It's on efficient in the video
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #104
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

What I don't like about this whole launch control thing is that you have no idea it's working until you get up to the line (at a drag track) unless you want to try it out in a line of other closely parked cars. Then it seemed to take a second to get the flag to pop up which depending on how soon you or the other guy gets lined up, you might not have enough time to wait for that.

The onboard operator's manual says to drive 6 miles of uninterrupted driving, the sequential gearbox set for S3, and DSC off. It doesn't say anything about the other settings (throttle, suspension, steering). I don't see why it's not, and I'm sure it really is, reliant on an operating temperature. Then even though you're in manual mode, the car will bang through the gears for you without intervention. Just mash the gas and go. What I also realized is that if there is too much tire slip in the launch control, the launch control will give up and leave you hanging hitting the redline in 1st or 2nd gear in launch uncontrolled mode (Jeremy Clarkson saw this in the M6 Gran Coupe).

These are all in my first impressions of using launch control. I'll wait until the Spring to try it again.
      02-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #105
GTR>M3
Rep
Drives: M3 MW

YOU NEED Press the M2 bottom on your steering wheels first
preset the M2 setting all sport plus on idrive
and hold the DSC until its off
left foot on the brake firm , HIT the gas hard

Done !

Did 3 launch today but tbh F8x launch control sucks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:02 AM   #106
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Not positive, but you're supposed to also move the gear lever forward and hold it there until the flag appears.

It doesn't look like you did that step.

EDIT: This is the procedure for the F10/12 M cars and previous M's. Not 100% sure F8X is same.

You can have the settings for LC without having to save them to the M1/M2 Mdrive
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:04 AM   #107
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all. I will try again.

Correct I wasn't in Sport+... but this is because the LC sequence as per the manual does not say it needs to be in Sport+...

Also, whilst watching this video this M4 manages to launch without Sport+ engaged....

********* Dear BMW,

Here's a thought, since you have button for every other parameter why not add a dedicated LC button. This LC button would set the car up as required for a successful Launch and maybe even show you a confirmation "Launch Ready" or "LC Active" on the dash.

Yours Sincerely
Mr far too practical.

Launch video;
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:04 AM   #108
GTR>M3
Rep
Drives: M3 MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
You're supposed to also move the gear lever forward and hold it there until the flag appears.

I didn't hold the gear lever, once I hit the gas the flag came on
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #109
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
You're supposed to also move the gear lever forward and hold it there until the flag appears.

You can have the settings for LC without having to save them to the M1/M2 Mdrive
No your not. This is part of the procedure for the old e9X not the f8x.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:10 AM   #110
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuka View Post
No your not. This is part of the procedure for the old e9X not the f8x.
Corrected, Thank You. I read BMW's internal stuff and it does not mention the Moving the lever like prior models. Funny that the F10/12 still do it the old way like the E9X.

LC isn't very good so I've stopped bothering to try for myself on the F80.
Appreciate 0