Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #1
iDriftYou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP 6 Speed

SCH, Car idles fine, bent valves?

So I recently spun my CH, got the car towed to a shop to get the upgrade done, the car started and idled fine, not even a rough idle, but I got a call today saying that cylinder 2, 4 and 6 all have 80% leak in compression after they did a leak down test. I was under the impression that if the hub spins but the car idles fine, odds are your valves were untouched. Anyone run into this scenario here? Just want to be sure before I drop the money for a valve job.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

This hasn't happened to me due to SCH, but your engine should continue to drive fine even if it fails a leak down test at >80%. I've been running on 2 cylinders with a 90% leak down failure in Cyl 1, 3, 5, 6 but the car still pulls hard at 20 psi boost on E85.

The turbos will work a little harder (high WGDC) until you get the cylinder head serviced. But to answer your question, results will always vary when it comes to the extent of damage with SCH.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
iDriftYou
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
This hasn't happened to me due to SCH, but your engine should continue to drive fine even if it fails a leak down test at >80%. I've been running on 2 cylinders with a 90% leak down failure in Cyl 1, 3, 5, 6 but the car still pulls hard at 20 psi boost on E85.

The turbos will work a little harder (high WGDC) until you get the cylinder head serviced. But to answer your question, results will always vary when it comes to the extent of damage with SCH.
Thanks for the info, I didn't drive the car hard after the DTM came on, my buddy spun his on a money shift, his car would not start at all but his valves were untouched.
Appreciate 0