Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Tesla Model 3 Performance on Track

Just curious to get people's thoughts - not just on lap times - but also ability to add upgraded brakes, suspension - how many sessions before needing recharge, reliability/durability, tendencies to overheat (or any other metrics vs M3/M4 or other ICE cars on track...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Geez3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I need a full tank to come close to finishing a full session day. No idea what you would do with a Tesla and no rapid charge station anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

There are a ton of them that run at Laguna Seca and seem to have a good time. They just do 3-4 sessions instead of 4-5 from what I remember on the days they were out there. They can put down good times too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
There are a ton of them that run at Laguna Seca and seem to have a good time. They just do 3-4 sessions instead of 4-5 from what I remember on the days they were out there. They can put down good times too.
Any idea as to what extent the Tesla crowd at Leguna Seca mods their cars (brakes, suspension or otherwise)?

There is no doubt that purely electric cars will eventually not only dominate ICE in straight line performance - but also in terms of track time, available mods, reliability/durability, etc. - but that day has not happened yet (stated differently - I'm just curious as to how long it will be until an all electric sedan that is roughly the same size, cost and practicality of an M3, C63, QF, ATS-V, etc. will be able to do just as many sessions on the track on a given day/weekend and be just as quick or quicker around the track (assuming equal drivers on the same day/same conditions) while simultaneously being just as mechanically reliable - not overheating, burning up brake pads, throwing fault codes, etc)...

Just to be clear - I have no doubt that that WILL happen - the only question in my mind is how close are we getting?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I had a fellow instructor run a M3P at CMP this summer. He said he could only do 3-4 hot laps before the car was significantly down on power. Luckily, CMP has a charging station which allowed to charge it up between sessions and allow him to do all sessions for the 3-day event. He was decently quick for the first few laps, but when he was down on power, he just could not maintain the pace in the instructor run group. I think we are just one generation away from EVs being fully track ready and capable, but they’re not quite there yet.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I had a fellow instructor run a M3P at CMP this summer. He said he could only do 3-4 hot laps before the car was significantly down on power. Luckily, CMP has a charging station which allowed to charge it up between sessions and allow him to do all sessions for the 3-day event. He was decently quick for the first few laps, but when he was down on power, he just could not maintain the pace in the instructor run group. I think we are just one generation away from EVs being fully track ready and capable, but they’re not quite there yet.
And once that happens - M, AMG, Audi RS, etc. are probably going to have to at least offer a fully electric track ready car (maybe simultaneously offer an ICE version as well who do not want to go electric).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Any idea as to what extent the Tesla crowd at Leguna Seca mods their cars (brakes, suspension or otherwise)?

There is no doubt that purely electric cars will eventually not only dominate ICE in straight line performance - but also in terms of track time, available mods, reliability/durability, etc. - but that day has not happened yet (stated differently - I'm just curious as to how long it will be until an all electric sedan that is roughly the same size, cost and practicality of an M3, C63, QF, ATS-V, etc. will be able to do just as many sessions on the track on a given day/weekend and be just as quick or quicker around the track (assuming equal drivers on the same day/same conditions) while simultaneously being just as mechanically reliable - not overheating, burning up brake pads, throwing fault codes, etc)...

Just to be clear - I have no doubt that that WILL happen - the only question in my mind is how close are we getting?
I did a full 4x20 minute day in my Model 3P at Sonoma last year when my SM was being repaired from a big off. Car used up over 1kwh per mile on track. I used a L2 charger on track and left at lunch to use a Tesla supercharger, and supercharged again on the way home.

The car does output less power as the battery state of charge declines. There’s reduction starting at 75% if I recall correctly. That will happen after about 15kwh are used assuming you charge to 95% , or about 5 laps of a 2.5mi track

You can put 275 wide square setup of Re71r, there’s custom kW v3 coilovers and suspension arms to give more camber and finer toe adjustments, and track oriented brake compounds.

So it’s already here. I had a lot of fun, didn’t miss track time and car had no issues (other than the inherent issue of being a 4000lb car on 235 width commuter tires (PS4S))
Appreciate 0