R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #881
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
for the frugal, we buy prowned, so getting LCI/ZCP when it comes out makes no financial sense. At this point, I won't get a ZCP/LCI car until at least 2019-2020.
I won't argue the math you (even though it's extremely tempting ), but if you wait to buy prowned, wouldn't you be on a cycle of 3-4 years after release anyway? i.e., there's no fretting because you need to wait 3 years anyway and by that time you'd know if proton-fission headlights were coming out and then you could wait another 3 years if you wanted them.

It's not a big deal but I'm just trying to figure out who's in the dark about auto manufacturers adding new features every 2-3 years ... it's 50% of the posts (NOTE: estimate only) and we're constantly seeing these don't-get-screwed / you-got-screwed / you're-jealous posts.

EDIT: and any jealously I have is for how the E9x sounds

Quote:
Just ask how special those who bought the Frozen Gray or Lime Rock Edition M3s feel today when anyone can special order a fire orange or frozen color.
There's some thinking here I'm just not getting.

I have moonstone, which you can't order standard anymore. I love it. If someone else special orders moonstone I still love mine - even more - AND I love theirs too because it's like mine. We're all special.

It's all about love, man.

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-29-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #882
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDIVISION View Post
For wheels i dont need reviews. Just look at them
The seats dont work for me either
You do realize you can put whichever wheels you'd like on the car, right? Swap on a set of 437M's if that's what you desire. Seems silly to forego what multiple reviewers have called a transformative performance package that offers solid value for what it provides all because you don't like the wheels. Admittedly, if the seats are that big of a deal too then those are a bit harder to swap.
      02-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #883
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks great for sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #884
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocans View Post
You do realize you can put whichever wheels you'd like on the car, right? Swap on a set of 437M's if that's what you desire. Seems silly to forego what multiple reviewers have called a transformative performance package that offers solid value for what it provides all because you don't like the wheels. Admittedly, if the seats are that big of a deal too then those are a bit harder to swap.
I put wider tires on my M4 and it made a very noticeable improvement in terms of grip and handling . Those reviews need to be taken with a grain of slat. I'll wait till I test drive one to judge.

I am sure the CP does improve the overall M3/4 experience, but not all of us find the price reasonable for a package that is a combination of hits and misses for some.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #885
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Few reviews say that re a comparison to the E92 (a step back, good grief), but Chris Harris has declared the F80 on a different level. Having tracked my E92 extensively, and my F80 sparingly, I have to agree. The F80 moved the game on considerably on and off the track. Will the ZCP improve it? Sure, but I doubt I'll go as far as to say transformative when I get seat time. If that's not the case then I'll report it here and trade in.
Agreed. I'm trying to stay level headed about ZCP because I'm wondering how these changes can make the car THAT much better.

But then also consider how far the competition has come along, so it makes sense that BMW would really put in the man hours for Comp Pack.

I look forward to test driving one though. I was actually leaning towards a passive system too.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #886
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I put wider tires on my M4 and it made a very noticeable improvement in terms of grip and handling . Those reviews need to be taken with a grain of slat. I'll wait till I test drive one to judge.

I am sure the CP does improve the overall M3/4 experience, but not all of us find the price reasonable for a package that is a combination of hits and misses for some.
Fair point, though the primary "miss" most people cite, the wheels, also happens to be one of the easiest parts of the car to change. I would think those considering ordering a new car would at the very least read the reviews and balance the pro's and con's to determine if the package is worth it to them. I think it's strange that someone would simply say "ugly wheels...pass" when the ZCP offers considerably more than that. But then again, I'm not about to tell someone how to spend their money.
      02-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #887
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I won't argue the math you (even though it's extremely tempting ), but if you wait to buy prowned, wouldn't you be on a cycle of 3-4 years after release anyway? i.e., there's no fretting because you need to wait 3 years anyway and by that time you'd know if proton-fission headlights were coming out and then you could wait another 3 years if you wanted them.

It's not a big deal but I'm just trying to figure out who's in the dark about auto manufacturers adding new features every 2-3 years ... it's 50% of the posts (NOTE: estimate only) and we're constantly seeing these don't-get-screwed / you-got-screwed / you're-jealous posts.

EDIT: and any jealously I have is for how the E9x sounds

There's some thinking here I'm just not getting.

I have moonstone, which you can't order standard anymore. I love it. If someone else special orders moonstone I still love mine - even more - AND I love theirs too because it's like mine. We're all special.

It's all about love, man.

To your point about jealousy, agreed. It's all about being content with what you have. That's where the term "civic M3" came to being. Someone wrote an excellent thread back in 2012 about how worthless a non-ZCP M3 is compared to a ZCP car at that time, which was all the rage. The point is, you still have an M3. You'll go broke trying to keep up with all the new features that's being crammed in every year to drum up new sales. Otherwise, people would always look to buy the outgoing MY.

Now for the F80, there's some significant value added for ZCP, namely suspension and power upgrades. IMO, they're worth the $5k spent (I mean, you already spent $70k, what's an extra $5k?)

That's correct, if you buy preowned, and want LCI EVERY TIME, then you too would be on a 3-4 year cycle as well, but those who buy preowned in this manner will still save money from the initial depreciation regardless if they upgrade every 4 years.

The depreciation curve is the strongest at years 1-3 of a new car. Some luxury cars will lose almost 50% of it's initial price in that time period. So by being on a preowned cycle, you'll still save money.

That's what I did with both my X5 and M3.

I bought my 08 M3 in 2010, granted before LCI and ZCP, but I purchased it with 8000 miles on it for $46k, off of a $67k sticker. Today, it's worth about $30k. So in my 6 years ownership, it cost me $16k in depreciation. The initial owner ate $20k in 2 years of ownership to be the first kid on the block to own a E90 M3 for 8000 miles. I'm cool with that.

I bought my 12 X5 LCI in 2015, with CPO for $38k, off of a $66k sticker. Today, it's worth about $32k. in my 1 year of ownership, I ate about $6k depreciation, whereas the original owner ate about $30k in 3 years, or $10k/year. Again, thanks original owner!

Even if I'm on the same cycle and wait until 2020 to buy a LCI M3 and X5, I'm still saving the difference between sticker and preowned depreciation rates. It's nice, if you don't mind driving preowned. For the M3, it's fantastic, b/c generally, it's very well taken care of. I know, those who MUST have new or MUST have it the day of release won't be convinced, but hey, my money doesn't grow on trees.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 02-29-2016 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #888
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You mean since 2001
yeah, forgot about the E46 M3. What year did they release LED tail lights and ZCP, 2005?

What drives me nuts is, why would BMW release LED lights for E46 M3 at the end of the life cycle, and then wait until 2010 to LED the new E9X M3. I mean, screw the early adopters there....it's not like they didn't KNOW ANYTHING about wanting to install LED lights on the new generation car. What a racket.

Watch the next gen M3 won't have laser lights, when the F80 will conclude with laser lights, and then BAM! 3 years later, laser lights on next gen's LCI upgrade.
      02-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #889
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Comp Package...M marketing at its finest.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #890
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

hmm you think so?

I know this was true with the E9X M3, the ZCP added no tangible performance gains and was basically an appearnce package. But an HP bump and more suspension tweaks surely will add some tangible gains on the F8X M?

Oh well, it's all speculation until actual numbers and tests comes in from other sources.
      02-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #891
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
yeah, forgot about the E46 M3. What year did they release LED tail lights and ZCP, 2005?

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #892
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Agreed. I'm trying to stay level headed about ZCP because I'm wondering how these changes can make the car THAT much better.

But then also consider how far the competition has come along, so it makes sense that BMW would really put in the man hours for Comp Pack.

I look forward to test driving one though. I was actually leaning towards a passive system too.
BMW can't afford to do another "appearnce package" on the ZCP this time around. The car was the best in class back in E46 and E92 days, so an appearnce package was a slam dunk, but these days, the competition is much closer, so they have to make a tangible changes to the car.
      02-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #893
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I'll wait until you test drive one before I judge as well

Quote:
The depreciation curve is the strongest at years 1-3 of a new car. Some luxury cars will lose almost 50% of it's initial price in that time period. So by being on a preowned cycle, you'll still save money.
You probably ran through all of this, but the whole concept of depreciation assumes you're purchasing a physical asset and looking to "save money" on that the acquisition of that asset.

For example, you might buy a used web server for your website and "save money" over new. However that server comes with other costs like risk, administrative costs, maintenance costs, etc. Once you factor in those costs, you might be better off buying the capabilities of the server versus the physical server itself.

When you buy a capability, of course don't care about depreciation because you're not buying the physical asset, you're buying the guaranteed sole-use rights for one month and rolling in all admin and risk costs. In that case you find the lowest per-month all-in price for a similar capability. In this case, the M3/M4 is completely that (assuming you don't want a jag).

At the end of the day, though, it's all about what you can sneak past your wife.
Appreciate 3
      02-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #894
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

You can build on the bmwusa.com site now. The Competition Package description doesnt mention anything related to exhaust.

Last edited by devilbones; 02-29-2016 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #895
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
You can build on the bmwusa.com site now. The Competition Package description doesnt mention anything related to exhaust.
Seats are not correct on the interior shots.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #896
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I like it, I just can't drive around in 20s because I'll likely pop those tires, all the other stuff I dig. I even now like the wheel's design in silver, it's grown on me.

Ultimately, if you're not going to mod the car and you want something a lil' sharper and your cool with the ride height, it's a good deal. However, if you're going to lower it, mess with the suspension, get new wheels, and put a tune in then it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense for $5.5k...I guess the last ZCP was an easier, less polarizing decision, because the ZCP upcharge was a lot less than $5.5k and pretty much everyone loved those wheels, so it was an easy decision to make simply for the wheels.

But come on' BMW, wtf on the 444hp, you could of done people a solid and at least made it 450! wuss!

Last edited by S65V8; 02-29-2016 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #897
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

hmm you think so?

I know this was true with the E9X M3, the ZCP added no tangible performance gains and was basically an appearnce package. But an HP bump and more suspension tweaks surely will add some tangible gains on the F8X M?

Oh well, it's all speculation until actual numbers and tests comes in from other sources.
Re-read my post, you might have mis-read .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #898
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Seats are not correct on the interior shots.
I emailed the webmaster about this lack of attention to detail. I have asked the director of IT for BMW USA be made aware of these deliberate acts to leave out details.
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #899
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Wheels looks nice on SO M3. Bitch to clean but not gawdly most making it out to be. Regardless though I would rather have the silver 19" because of the ride quality. The one thing I truly don't like about the ZCP is the black chrome parts. I'm in the few camp that likes the original bits and would probably over to trade them with someone on forums.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #900
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Sorry if this is old news but just noticed you can now specify Competition Package on BMW USA site when building M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #901
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My M3 build is $76,970.

My M3 Competition Package build is $3300 more at $80,270. I'd always equip M Performance Black Kidney grills ($360) and fender grills ($75) so my Comp Package is really $2865.
      02-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #902
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
I emailed the webmaster about this lack of attention to detail. I have asked the director of IT for BMW USA be made aware of these deliberate acts to leave out details.

Seems reasonable.

You should get a free 2 day M school for notifying them.

Lazy bastards.
Appreciate 1