EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #155
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykayo View Post
I know this is kind of an old thread but just wanted to share my settings and methodology.

I used a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone and used REW to do the measurements. I did a few sweep tests with the settings on the car set to 0 and Logic7 turned off. I then used the AutoEQ function in REW to create a correction profile. I then applied that to a MiniDSP (basically a mini computer that does digital signal processing.)

One difference between my settings and Lincoln30's is that I created a correction profile set to a "house curve", specifically the Harman curve. Double-blind tests by Harman and B&K have shown that (some/many/most?) people prefer a slightly increased bass response and a slight treble roll-off as opposed to a completely flat response. If that appeals to you, you may like my settings. I find that flat is not ideal for me especially considering the music has to fight with engine noise, road noise etc. My settings actually weren't too different from the ones Lincoln30 posted as his #2 setting, so that was good. My measurements showed the same issues that Lincoln30 stated were "unfixable" without some hardware upgrades. I completely agree.

After I had the correction profile applied to the MiniDSP, I ran some pink noise through the system and took another measurement and used that as a reference. I set REW to 1/1 Octave because that is all the refinement our BMW's EQ will allow. Then I ran pink noise without any DSP corrections and instead tried to match my reference measurements only using the M3's EQ adjustments.

Here are my settings:
Treble: 0
Bass: 0
Logic7: off
100hz: -2
200hz: -3
500hz: +2
1khz: 0
2khz: 0
5khz: 0
10khz: +1

I've attached my frequency response measurements from REW.

Blue line: EQ settings flat (stock settings) logic7 off
Green line: Correction profile created by REW AutoEQ applied to MiniDSP
Gold line: EQ settings on the car (as closely matched as possible) to REW's AutoEQ settings on MiniDSP

Update: After analyzing the stock settings, it looks like they closely follow the Harman/JBL house curve (it is a Harman Kardon system). It looks like what they've done is boost the lower frequencies (from about 300hz down to 50hz) possibly to account for road and engine noise. Just a thought. These guys might not be so thoughtless after all. I've come to this conclusion because after making the initial adjustments while parked, the system sounded awesome. When I started driving, I felt like the bass was being drowned out by noise. I looked back at the graph to see what I adjustments I should make to the low end. Oh wow, they already thought about that. Darn you BMW! :-)
Great post

Tried the settings earlier and they work very well - however, the bass is set a tad high for my ears since I listen to music a little on the louder side.

Do you have suggestions for settings if i wanted to lower the bass curve a little, while still maintaining the integrity of the above settings as a whole?
      03-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #156
joeykayo
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White F80 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Great post

Tried the settings earlier and they work very well - however, the bass is set a tad high for my ears since I listen to music a little on the louder side.

Do you have suggestions for settings if i wanted to lower the bass curve a little, while still maintaining the integrity of the above settings as a whole?
Have you already tried the settings by Linocoln30? His is settings are calibrated for a flat target response whereas mine are purposely tuned to a Harman curve which calls for increased bass.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #157
ihg90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Coding Sound Settings Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
so code it
haven't seen the coding for that - is it posted?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #158
Zomboss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you for the analysis! After just reading the entire thread, my conclusion based on your finding is that the stock EQ settings are already well tuned, not for a flat FR curve but for a pleasant sound experience to compensate for engine and road noise while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykayo View Post
I know this is kind of an old thread but just wanted to share my settings and methodology.

I used a UMIK-1 calibrated microphone and used REW to do the measurements. I did a few sweep tests with the settings on the car set to 0 and Logic7 turned off. I then used the AutoEQ function in REW to create a correction profile. I then applied that to a MiniDSP (basically a mini computer that does digital signal processing.)

One difference between my settings and Lincoln30's is that I created a correction profile set to a "house curve", specifically the Harman curve. Double-blind tests by Harman and B&K have shown that (some/many/most?) people prefer a slightly increased bass response and a slight treble roll-off as opposed to a completely flat response. If that appeals to you, you may like my settings. I find that flat is not ideal for me especially considering the music has to fight with engine noise, road noise etc. My settings actually weren't too different from the ones Lincoln30 posted as his #2 setting, so that was good. My measurements showed the same issues that Lincoln30 stated were "unfixable" without some hardware upgrades. I completely agree.

After I had the correction profile applied to the MiniDSP, I ran some pink noise through the system and took another measurement and used that as a reference. I set REW to 1/1 Octave because that is all the refinement our BMW's EQ will allow. Then I ran pink noise without any DSP corrections and instead tried to match my reference measurements only using the M3's EQ adjustments.

Here are my settings:
Treble: 0
Bass: 0
Logic7: off
100hz: -2
200hz: -3
500hz: +2
1khz: 0
2khz: 0
5khz: 0
10khz: +1

I've attached my frequency response measurements from REW.

Blue line: EQ settings flat (stock settings) logic7 off
Green line: Correction profile created by REW AutoEQ applied to MiniDSP
Gold line: EQ settings on the car (as closely matched as possible) to REW's AutoEQ settings on MiniDSP

Update: After analyzing the stock settings, it looks like they closely follow the Harman/JBL house curve (it is a Harman Kardon system). It looks like what they've done is boost the lower frequencies (from about 300hz down to 50hz) possibly to account for road and engine noise. Just a thought. These guys might not be so thoughtless after all. I've come to this conclusion because after making the initial adjustments while parked, the system sounded awesome. When I started driving, I felt like the bass was being drowned out by noise. I looked back at the graph to see what I adjustments I should make to the low end. Oh wow, they already thought about that. Darn you BMW! :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 03:11 AM   #159
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehinder View Post
I gotta believe it's stock. They were paid to engineer a high end system out of the box.
If you’ve ever had a truly high quality stereo in a car, you’ll know NO car manufacturer puts them in.
Appreciate 3
minn1914028.50
      06-15-2018, 07:33 AM   #160
Workaholic
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp xDrive 2024

Can somebody post some updates with M4/M3 systems from 2017 and higher? My new M4 sounds different compared to my previous M4 from 2015. Both equiped with HK and set to standard/stock audio settings.

Also the settings posted in this thread are now different due to use of a different graphical view. See image examples below (not mine btw - from google)

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #161
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 MW E92 M3

^ Same here... It's decent but I feel the EQ settings can bring in a tad more clarity and low end.

I may look into BAV sounds options soon
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #162
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

The 2017-18 cars do sounds different. It was the first thing I noticed when switching from the 2016. I say there is not right or wrong eq settings. Just tweak to to your taste. The system just sounds better (Fuller) overall. I applied the B&O EQ and liked that alot as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:37 PM   #163
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
The 2017-18 cars do sounds different. It was the first thing I noticed when switching from the 2016. I say there is not right or wrong eq settings. Just tweak to to your taste. The system just sounds better (Fuller) overall. I applied the B&O EQ and liked that alot as well.

Can you post your B&O Eq settings or at least a link here if you do not mind?
I am keen to try on my 2017 ZCP M3.

Thanks!

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:40 PM   #164
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Can you post your B&O Eq settings or at least a link here if you do not mind?
I am keen to try on my 2017 ZCP M3.

Thanks!
It requires software coding to activate the option. Check the coding section for more info.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #165
Workaholic
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp xDrive 2024

Hi, can this be done by Carly by any chance instead of manual coding?

Besides this B&O coding:

Anybody have some recent photo's from the Equalizer settings in 2017+ M3/M4 models? I'm not happy with the sound and I also drive a 2017 3 series with hifi (not harmon kardon) and this sounds much better (doesn't have EQ setting option so can't copy)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #166
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Hi, can this be done by Carly by any chance instead of manual coding?
No
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #167
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Can somebody post some updates with M4/M3 systems from 2017 and higher? My new M4 sounds different compared to my previous M4 from 2015. Both equiped with HK and set to standard/stock audio settings.

Also the settings posted in this thread are now different due to use of a different graphical view. See image examples below (not mine btw - from google)

Thanks for your help!
Bumping this thread. Just picked up my 2018 and would love some updated/current equalizer settings if anyone has. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #168
TheOtherOne
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335XI

I'm curious about this too. I tried all of the suggestions and it still sounds like shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
Bumping this thread. Just picked up my 2018 and would love some updated/current equalizer settings if anyone has. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #169
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW updated the HK system on MY2017 and probably again on 2018s so the settings here aren't relevant to your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #170
Rxpert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6 Speed Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
BMW updated the HK system on MY2017 and probably again on 2018s so the settings here aren't relevant to your car.
.....lol......that's exactly why I was asking if anyone had any updated settings for MY2018 cars haha
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2045.00
      08-24-2018, 02:17 AM   #171
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
.....lol......that's exactly why I was asking if anyone had any updated settings for MY2018 cars haha

Am also keenly looking for anyone with the updated settings for the new MY2018 cars...

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 12:14 AM   #172
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

Anyone managed to find golden settings for the new idrive system? Keen to try it out if anyone has.

Thanks!

Appreciate 1
DEANMW167.50
      09-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #173
thermalc
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

Bump...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #174
wasabii
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Alpine White

I just got a 2018 F80 ZCP and the stereo sounds horrible.

I listen to the radio a lot and playing music over it is way too low. You cannot really make out the words in the song and the bass is lacking hard. Then when you do increase the volume, certain sounds in the songs sound really high pitched and static like which sounds atrocious.

I haven't touched the EQ settings because I have no idea what any of the settings do, but I feel like I shouldn't need to.

For such an expensive car, I cannot believe my Altima's stereo beats this car's stereo by a long shot.

If anyone has EQ settings or tips of any kind, I would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #175
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1329316

Bass flat
Treble +1
100 +7
200 -6
500 -4
1k +5
2k -4
5k +2
10k -1

Tried it and it is not too bad. Though I had to crank the bass up by 2 as I felt it was lacking. I am mostly EDM and Trance. A noticeable difference.
Though I would love for someone to post their own settings based on my music genre listening...Predominantly listening on Spotify which are downloaded in max quality to my phone streamed over Bluetooth.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #176
Colomba
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinghostrider View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1329316

Bass flat
Treble +1
100 +7
200 -6
500 -4
1k +5
2k -4
5k +2
10k -1

Tried it and it is not too bad. Though I had to crank the bass up by 2 as I felt it was lacking. I am mostly EDM and Trance. A noticeable difference.
Though I would love for someone to post their own settings based on my music genre listening...Predominantly listening on Spotify which are downloaded in max quality to my phone streamed over Bluetooth.
Hi,

Is this for 2018 cars?
Appreciate 0