GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

05-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
bioman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

First Track event prep in GTS

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Heading out to the track in a few weeks and going to drive the car completely stock to get a feel for it.

Does it make switch out the brake fluid?
Getting the alignment checked, but is it a waste to keep everything to the street setting, max negative front camber and track aero?

Anything else Iím missing?
I know folks have said front camber plates, harness and a few other things are a must, but thinking of that for later track days.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
Day Laborer
Major
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F82 M4 GTS/ G01 X3M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
Heading out to the track in a few weeks and going to drive the car completely stock to get a feel for it.

Does it make switch out the brake fluid?
Getting the alignment checked, but is it a waste to keep everything to the street setting, max negative front camber and track aero?

Anything else I’m missing?
I know folks have said front camber plates, harness and a few other things are a must, but thinking of that for later track days.

Thanks!
Brake fluid as a precaution if there will be heavy braking.

Most importantly is being few gallons of distilled water lol
      05-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #3
Gomeler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Is this your first track day?

edit: assuming it is, just bring distilled water for the car, buy gasoline at the track or at a nearby gas station, and drink a ton of Gatorade and water while you're out at the track. I wouldn't bother with the alignment, there is limited/no adjustment on the GTS stock. The brake fluid is a good advisement if you're over a year on flushing, water builds in the fluid and lowers the boiling point, and the CCB calipers on the GTS get stupid hot.

Otherwise a tire pressure gauge is useful, you might want to bleed a little air out of your tires after your first session. I think I was running the stock Sport Cup 2s at around 34F/32R hot off the track. You are going to heavily wear the outside shoulder on your fronts, just the fact of having no adjustable camber setting. If you enjoy the track day and want to do more, maybe consider camber plates.

Otherwise have fun out there and be safe. The car really is a blast. If it is your first track day out, I'd recommend setting the traction control to MDM, the base traction control is incredibly limiting even for an absolute novice. I prefer throttle in efficient or sport, I find sport+ to be too aggressive mid-corner. Transmission in level 1 or level 2, manual or automatic. Level 3 will chirp the tires on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift, and this will cause MDM to cut power down straights as you're under full throttle. Steering is user preference, I prefer sport. Some folks say comfort gives better feedback, I haven't mucked about with that as sport works for me.

Anywho, have fun, and if you want to do more, there are a few mods you'll probably want to consider.

Last edited by Gomeler; 05-23-2021 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
4play357.50

05-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

I would do brake fluid and that's about it.

You're going to destroy the outside shoulder of your front tires if you are driving it hard. If it's not your overall first track day (just the first with the car), I would go traction control fully off. MDM is extremely intrusive.

Monitor pressures and temps while on track - you want to be >150F all around and no more than 34-35 psi or so. You will need to air down as you get heat into the tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 01:56 AM   #5
Secret Chimp
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, Lotus Exige S, 61 Mini

What track day are you signed up for? I registered for a Porsche Owners Club event in early June at Streets of Willow and noticed another M4 on the entrants list.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

brake fluid is a must to avoid any bad surprise

motul rbf 600 / rbf 660 or castrol srf
Appreciate 0