ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
ihateveggies
Private
Rep
Drives: M 4

Loss of power + 2 second delay in shifts

Hey guys so I've had my m4 w/ DCT for a little over a year now (July 2014) with just about 20,000 miles on her. She's been a blast and absolutely love it as my daily driver. Besides all the cosmetics, I bought a used MPE and it's been installed for about 3 months now. Love the sound.

Maybe about 3 weeks ago, I've noticed that the engine's been acting kinda funky. I usually drive it in Sport and I understand that when I'm downshifting in high RPMs, it gets a little jerky but now when I'm coming to a complete stop the car feels REALLY jerky. It's also noticeably more quiet in low RPMs than it was just a couple weeks ago. In low RPMs, the car is just so quiet and it just doesn't have the power/kick to it that I'm used to.

Also there are problems with the shifting. Shifting to higher gear, I feel a tiny bit of lag but not as much as when I downshift. There's about a 2 second lag when I downshift and also I could feel the engine just not being right and how it was before. Really herky-jerky as well.

I took it to the dealership for my 20k mile service and they found nothing wrong. When I received the car after the service, it felt like the car was finally back to normal so I thought the problems were happening because I needed new oil. It was GOOD. Until last night when it started doing it again.

This is KILLING ME. More than the looks or attention I receive with this car, the thing I love the most and probably most of you guys will agree, is the engine. Any suggestions guys? My SA told me to call her back if the problems I complained about pop back up again so I will be doing that but what worries me is that they couldn't find anything before.

Thanks in advance for reading guys. I love my car and it's super stressing me out right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Maybe software issue?
      01-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
ihateveggies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Maybe software issue?
That's what I initially thought but the SA told me there weren't any updates. Maybe they didn't check the software? Only checked to see if there were any new ones available?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
ihateveggies
Private
Rep

Downshift Lag and Loss of power

Hey guys so I've had my m4 w/ DCT for a little over a year now (July 2014) with just about 20,000 miles on her. She's been a blast and absolutely love it as my daily driver. Besides all the cosmetics, I bought a used MPE and it's been installed for about 3 months now. Love the sound.

Maybe about 3 weeks ago, I've noticed that the engine's been acting kinda funky. I usually drive it in Sport and I understand that when I'm downshifting in high RPMs, it gets a little jerky but now when I'm coming to a complete stop the car feels REALLY jerky. It's also noticeably more quiet in low RPMs than it was just a couple weeks ago. In low RPMs, the car is just so quiet and it just doesn't have the power/kick to it that I'm used to.

Also there are problems with the shifting. Shifting to higher gear, I feel a tiny bit of lag but not as much as when I downshift. There's about a 2 second lag when I downshift and also I could feel the engine just not being right and how it was before. Really herky-jerky as well.

I took it to the dealership for my 20k mile service and they found nothing wrong. When I received the car after the service, it felt like the car was finally back to normal so I thought the problems were happening because I needed new oil. It was GOOD. Until last night when it started doing it again.

This is KILLING ME. More than the looks or attention I receive with this car, the thing I love the most and probably most of you guys will agree, is the engine. Any suggestions guys? My SA told me to call her back if the problems I complained about pop back up again so I will be doing that but what worries me is that they couldn't find anything before.

Thanks in advance for reading guys. I love my car and it's super stressing me out right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateveggies View Post
That's what I initially thought but the SA told me there weren't any updates. Maybe they didn't check the software? Only checked to see if there were any new ones available?
When I complained about something mechanical my SA's would usually reset the software and just tell me they couldnt find anything wrong, even though it fixed the issue

I knew for a fact they would reset the ECU since all my settings were lost. Im nowhere near an expert though so Id recommend waiting to hear from someone more experienced.
      01-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
G1n Mast3r
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Individual F80 M3

I bought mine on CPO with 10K on the clock. I think I know what you're talking about but This seems pretty normal to me. I just chalked it up to the car downshifting and me braking at the same time. IE DCT IS an techinically a manual and coming from a manual before my F80 it would shutter on downshifts sometimes too. so I would chalk this up to be a normal thing. As for the shift delay I have no idea...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Kidscollege$
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW M4

Garage List
2016 Toyota  [0.00]
2016 Lexus RX350  [0.00]
2015 BMW/M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82
When you are downshifting, what shift setting are you in? S1 S2 or S3?
This...S1 takes longer to engage in down shits from what I have experienced.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 02:19 AM   #8
ihateveggies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82 View Post
When you are downshifting, what shift setting are you in? S1 S2 or S3?
S2! Most of the time, I'm on S2 and never had issues with the lag in downshifting. Everything was perfectly fine up until a couple of weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 02:20 AM   #9
ihateveggies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidscollege$ View Post
This...S1 takes longer to engage in down shits from what I have experienced.
Always on S2. Most comfortable for me and never had issues with the lag in downshifting, jerkiness of the engine and ultimately the slight loss of power..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #10
ihateveggies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1n Mast3r View Post
I bought mine on CPO with 10K on the clock. I think I know what you're talking about but This seems pretty normal to me. I just chalked it up to the car downshifting and me braking at the same time. IE DCT IS an techinically a manual and coming from a manual before my F80 it would shutter on downshifts sometimes too. so I would chalk this up to be a normal thing. As for the shift delay I have no idea...
What bothers me the most is the loss of power and the quietness in the low RPMs. The car just doesn't drive the same. The engine is just no as responsive as it once was and the shifting really irritates me. I just can't bring myself to think that this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Sounds like more of a transmission problem more than a loss of power?
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:52 AM   #12
Gigitomma89
Dr.
Italy
Rep
Drives: bmw F83 M4

Garage List
Hey guys! M4 F83, 10k miles on clock, perfectly working 'till yesterday night and now the same problems as you presented.
Lag in downshifting, when I brake at the same time it seems to make efforts to engage the 2nd or the 3rd gear downshifting.
I'm stressed out too.

Bringing it to the dealer today. Someone solved this issue?
Cheers guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:53 AM   #13
Gigitomma89
Dr.
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateveggies View Post

Hey bro, updates to the problem? Did you solved it?
Thanks a lot
Luigi
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:13 AM   #14
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

i have experienced this lag, it seems normal. it is also possible you are getting used to the torque and you are now beginning to notice the slight lag.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:55 AM   #15
Gigitomma89
Dr.
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Hey thanks for the answer!
I don't think it's normal. You can clearly notice that something's wrong. Today it started doing it then I stressed the gearbox up and downshifting repetively and now it appears back to normality again.
I will update today after work if it does this error again.
No irregularities showed on the bc by the way...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
F82TT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitomma89 View Post
Hey thanks for the answer!
I don't think it's normal. You can clearly notice that something's wrong. Today it started doing it then I stressed the gearbox up and downshifting repetively and now it appears back to normality again.
I will update today after work if it does this error again.
No irregularities showed on the bc by the way...
id say its normal.. i have a 2017 with 3k miles and it happens to me.. its when you down shift and it almost seems like a pause before power engages.. i think its just the transmission catching up to driver input.. i think the transmission tune may help with this ive been told.. my brother has a 2016 and he occasionally feels the same thing. i would not stress..
Appreciate 0