Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Only a one-year subscription to BMW Connected+?

I have a 2016 M4 with iDrive 4 and a Euro Delivery date of May 2016. My wife has a 2018 M3 CP with iDrive 6 and Euro Delivery date of July 2018.

I was on the BMW ConnectedDrive web portal and noticed that all of our services, including Automatic Map Update, BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information, Remote Services, ConnectedDrive Services, and BMW TeleService were subscribed until May 2020 for my M4 and July 2022 for her M3. In addition she has something called Connected+, which according to the BMW Connected app adds BMW Connected Onboard, My Destinations, and Navigate Door to Door. The home page for her car in the app also shows her fuel level, range, and whether the car is locked or not. Mine doesn't. But her BMW Connected+ is only subscribed until next month, so only for one year.

I clicked on the Renew button and BMW is charging $24 for the next year of Connected+ features. Apparently you can renew if you're within 3 months of expiration. This is new to me but my M4 doesn't have Connected+. Has anyone else noticed this? Did anyone with a 2018 car get a renewal notice? Did you renew or not and why or why not?

P.S. I searched for other posts but "connected+" returned every post with "connected" in the body, so impossible to search for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I have a 2018 and it's Connected+ subscription is only a year too.

Why would you want to pay for this?

Benefits at a glance:

Send my Routes to Car: Route planning from the smartphone is now simpler than ever.
Share Live Trip Status: “When will you get there?” -this question has become a thing of the past with the new function.
My Destinations: Quick access to the contents of your address book from all linked end-user devices.

I have Apple CarPlay and never even use any of the BMW 'apps'.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Looks like mine expired and I never noticed until I saw this thread and checked. I did not receive a renewal notification. I can still send destinations to my car from the app. So I don’t see what there is to pay for. Everything else looks like it expires after the lease ends.
      06-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Connected+ is like an upgraded version of Connected, think on-star. They can do things like make reservation for you, tell you turn by turn directions (by a real person), and they have something called "I am lonely" feature where you can press the button and talk to someone. I am not kidding about the last part.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Is this part of the satellite subscription? I only got 6 months satellite with my M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Looks like mine expired and I never noticed until I saw this thread and checked. I did not receive a renewal notification. I can still send destinations to my car from the app. So I don’t see what there is to pay for. Everything else looks like it expires after the lease ends.
Sending directions to the car is something that she had on her 2011 335is Coupe during the warranty period so that's been there for awhile. I think that we renewed her BMW Assist for an additional year before she was told that the car had 2G telematics and that BMW wasn't going to support that anymore, so no more directions after that. Some things that her ConnectedDrive app does with her car that mine doesn't:
  • Shows gas level and range
  • Shows whether the car is Locked or unlocked
  • If she starts driving prior to an upcoming appointment on her Google calendar, it starts the navigation to that destination automatically
  • She can send me a text message with her ETA to a location. We use Glympse so this is redundant, but with the ConnectedDrive app she doesn't have to pick the destination.

I don't know which one of these services are part of Connected+ but she likes what she has and at only $24/year on a $80K+ car it seems trivial. We'll see what happens and how much it costs to renew the services when the car starts its fifth year and all of the other services expire.

Appreciate 1
RickFLM410971.00
      06-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Connected+ is like an upgraded version of Connected, think on-star. They can do things like make reservation for you, tell you turn by turn directions (by a real person), and they have something called "I am lonely" feature where you can press the button and talk to someone. I am not kidding about the last part.
No, your thinking of the Concierge Service which is optional at $100/year. We did that for one year with her 335is Coupe. We used it a few times to make restaurant reservations and have directions sent to the car but we decided it wasn't worth it.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Sending directions to the car is something that she had on her 2011 335is Coupe during the warranty period so that's been there for awhile. I think that we renewed her BMW Assist for an additional year before she was told that the car had 2G telematics and that BMW wasn't going to support that anymore, so no more directions after that. Some things that her ConnectedDrive app does with her car that mine doesn't:
  • Shows gas level and range
  • Shows whether the car is Locked or unlocked
  • If she starts driving prior to an upcoming appointment on her Google calendar, it starts the navigation to that destination automatically
  • She can send me a text message with her ETA to a location. We use Glympse so this is redundant, but with the ConnectedDrive app she doesn't have to pick the destination.

I don't know which one of these services are part of Connected+ but she likes what she has and at only $24/year on a $80K+ car it seems trivial. We'll see what happens and how much it costs to renew the services when the car starts its fifth year and all of the other services expire.
I can still see the info from the first 2 bullets in the app. I have had the app ask me if I want directions based on my calendar, which I actually find somewhat annoying. I don’t use the ETA feature.
      06-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
Is this part of the satellite subscription? I only got 6 months satellite with my M3.
This has nothing to do with a satellite subscription, which is provided by Sirius/XM. If you bought your M3 new you should have gotten 12 months free from the date you took delivery of the car. European Delivery customers get screwed on this because it starts on the day you take delivery in Munich, even though it won't work while you're in Europe and only starts working when the car is re-delivered in the US, at least 2-3 months later for West coast customers. If you bought the car used you would only get what was left on the subscription, if the original owner didn't cancel it or transfer it.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Is it supposed to be 1yr in Canada as well?
I lost the satellite traffic and find my destination (when it’s not in the navigation map), at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

I have a first month (6/17) production 2018 MY F82 (iDrive5, no touchscreen).

Connected store says Connected+ is not available for my car. But Apple CarPlay, which I rarely use, paid till 2037! Whoa
Attached Images

"If you want a car for track use, if want to go every other weekend fight-to-fight stopwatch to your local track: go for PDK, definitely. If you use the car, maybe not on track but as a daily commuter going through traffic: take the PDK. But you want a driver's car, a fun car: take the manual. [...]"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Picked up a 2018 this week. Connected + is one year. Others 3 years. CarPlay is 2037 lollll
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Bought 8/2018.
Everything expires 8/2022 except Connected+ (8/2019, 1 year), Apple CarPlay (2038).

I do use the send route function fairly often, so I might renew when it's due.
Appreciate 0