Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Grandeur
Resident Brain Mechanic
Rep
Drives: `19 BSM F83

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Replacement driveshaft?

Some context - So a little over a month ago I got into a minor collision that lead to my whole rear axle being replaced on my M4. I haven't been super adamant (up until recently) about receiving my vehicle back right away as it is currently winter so I wouldn't be driving it too much anyway.

It seems mostly everything is ready to be put back in and I wanted to double-check with the repair center that everything that needs to be ordered would be to factory spec (So basically just anything relating to the comp. package) and I asked about the differential since I had a gut feeling that they had ordered the stock differential and they responded saying that they had indeed ordered the stock diff and would make that change right away which was great!

But then they mentioned that if they do that they would have to change the driveshaft which was made from carbon fiber, and due to the collision, they would have to replace it due to how fragile the CF is which understandably, made sense so they ordered a carbon-fiber driveshaft which is currently on backorder and is the one thing that is keeping them from starting repair on my vehicle.

And now not really wanting to wait too much longer and doing some research it seems BMW stopped putting in the CF driveshaft and replaced it with the steel ones after the LCI? I don't know if I should correct them on the part as I don't know myself and I have read that the reason for the change was that the CF shaft would interfere with something BMW was adding post LCI but I could be totally wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was hoping I can get some clarification if that is true and if there is anything else that I should mention to them that I missed. (E.g. Other comp. pack only parts)

Further context-
2019 BMW M4 Convertible w/ Competition package
Not paying out of pocket, went through insurance
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

The driveshaft was changed to steel to make room for the OPF. If your current one is CF, make sure the replacement is CF.

"ad a gut feeling that they had ordered the stock differential and they responded saying that they had indeed ordered the stock diff and would make that change right away which was great!"

The comp pack differential is the same, just possibly different software... maybe they ordered the totally wrong diff...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
Grandeur
Resident Brain Mechanic
Rep
Drives: `19 BSM F83

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
The driveshaft was changed to steel to make room for the OPF. If your current one is CF, make sure the replacement is CF.

"ad a gut feeling that they had ordered the stock differential and they responded saying that they had indeed ordered the stock diff and would make that change right away which was great!"

The comp pack differential is the same, just possibly different software... maybe they ordered the totally wrong diff...
Ooo gotcha. Yeah, I went in today to confirm with them and it turns out it's the steel shaft. Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0