European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #67
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

What's interesting is that Harris' testing notes actually reveal a more balanced review of at least listing pros and cons and going into more detail. The video was basically a summary with a lot of stuff edited out, but a good one at that and it has to be now that Drive has entered the big leagues of TV.

As for comments saying modded E90s are irrelevant, while this is true for new buyers, a key cost benefit analysis for me and prior owers is: spend some money to make the E90 better, buy the new car, or buy something else. For new owners, buying used vs new, that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV8TT View Post
It's funny if someone comes w a bad review of the car everyone on this form trashes the car and when someone comes w a good review of the car everyone praises the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #68
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bubble View Post
Who is Chris Harris?
Why do we have to listen to this dude?
Does anyone here care enough to explain without being obnoxious?

add one
He's a British car reviewer that has a growing fan base. His videos are among the best because of the way he describes the vehicles he is driving. He's also a very talented driver, as most of his videos shows.

When you get some time, go to youtube and search for Harris on Cars. One of my favorites is when he drives a miata with a paper bag on his head.

Note: Dont ever disparage the Miata on Jalopnik.com. You will be castrated. That car blows, no matter what the cultists have to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #69
DreF80///M3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (F80)

Where is his video with the engineers he mentioned in the beginning of this clip?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #70
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

He's a good reviewer and for being a journalist, actually quite a good driver (for not being a race driver). And despite what people may say, he is not as good as the SportAuto Hockenheim expert and the other race driver who did the M4 vs 911 comparo, but quite good for a journalist (similar to Carlos Lago).

People need to understand though, he does come with biases that are not exactly consensus, ie E46 M3s were better than E92s (he has said this in an interview), EPS steering in Porches and the new M cars are just as good as hydraulic (definitely not a consensus opinion).

Overall, I think he's a great reviewer and makes a good effort to point out the good and the bad in cars he drives and offers a more detailed perspective than many other reviewers. Think with some the older, non-TV content he had more freedom (and time) to do this.

Quote:
Who is Chris Harris?

add one
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #71
sworks335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreF80///M3 View Post
Where is his video with the engineers he mentioned in the beginning of this clip?
This is what I was going to ask, anyone been able to find this yet?
      08-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #72
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

i was going to post this as it was on Drive+ and i have subscribed but I wonder what the Drive Network is going to do when they find posts like this.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #73
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I have *owned* both and I disagree with you wholeheartedly.
Your opinion is understandable given the money lost on the old one and spent on the new one. You are actually more biased than I am.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #74
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
but quite good for a journalist (similar to Carlos Lago).
i think he's a little better driver than carlos lago (although he is good too)

don't they ask harris monkey to participate in actual races?

i prefer Randy Pobst and Tiff Needell (tiff is the best reviewer out there IMO).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #75
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Note: Dont ever disparage the Miata on Jalopnik.com. You will be castrated. That car blows, no matter what the cultists have to say.
I'm going to have to terminate you.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #76
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

Does anyone know when Chris Harris has his show on the nbc sport network tv channel? I have dish network and cannot find a listing for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #77
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Bs

Ive stated many times the 991 is a superior car which is the best I've ever driven. as for the m3/4, I've criticized

-color selection
-front end styling
-lack of advertised weight loss
-unnecessary active sound
-styling of m4

Among other things. So no need for the hysterics. As well as having one on order. You on the other hand don't own one and haven't driven one iirc (could be wrong)

Points simple, it's out of context to compare stock vs modded. E36 modded can be faster than e46, same for all generations.

As for the gtr comparison, what does that have to do with anything? Who brought that up?

And no replacement for displacement is a funny thing to say when you bring up a gtr which has a 3.8l motor. Not exactly huge
I think hysterics is an appropriate way to describe your reaction. Histrionics may even be more appropriate. GTR is a relevant point when the apparent criteria are 1.) speed above all other things, 2.) no mods allowed. It is certainly more topical than your 991 reference. I'll echo FogCity's comments' why stock vs. modded is relevant for current owners. To reiterate, since you don't appear to speaka de ingles muy bien, if you are driving around in an E9X, and you JUST want to be faster, and don't care about better fuel economy, or updated interior, or new tech, or warranty, or free maintenance, but again, simply just want a faster car, you should probably just get a blower. Harrop has two test cars in NA now, it should give you all the city torque you need and more, so you won't be embarrassed by those dastardly turbo hot hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Miatas are fun little go carts, even if they do sell bundled with tampons for your vagina.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #78
Mdecisive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

I have been checking the DRIVE page day in day out to see if this video was posted for the last 6 weeks
Finally !! <3
2009 BMW 130i 6MT E87 - SOLD
2017 BMW LBB M2 DCT F87 - Current ?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #79
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Who is Chris Harris?

add one
He's the oracle. The one who determines for his minions if a car is good or not.

He also happens to be an entertaining car reviewer that really focuses on driving dynamics. Most of us can't drive like him, but like to know how cars would behave if we were able to drive like him.

All kidding aside, he is one of the best reviewers out there and I look forward to his reviews, too. He's built a strong following and people like to know what he thinks about new models. I was waiting to see what he had to say about the Alfa 4C and it seemed like a pretty fair review.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #80
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
I think hysterics is an appropriate way to describe your reaction. Histrionics may even be more appropriate. GTR is a relevant point when the apparent criteria are 1.) speed above all other things, 2.) no mods allowed. It is certainly more topical than your 991 reference. I'll echo FogCity's comments' why stock vs. modded is relevant for current owners. To reiterate, since you don't appear to speaka de ingles muy bien, if you are driving around in an E9X, and you JUST want to be faster, and don't care about better fuel economy, or updated interior, or new tech, or warranty, or free maintenance, but again, simply just want a faster car, you should probably just get a blower. Harrop has two test cars in NA now, it should give you all the city torque you need and more, so you won't be embarrassed by those dastardly turbo hot hatches.

Miatas are fun little go carts, even if they do sell bundled with tampons for your vagina.
Give it up. No one cares and no one takes your trolling seriously anyway. Shouldn't have wasted my time replying in the first place.

If you can't see the value in the newer m3, no worries. Maybe move on instead of repeating the same negativity over an over here. You don't see me or anyone else trolling m3post arguing with those who love their e9x, which is still a great car btw.

Regardless, no reason to discuss any of this with you further.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #81
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Does he have amnesia? This is the same Chris Harris that ran out and bought one of the first e92's because of how much he loved it, right? It's now apparently a piece of crap.

Can't we admit the e9x was a fantastic car when it came out an it's successor is an evolutionary leap forward without retracting your previous feelings for the old car? Guess not...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #82
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Anyone have an alternate link?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #83
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
I think Harris took so long to review the new M3 because he was waiting for a big fat check from BMW

I mean look at the response in this thread alone lawl, his opinions mean a lot to enthusiasts

Not bashing or hating, just stating my observation
This, IMO, is silly. It drives me nuts when a positive review results is "paid off" comments. If it was negative would that mean MB paid him off?
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #84
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Does he have amnesia? This is the same Chris Harris that ran out and bought one of the first e92's because of how much he loved it, right? It's now apparently a piece of crap.

Can't we admit the e9x was a fantastic car when it came out an it's successor is an evolutionary leap forward without retracting your previous feelings for the old car? Guess not...
He never said the E92 wasn't great. The F8X is just that much better. As it should be for a new gen car. My experience owning both is very similar to his views.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #85
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like it was taken down I did watch it and not only does he praise it quite a lot, but he just has so much fun in it! Those drifts are legendary.

Shame Drive went paid, but I can see why. Being that they don't have any major sources for revenue, it stands to readon they have to get money somehow to maintain themselves as a business.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #86
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
i think he's a little better driver than carlos lago (although he is good too)

don't they ask harris monkey to participate in actual races?

i prefer Randy Pobst and Tiff Needell (tiff is the best reviewer out there IMO).
Randy's ability to articulate the driving experience has improved tenfold over the course of his time with Motor Trend. Tiff is always a delight, but I think I like him more for his eccentric behavior and driving skills.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #87
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
He's a good reviewer and for being a journalist, actually quite a good driver (for not being a race driver). And despite what people may say, he is not as good as the SportAuto Hockenheim expert and the other race driver who did the M4 vs 911 comparo, but quite good for a journalist (similar to Carlos Lago).

People need to understand though, he does come with biases that are not exactly consensus, ie E46 M3s were better than E92s (he has said this in an interview), EPS steering in Porches and the new M cars are just as good as hydraulic (definitely not a consensus opinion).

Overall, I think he's a great reviewer and makes a good effort to point out the good and the bad in cars he drives and offers a more detailed perspective than many other reviewers. Think with some the older, non-TV content he had more freedom (and time) to do this.
A lot of people still prefer the E46 M3 as an overall driving machine, so him saying that is more of a common opinion than anything else.

I personally give the staff at EVO the end-all judgement when it comes to evaluating a car's performance driving merits. They picked an E46 M3 CSL as a contender for their best drivers car of the past 20 years - not any of the other M3 gens.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #88
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
It's faster, people are not buying just cause it's new. I wouldn't buy it if I weren't faster than the e9x.
Well, speed alone can't be the deciding factor, since more speed can be had out of the E9X for less money. I would imagine people are buying the car for the whole package of latest tech and convenience features, great performance with decent fuel economy, and aesthetic appeal. You know, like every previous car.
No duh, I didn't mean faster in a straight line I meant all around. Last time I checked this is BMW forum not a mustang forum.
Appreciate 0