ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
golferwheels
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Help with buying car -paint correction touch up

Buying this f80 from 2018 and the car needs a paint correction and touch up and then will apply ppf to it. Wanted to see if anyone had a touch up done to similar looking condition of paint chips/scratches and what the final product look like versus having a body shop fill it one by one. Also, above rear fender it needs to be sandblasted to get all the gunk off. The car is low miles 15k so it's something where I can fix the paint and outside and re-protect and have it looking close to perfect again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Try Dr. Colorchip at http://www.drcolorchip.com. Worked great on my Tanazanite F80.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 2
NickyC17433.00
      01-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
golferwheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
Try Dr. Colorchip at http://www.drcolorchip.com. Worked great on my Tanazanite F80.
Quote:
Thanks - how deep were your chips? Do you have any pics? Nice choice on your color
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Those are some bad chips. If the levels arent even with the rest of the surface, they will have air pockets in the PPF and look more noticeable than they do without PPF.

It needs to be filled and paint blended.
Appreciate 3
Bmock17600.50
scoale682.00
      01-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
Morgen Black
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Unicycle

Quote:
I have used Dr. Colorchip for tiny chips on the front bumper or hood and it hides them well enough. If you plan on using it for the pictures you posted, then I would not even bother. I had a large scratch that I tried to fix with Dr. Colorchip and it was a horrible process and result. The Dr. Colorchip paint is not permanent, so you will have to reapply it later down the line. Take it to a professional paint shop and get it done right the first time. I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but trust me from experience. You get what you pay for with regard to quality when doing paint correction.

MB
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
nate704
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

unless you are very experienced and have all the correct tools, you will not get it right and PPF will show all the imperfections way more than w/o PPF.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
golferwheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate704 View Post
unless you are very experienced and have all the correct tools, you will not get it right and PPF will show all the imperfections way more than w/o PPF.
Quote:
I will be having a professional detail place do the touch up I don't trust my skills
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Those are some bad chips. If the levels arent even with the rest of the surface, they will have air pockets in the PPF and look more noticeable than they do without PPF.

It needs to be filled and paint blended.
I'll second this. I had everything done as planned..correction, reflection, protection, then PPF. I had several nicks that were touched up using Dr. Color Chip. In retrospect, I should have had all of them professionally fixed. PPF highlights everything NOT level. PPF is not cheap. I would get everything done correctly before you Lay-out cash. Otherwise you'll always look at it like I do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
golferwheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen Black View Post
Quote:
I have used Dr. Colorchip for tiny chips on the front bumper or hood and it hides them well enough. If you plan on using it for the pictures you posted, then I would not even bother. I had a large scratch that I tried to fix with Dr. Colorchip and it was a horrible process and result. The Dr. Colorchip paint is not permanent, so you will have to reapply it later down the line. Take it to a professional paint shop and get it done right the first time. I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but trust me from experience. You get what you pay for with regard to quality when doing paint correction.

MB
Quote:
What do you think a professional paint shop charges for that?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferwheels View Post
Buying this f80 from 2018 and the car needs a paint correction and touch up and then will apply ppf to it. Wanted to see if anyone had a touch up done to similar looking condition of paint chips/scratches and what the final product look like versus having a body shop fill it one by one. Also, above rear fender it needs to be sandblasted to get all the gunk off. The car is low miles 15k so it's something where I can fix the paint and outside and re-protect and have it looking close to perfect again.
The damage on the rear wheel arches is not gunk that can be sandblasted off. Those are all individual paint chips. If you really want to fix it, that entire panel needs to be sanded and repainted/blended by a professional body shop. It would likely be over 1k to fix what you've posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
overfreeze
Banned
Rep
Drives: 18' BSM M4 ZCP

Wow. That rear quarter panel is ruined. You're going to need a respray and a blend if you want it to look perfect. As well as mud flaps/PPF afterward to prevent this from happening again in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #12
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Thanks - how deep were your chips? Do you have any pics? Nice choice on your color
The usual rock chips - Dr. Colorchip provides the paint, a squeegee/spreader, and the "blending solution" plus a cloth. You dab the paint on (or dribble it from the bottle), then use a nitrile-gloved thumb or the squeegee to smear it, and then use the blending solution on the supplied cloth to remove all the paint except where it's filling in the chips. I've used it for years - works really great.

I don't have any close-up pics, but my "garage" on here has some regular photos.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #13
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen Black View Post

MB
I'll have to dispute the non-permanent status of Dr Colorchip - I've never had to re-apply the paint after filling chips. The trick is to clean them with alcohol first so the paint sticks better, and be sure to smear the paint right after applying so it gets pushed into the chip. Wait about 5 minutes before blending. Sometimes you might have to apply a 2nd coat if the chip or scratch is deep enough.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #14
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Any touchups will only make the eye sore less apparent, but you'll still see the touchup areas if you look for them - just to set reasonable expectations of what touchup can achieve. If you are after perfection then respray if the route. Those rear fenders will definitely benefit from a respray though - if you do go down this path, you can have the shop mix up a little extra paint that you can use for touchups (from personal experience this is the best way to go since the paint is matched to your car).

You should look into the TLG mudflaps for some fender protection - seen them in person and you wouldn't even know they're there unless you're looking for them since they blend in so well
      01-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
IMO, I would just buy touch up paint and level them the best as you can and then seal it with PPF. The car isn't a brand new car so I wouldn't worry too much about paint chips at this point. If I were you, I would find a way to prevent getting additional chips which is the PPF.

I have searched around to see if a body shop would do a touch up paint for me, some of the body shops I've ran into would do the service complementary if you were referred by the Dealership and brought the OEM paint...but it's not much better than doing it yourself. The other body shops wouldn't do it since it's not a service they provide and they will talk you into repainting the whole panel to make it "blended".

If you want perfection, you might as well spend the money and get the panel repainted and then sealed with PPF.

However, I've ran into an issue where my PPF is getting punctured so I am just laying touch up paint over my PPF so it doesn't look like grey dots over my white M4.

So in the end, with or without PPF you'll end up getting chips some how.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #16
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

you will need a repaint. the front end chips can be made less noticeable by dr. colorchip... but its not worth it to ppf a car in this sort of paint condition. the rear quarter panel is trashed and will need a repaint first before ppf.

if it were me i'd just get a good detail and then wrap it some custom color.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #17
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Agree that a repaint is needed to look perfect but if it were me, I'd just leave it as is other than touching up or polishing out the bigger scratches. It's a used car and will continue to get damaged through driving. I don't think PPF is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #18
golferwheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
you will need a repaint. the front end chips can be made less noticeable by dr. colorchip... but its not worth it to ppf a car in this sort of paint condition. the rear quarter panel is trashed and will need a repaint first before ppf.

if it were me i'd just get a good detail and then wrap it some custom color.
How much would you consider to be fair to take off the price for this because of the "rock chips" above film
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #19
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How much would you consider to be fair to take off the price for this because of the "rock chips" above film
The dealer may have already priced the vehicle with this condition in mind. They may not be willing to take off more for it. But it doesn't hurt to try to negotiate, especially making the argument that while the vehicle has lower mileage, the actual physical condition reflects that of a higher mileage vehicle. That's a lot of paint chips. I would be asking for $1,000 off and settle for $500 off.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #20
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Honestly looking at some of those pics, I think a respray is in order if you really want it to look acceptable. Paint chip filler, even applied professionally will still be quite noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:37 PM   #21
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

So I'm surprised that no one else commented on this, but from my short time on this forum I'd be cautious of buying a used M3/M4 competition package (noted by the wheels in one of the pics) that looks like it's had the snot beat out of it. The rock chips on the rear quarter and possibly front bumper headlights could signal use in BMW performance driving experience/school, or whatever it was called. Look at the drivers seat to determine the amount of wear and look at the original owner of the car. I don't recall the place exactly, but if it shows it was in New Jersey in the same town as BMW, then be suspicious.

There are threads on this:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1403326

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1546601

And my favorite that actually worked out in the end...
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1780097

All I can say is that it's worth looking into on the car you're looking to buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #22
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
Honestly looking at some of those pics, I think a respray is in order if you really want it to look acceptable. Paint chip filler, even applied professionally will still be quite noticeable.
agree - pics on the hood and those little chips can be touched up, but that rear quarter makes me think the car was tracked - how many miles on the car? - Edit - If it was tracked hard it would have tons of splatter on the front bumper too (depending on how aggressive driver was - but rear quarters will get abused regardless of skill level of driver)

install some mud guards on the front and the rear too, this will help from future abuse.

You're looking at least $2K per rear quarter to respray and get the front touched up, then a really good paint correction and PPF another 4-6K depending on where you are. That's a lot of $ - if it were my money I'd just touch it up and move on.

Last edited by m3elmo; 01-12-2021 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0