proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Social distancing - Covid 19

I wanted to shout out I hope everyone is doing okay in these times and not feeling like crap. I've learned a lot from people's experiences from various topic discussed here and I really appreciate this site keeping us together even though or no more meets and gatherings. Please stay healthy and safe as we will get over this economic crisis and global pandemic. God bless[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
icegrill2078.00
      04-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Truth. Good distraction and even some laughs sometimes!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Social distancing is a sham, get the people n95 masks in mass amounts, every manufacturer should be producing these the same way everyone was producing fire arms and bullets in past wars.

And before you go on about that BS that masks are not effective, gtfo, doctors are wearing n95's all day dealing with thousands of patients in an infested hospital and rarely get sick, and before you mention the 20-30 cases in the world, just don't as it's sucha small sample size which varies by improper use/cleaning or under extreme circumstances.

For the average person who goes out and works/gets food wearing these masks effectively gives them a very high percentage of not ever coming close to getting infected. This is what flattens the curve insanely, not trusting people to do the right thing.

Also not offering deliveries for food and resources forces everyone to enter grocery stores and contract it there.

The system is idiotic, ya lets just throw trillions of dollars in keeping people at home (mind you people you cant trust to stay home) where instead we can throw trillions into producing masks, making people purchase them, opening up jobs for delivery of groceries, having people still practice great hygiene habits, reducing the strain/completely removing the strain on healthcare and starting to normalize everything.

I don't see 1 goddamn reason we can't have other manufacturers absolutely mass produce the damn masks/eyewear if necessary.

Sorry i had to rant but social distancing is absolute idiocy unless done through military movement. Far too many cases are contracted through seniors homes, brought too and from hospitals, and through close contacts because we don't have protective equipment!!

Sorry if a doctor wears these damn things for 12 hours a day in infested quarters for months and is still fine i am pretty sure they have some effectivity.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
NickyC17356.00
      04-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Among the 10 states that have reported the # of healthcare workers who have contracted covid, there are over 1000 cases. I googled this in 10 seconds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

While I agree with you that the initial response to covid was terrible, it’s too late. Masks could help a little, but it’s out there now.

Let’s just all keep our distance and do our part until this passes. And no tailgating!
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      04-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Among the 10 states that have reported the # of healthcare workers who have contracted covid, there are over 1000 cases. I googled this in 10 seconds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

While I agree with you that the initial response to covid was terrible, it’s too late. Masks could help a little, but it’s out there now.

Let’s just all keep our distance and do our part until this passes. And no tailgating!
That article mentions 100s to 1000s and that they arent tracking them, It could very well be right but all i saw was 1 death and a few nurse deaths one being 64.

At 4-5 deaths I imagine it's somewhere lower than the 20-30 deaths.

Either way the percentage of doctors and nurses who dont contract this is incredibly high due to their protection.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Well there aren’t enough masks to provide to worldwide healthcare workers right now. So it is a moot point. It would take longer than you think to manufacture and distribute them to everyone and then you still have to deal with people complying. So even if that were the plan, we’d still all be home right now.
      04-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Well there aren't enough masks to provide to worldwide healthcare workers right now. So it is a moot point. It would take longer than you think to manufacture and distribute them to everyone and then you still have to deal with people complying. So even if that were the plan, we'd still all be home right now.
Should have started producing them 2 weeks ago, who said it had to be 1 manufacturer.

We can split atoms and produce 3 series by the boatloads but cant manufacture billions of masks using every manufacturer capable on this damn planet? I don't but that Bullshit.

This has incompetence and laziness written all over it, good luck mandating people to stay home, masks you can mandate, simple rule, no mask on outside = 5k fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Should have started producing them 2 weeks ago, who said it had to be 1 manufacturer.

We can split atoms and produce 3 series by the boatloads but cant manufacture billions of masks using every manufacturer capable on this damn planet? I don't but that Bullshit.

This has incompetence and laziness written all over it, good luck mandating people to stay home, masks you can mandate, simple rule, no mask on outside = 5k fine.
1. It didn't happen weeks ago and there is no time machine to go back. We are where we are.
2. Production capacity is insufficient to supply multiple masks to billions of people in 2 weeks, as well as supply healthcare workers. Not gonna happen whether you believe it or not.
3. $5K fines applied to people who can't even pay a month's rent after 3 weeks of financial distress are useless. Fines are meaningless if people ignore them due to financial circumstances. You can also fine people who go out when they should stay home, but it would be similarly meaningless.
4. Before you mention it, we also can't throw thousands or millions of people in prison for not wearing masks and then expect doing so will reduce transmission.

We are all frustrated with the situation. At the moment, there is no choice other than social distancing.
      04-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

1. It didn't happen weeks ago and there is no time machine to go back. We are where we are.
2. Production capacity is insufficient to supply multiple masks to billions of people in 2 weeks, as well as supply healthcare workers. Not gonna happen whether you believe it or not.
3. $5K fines applied to people who can't even pay a month's rent after 3 weeks of financial distress are useless. Fines are meaningless if people ignore them due to financial circumstances. You can also fine people who go out when they should stay home, but it would be similarly meaningless.
4. Before you mention it, we also can't throw thousands or millions of people in prison for not wearing masks and then expect doing so will reduce transmission.

We are all frustrated with the situation. At the moment, there is no choice other than social distancing.
2. Who says? apparently Canada is going to be getting supplies by the millions, scale up another factory or 3, we are talking millions of lives at stake here, we had manufacturers during the war pumping out so much artilery. I looked into the N95 mask compounds and nothing there screams scarcity, or difficult production methods, or any bottle necks.

Why would i mention putting people in jail? Nonsense idea, I just threw a number out there, also you can't catch people doing their day to day business as it's hard to spot who is out there for a reason vs who isn't.

Mask on or mask off is simple.

Nice social distancing going on when in my city we cant even get groceries delivered. This is negligence and piss poor planning.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2. Who says? apparently Canada is going to be getting supplies by the millions, scale up another factory or 3, we are talking millions of lives at stake here, we had manufacturers during the war pumping out so much artilery. I looked into the N95 mask compounds and nothing there screams scarcity, or difficult production methods, or any bottle necks.

Why would i mention putting people in jail? Nonsense idea, I just threw a number out there, also you can't catch people doing their day to day business as it's hard to spot who is out there for a reason vs who isn't.

Nice social distancing going on when in my city we cant even get groceries delivered. This is negligence and piss poor planning.
Simple math and common sense.

3M is one of the world’s largest producers of N95 masks. They have scaled up from 400M per year to 1.1 billion per year and say they can’t keep up with existing demand even before we follow your plan to get everyone a mask. They will scale up again to 2 billion / year over the next 12 mos. So one of the biggest manufacturers will need a YEAR to produce 2 billion masks. Even if they have only 10% market share that means it would take a year to produce 20 billion if all manufacturers expanded capacity similarly. Let’s go ahead and say we assume adequate materials are available and other types of manufacturers double that capacity and get 20 billion made in 6 mos. Health care workers, construction workers / contractors and maintenance people are heavy users and your plan presumably assumes they all keep working. The masks do not last forever and need to be replaced (hence the current demand by healthcare workers).

There are just under 8 billion people in the world. NFW you are getting them all wearing masks in 2 weeks or 2 months.

But it seems like your mind is made up. If this is such a simple proposition you should start buying up manufacturing facilities of closed companies so you can convert them and start making masks ASAP. Surely banks and investors will believe in your plan and advance you any funding you need. Good luck!
      04-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Quote:
That article mentions 100s to 1000s and that they arent tracking them, It could very well be right but all i saw was 1 death and a few nurse deaths one being 64.

Either way the percentage of doctors and nurses who dont contract this is incredibly high due to their protection.
You need to read more than the first couple paragraphs. It’s an article. I’ll help you out.

Of the 10 states that reported how many healthcare workers have tested positive, there are 1119 positive tests. That is an actual number.

Your 20-30 comment is just fiction and made up by you for what reason? You’re as dangerous as the virus for stating false information. I have multiple friends who have already lost loved ones from this disease. Don’t make shlt up.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #12
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Simple math and common sense.

3M is one of the world’s largest producers of N95 masks. They have scaled up from 400M per year to 1.1 billion per year and say they can’t keep up with existing demand even before we follow your plan to get everyone a mask. They will scale up again to 2 billion / year over the next 12 mos. So one of the biggest manufacturers will need a YEAR to produce 2 billion masks. Even if they have only 10% market share that means it would take a year to produce 20 billion if all manufacturers expanded capacity similarly. Let’s go ahead and say we assume adequate materials are available and other types of manufacturers double that capacity and get 20 billion made in 6 mos. Health care workers, construction workers / contractors and maintenance people are heavy users and your plan presumably assumes they all keep working. The masks do not last forever and need to be replaced (hence the current demand by healthcare workers).

There are just under 8 billion people in the world. NFW you are getting them all wearing masks in 2 weeks or 2 months.

But it seems like your mind is made up. If this is such a simple proposition you should start buying up manufacturing facilities of closed companies so you can convert them and start making masks ASAP. Surely banks and investors will believe in your plan and advance you any funding you need. Good luck!
They have reused the masks up to 10 times in a few cases and their rate of use is up to 8 hours right now per mask, the general population isn't running around in hospitals treating 100s of patients a day, I just want to be able to get my groceries that's it.

How long do you guys expect this thing to go on with these measures. Incubation period of 5-15 days with recovery time in that near 30 day time frame at most.

even a mask per person at 10 reuses will get us by this period. Not to mention starting with high traffic areas such as NYC, spain, Italy would bring down the rates very quickly.

Also you mention their production rates, Of course their plant isnt suited for that level of production, there is no damn need on a regular day to day basis, this isn't saying they can't.
Toss them a massive facility or the means to it.

3M produces 50 million masks each month in the states under their normal operations, that's enough to get every single damn person in canada a mask and still have 17 million masks doctors and nurses can use and dispose of daily.

I am sure the hundreds of billions spent on isolating people could have been used funding these operations.

What i do know is the states is in shambles and social distancing seems to be doing it's job.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #13
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Quote:

You need to read more than the first couple paragraphs. It’s an article. I’ll help you out.

Of the 10 states that reported how many healthcare workers have tested positive, there are 1119 positive tests. That is an actual number.

Your 20-30 comment is just fiction and made up by you for what reason? You’re as dangerous as the virus for stating false information. I have multiple friends who have already lost loved ones from this disease. Don’t make shlt up.
Read it, article claims it has trouble defining what is considered a health care worker, cases are anecdotal, not tracking, etc.

confirmed cases in the 1 thousand range? Did they contract it in the hospital setting? did they contract it at home? Were they properly equipped at the time?

All question marks, what isn't a question mark is the effectivity of protection equipment.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Masks could help a little, if worn correctly. But the problem is the general public has no idea how to correctly wear them. The virus is spread 99% by TOUCHING a contaminated person or surface then TOUCHING YOUR OWN FACE. The virus doesn't fly through the air very easily contrary to what the media would have you believe. An infected person would have to sneeze or cough within close proximity to you of you to get it that way.

I fear this homemade mask idea that Dr. Fauci and the surgeon general were bullied into might actually make things worse. When I go to a grocery store or pharmacy I'm starting to see lots more people wear masks now. Good idea, right? The problem is, half the time as soon as these people leave the store, they are immediately reaching up onto their faces to remove the mask. They haven't washed their hands yet, they haven't purelled their hands yet, and they were literally just pushing around the shopping kart with their gloved or bare hands (doesn't matter).

If you want to wear a mask, go ahead. Whether you have a mask on or not please be safe:

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!
WASH YOUR HANDS!
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!
WASH YOUR HANDS!

Sounds simple, but its not easy. Try counting how many times per day you touch your own face. You'd be surprised how many times per day you subconciously do it.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410883.50
      04-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Masks could help a little, if worn correctly. But the problem is the general public has no idea how to correctly wear them. The virus is spread 99% by TOUCHING a contaminated person or surface then TOUCHING YOUR OWN FACE. The virus doesn't fly through the air very easily contrary to what the media would have you believe. An infected person would have to sneeze or cough within close proximity to you of you to get it that way.

I fear this homemade mask idea that Dr. Fauci and the surgeon general were bullied into might actually make things worse. When I go to a grocery store or pharmacy I'm starting to see lots more people wear masks now. Good idea, right? The problem is, half the time as soon as these people leave the store, they are immediately reaching up onto their faces to remove the mask. They haven't washed their hands yet, they haven't purelled their hands yet, and they were literally just pushing around the shopping kart with their gloved or bare hands (doesn't matter).

If you want to wear a mask, go ahead. Whether you have a mask on or not please be safe:

DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!
WASH YOUR HANDS!
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!
WASH YOUR HANDS!

Sounds simple, but its not easy. Try counting how many times per day you touch your own face. You'd be surprised how many times per day you subconciously do it.
My city doesn't bother to help or encourage grocery stores to hire delivery workers and backend inventory selectors to be delivering food around the clock.

Instead they have shortened store hours so we can congregate more people in a shorter time frame giving less time to sanitize surfaces.

Very smart individuals running these operations, but ya keep yelling at people for being outside in fresh air at the end of the day.

When this is all said and done and we have racked up so many deaths, the media is going to come around with some photos being taken of somw outdoor gatherings with a large disclaimer that the people have failed each other by not practicing this heroic strategic move called social distancing.

Apparently all i have been told through the media is that this thing is so powerful in the air that just being in the same national park as someone instantly renders you pneumonia infected, while grocery stores we need to practice our safe 2 meter distance and all will be okay.

Does no one else see the mental retardation in how things work or? Does anyone really think keeping grocery stores open with reduced hours and packing them with thousands of people q day touching apples and tomatos, and picking out the best watermelon is a good idea?

Does anyone really think me going to walk my dog in a national park nets me a much larger percentage of infection than me playing bumper cars in a walmart?

I dont know maybe I can propose to scrap the cashiers, scrap the store, hire a bunch of back end delivery packagers, hire a boatload of drivers and maybe just maybe we can just order our food online? Section it off by neighbourhood, have delivery drivers going to the same locations regularly? Pre select your time slots a day in advance.

Some stores i know offer it with a 10-20 day delivery wait time, so good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #16
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
That’s too bad there aren’t better grocery delivery options in Toronto. Luckily, here in Arizona we have some great options. We used Instacart this week, and our groceries were delivered within a couple of hours. The delivery girl was freaking hot too! I asked my wife if we can request her again. She said No! 😆

Name:  EF19E889-5AC1-47E6-BAEE-DB07B91BD2C5.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  69.5 KB

Our governor has been encouraging us to get outside and excercise as long as keep our distance from each other. The sun is good for your physical and mental health.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410883.50
Poiseuille5362.00
      04-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
That’s too bad there aren’t better grocery delivery options in Toronto. Luckily, here in Arizona we have some great options. We used Instacart this week, and our groceries were delivered within a couple of hours. The delivery girl was freaking hot too! I asked my wife if we can request her again. She said No! 😆

Attachment 2275761

Our governor has been encouraging us to get outside and excercise as long as keep our distance from each other. The sun is good for your physical and mental health.
Yeah we haven’t been to the store in weeks. We’ve used InstaCart a few times, as well as Shipt. But none looking like your delivery girl.
MaynardZed1231.00
      04-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

For whoever dates that delivery girl has much better things to eat than groceries
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      04-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #19
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

I’m glad others have realized that these forums are what keep us together and less lonely. Good luck and stay safe. Highway patrol is stepping up make sure you know what you’re doing and be smart about it. Let’s make the most of these times
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #20
lfepro.g
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

Me and my boys social distancing LOL
Attached Images