GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
M Spec
Rep
Drives: STi

Looking to purchase my first M3

Hi everyone, relatively new here.

I'm finally ready to purchase an F80 but not before seeking some advice from the experienced members here.

I would prefer white with CF roof and possibly 6M. Manual seems cheaper to maintain vs the DCT and will hopefully retain value better with the G80 potentially eliminating that option altogether. My commute is also mostly highway so I don't suffer traffic often.

Those that live in harsher climates, I'm from Chicago, how would all season tires fare vs a dedicated winter set. I ask because I have no intention of tracking the car and am not an aggressive driver.

What's the preferred method of purchase. Dealer CPO? Best time of year? Figure with winter they'll be sitting in showrooms.

I'm fairly anxious purchasing a vehicle that's not CPO - those that have, what has your experience been long term.

Much thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
jbed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 - ZCP - DCT - BSM/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Spec View Post
Those that live in harsher climates, I'm from Chicago, how would all season tires fare vs a dedicated winter set. I ask because I have no intention of tracking the car and am not an aggressive driver.
This car has a lack of traction by its nature of being a twin turbo rear wheel drive beast. Speaking from experience I recommend for safety purposes that you maintain two sets of wheels and tires for the changing seasons. You need all the dry grip you can get in each season.

Fair warning - once you drive a F80 you may become an aggressive driver. And if you are not interested in a very focused driving experience this may not be the right rocket sled for you. It sounds like you may need to test drive a few or rent one on Turo.

Regarding CPO - CPO/BMW Dealership purchase experience costs $$$ so consider looking for a car with some remaining warranty. I went with a 2017 for this reason as warranty expires in early-2021. 3rd party warranty would be another route - search for that thread too. Beware of previously tuned vehicles, get a PPI even if CPO.

Regarding specs - its a personal choice on transmission and roof. You will find more Carbon roofed DCT cars. @TommyLGarage on youtube (Tommy L Garage on forum) has some great videos comparing the different transmissions, options and mods that are common on this platform. I wouldn't make a case for any modern BMW depreciating materially differently based on transmission - we're all still on the downward depreciation trend. Also read the G80 rumor threads, there's talk of available manual.

Last edited by jbed; 10-16-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
M Spec5.00
      10-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
M Spec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbed View Post
Quote:
This car has a lack of traction by its nature of being a twin turbo rear wheel drive beast. Speaking from experience I recommend for safety purposes that you maintain two sets of wheels and tires for the changing seasons. You need all the dry grip you can get in each season.

Fair warning - once you drive a F80 you may become an aggressive driver. And if you are not interested in a very focused driving experience this may not be the right rocket sled for you. It sounds like you may need to test drive a few or rent one on Turo.

Regarding CPO - CPO/BMW Dealership purchase experience costs $$$ so consider looking for a car with some remaining warranty. I went with a 2017 for this reason as warranty expires in early-2021. 3rd party warranty would be another route - search for that thread too. Beware of previously tuned vehicles, get a PPI even if CPO.

Regarding specs - its a personal choice on transmission and roof. You will find more Carbon roofed DCT cars. @TommyLGarage has some great videos comparing the different transmissions, options and mods that are common on this platform. I wouldn't make a case for any modern BMW depreciating materially differently based on transmission - we're all still on the downward depreciation trend. Also read the G80 rumor threads, there's talk of available manual.
Appreciate your insightful comments.

I should clarify that aggressiveness behind the wheel is probably a more relative term, as someone that has owned wrx and STis, I like a responsive rocket - I just don't overdo it or beat on my cars.

Thanks for feedback on tires. I'm so used to AWD and this would be my first rwd.
Appreciate 1
jbed39.50
      10-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
jbed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 - ZCP - DCT - BSM/SS

Quote:
Appreciate your insightful comments.

I should clarify that aggressiveness behind the wheel is probably a more relative term, as someone that has owned wrx and STis, I like a responsive rocket - I just don't overdo it or beat on my cars.

Thanks for feedback on tires. I'm so used to AWD and this would be my first rwd.
Yeah, I came from tuned Audi S3 - this is a very different experience of power delivery. Enjoy the buying experience!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
The F8X has been the most reliable M car to date. Not a lot of problems aside from the overly exacerbated spun crank hub problem that occurs in a small percentage of cars. Mostly if you tuned it then you will have a higher chance of running into that problem, but still a small percentage. Probably a higher chance of being struck by lightning than getting a spun crank hub.

The most important things are going to be your options that you want (executive, competition, color, etc).

I wouldn't factor too much in year unless you want LCI tail lights and ICON headlights.

Whichever car you pick, just mainly focus on option and transmission you want.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
M Spec
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
The F8X has been the most reliable M car to date. Not a lot of problems aside from the overly exacerbated spun crank hub problem that occurs in a small percentage of cars. Mostly if you tuned it then you will have a higher chance of running into that problem, but still a small percentage. Probably a higher chance of being struck by lightning than getting a spun crank hub.

The most important things are going to be your options that you want (executive, competition, color, etc).

I wouldn't factor too much in year unless you want LCI tail lights and ICON headlights.

Whichever car you pick, just mainly focus on option and transmission you want.
So is there an opportune time of year to purchase? I rarely see 6M let alone competitive attached as an option. Was hoping winter would increase likelihood of trade-ins.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #7
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Hi everyone, relatively new here.

I'm finally ready to purchase an F80 but not before seeking some advice from the experienced members here.

I would prefer white with CF roof and possibly 6M. Manual seems cheaper to maintain vs the DCT and will hopefully retain value better with the G80 potentially eliminating that option altogether. My commute is also mostly highway so I don't suffer traffic often.

What's the preferred method of purchase. Dealer CPO? Best time of year? Figure with winter they'll be sitting in showrooms.

I'm fairly anxious purchasing a vehicle that's not CPO - those that have, what has your experience been long term.

Much thanks.
Do your best to find a 2017 CPO with under 45,000 miles. Just gives you peace of mind.

I have a daily driver 06 Gti, but I do have a set of Continental DWS 06 performance all-Seasons for my M3. They were fantastic last winter in Connecticut. Of course a square set of winter tires are better but it was perfect for me.

Took me 5 1/2 months to find my car last year. 2016 M3 6 speed, sunroof full
Leather, executive package, black. Car is MINT!!! This is my first BMW ever and is my dream car. It's exceeded my expectations.

Good luck with search!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
So is there an opportune time of year to purchase? I rarely see 6M let alone competitive attached as an option. Was hoping winter would increase likelihood of trade-ins.
If you want the most amount in the market it's going to be summer. People know not to sell the car during the winter because there's no demand. In the winter, prices will be lower if the car isn't moving. I'm assuming you're in a snow area.

I'm in California...it's always warm here.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

OP, buy my car

I'm in Chicago, and am selling a white, manual, CF roof M3 . Here’s the listing with details:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652454

PM me if you wanna check it out

Last edited by ntg44; 10-16-2019 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0