Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
AZCheng
Rep
Drives: 15 Austin YellowF82 M4

Top Mount Intercooler and Heat Exchanger

Hi, guys

During some of the the hotter track days these couple of months, I've noticed significant power drops at the of the 20 mins session. The car has BM3 OTS stage 2 tune, in the first 2-3 laps the power felt good and it slowly declines after that. In some cases the car felt like on stock boost at the end of the session.

I really liked to know if aftermarket offers a solution to make the car go through a 20 min session without any heat soak? If so what brands combination are good options that are relatively inexpensive?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Your best bang for the buck will likely be the heat-exchanger (larger surface area for heat dissipation), but adding the top mount will assist as well.

From a quality stand-point with proven data to back it up, Mishimoto all day. For what it's worth, I'd personally stay away from CSF as the owner of the company has made it quite clear that they're only concerned with sales figures as opposed to solid data or performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Sorry you think it's a bad look, but your quote is absolute spot on - Over the weekend we sold 12 charge coolers, about half of those sales where directly attributed to the post that I made with messages saying so.

The guys posting negatively about the product can continue to throw shade, and to be honest it doesn't effect us one bit - Close to 3000 of them now sold, record sales month in August for these coolers. We can't make them fast enough and are always waiting for more stock to arrive -Some of you guys are seem very salty and I feel bad for you - We're here making money, you're here posting negatively doing what? Enjoy your crusade. Sorry not sorry
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760854
Appreciate 5
      07-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Front Heat exchanger first then evaluate the need for a top mount intercooler
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
MJ6963.50
M2_MEDUSA664.00
      07-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
johnso21
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Your best bang for the buck will likely be the heat-exchanger (larger surface area for heat dissipation), but adding the top mount will assist as well.

From a quality stand-point with proven data to back it up, Mishimoto all day. For what it's worth, I'd personally stay away from CSF as the owner of the company has made it quite clear that they're only concerned with sales figures as opposed to solid data or performance.

Yikes. Wont be buying a CSF...looks like wegner or mishimoto. I have a mishimoto oil cooler and felt it was top notch so their products and customer service have made me a repeat customer.
Appreciate 2
MJ6963.50
TideMD291.50
      07-30-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnso21 View Post
Quote:

Yikes. Wont be buying a CSF...looks like wegner or mishimoto. I have a mishimoto oil cooler and felt it was top notch so their products and customer service have made me a repeat customer.
I'd probably go with the Wagner. Their tube and Fin core should make it very efficient for track duty.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCheng View Post
Hi, guys

During some of the the hotter track days these couple of months, I've noticed significant power drops at the of the 20 mins session. The car has BM3 OTS stage 2 tune, in the first 2-3 laps the power felt good and it slowly declines after that. In some cases the car felt like on stock boost at the end of the session.

I really liked to know if aftermarket offers a solution to make the car go through a 20 min session without any heat soak? If so what brands combination are good options that are relatively inexpensive?
If money is not an issue, I would get CSF or Wagner.

I recommend you also check out the MAD package deal, it offers the best value in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
AZCheng
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Sorry you think it's a bad look, but your quote is absolute spot on - Over the weekend we sold 12 charge coolers, about half of those sales where directly attributed to the post that I made with messages saying so.

The guys posting negatively about the product can continue to throw shade, and to be honest it doesn't effect us one bit - Close to 3000 of them now sold, record sales month in August for these coolers. We can't make them fast enough and are always waiting for more stock to arrive -Some of you guys are seem very salty and I feel bad for you - We're here making money, you're here posting negatively doing what? Enjoy your crusade. Sorry not sorry
Got you! I try narrow down a heat exchanger first. Any idea about the if the Dinan heat exchanger is any good? Or I should just stay with mishimoto?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
If money was not an issue I would go with what looks to be the best charge cooler out there, but it comes with a steep price. Bimmerworld by C&R looks like the best design hands down!
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11468.50
THEROK1267.50
      07-31-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
AZCheng
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog86 View Post
If money was not an issue I would go with what looks to be the best charge cooler out there, but it comes with a steep price. Bimmerworld by C&R looks like the best design hands down!
I've heard so much about it already, but 4K for just a intercooler is quite steep.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:44 PM   #10
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
Hellokitty is right, get front heat exchanger and see if that works for you first. The stock charge cooler out performed many aftermarket company's but it can fail and leak, the down side of the oem charge cooler.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2894.00
      07-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Quote:
Got you! I try narrow down a heat exchanger first. Any idea about the if the Dinan heat exchanger is any good? Or I should just stay with mishimoto?
From an area of functionality, most of the available heat exchangers should provide approximately the same benefit (Dinan/Mishimoto/CSF). When I was researching which brand to upgrade with one of my primary criteria was fitment as I planned on taking care of the install myself.

Kies Motorsports has a decent amount of videos going over the installation of the major brands, and out of the three brands previously mentioned Mishimoto didn't require any drilling or modification during the install process. I was also really impressed by the quality and amount of R&D they put into their products, so for me it was a no brainer.

For Sale
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 12:50 AM   #12
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From an area of functionality, most of the available heat exchangers should provide approximately the same benefit (Dinan/Mishimoto/CSF). When I was researching which brand to upgrade with one of my primary criteria was fitment as I planned on taking care of the install myself.

Kies Motorsports has a decent amount of videos going over the installation of the major brands, and out of the three brands previously mentioned Mishimoto didn't require any drilling or modification during the install process. I was also really impressed by the quality and amount of R&D they put into their products, so for me it was a no brainer.
Mishimoto and CSF are the best out of the 3. No modification or cutting/drilling needed. It just bolts right on.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #13
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I bought Koyorad and its a very nice unit, don't count them out.
https://shop.redline360.com/products...-2020-vh423704
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #14
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

+1 for Wagner Engineering.

To be totally honest they did have one batch of TMICs where a new employee added an extra weld to the front hose connection and blocking the hose from clipping (eff-ing DUH! Sorry Wagner…). We caught it here first, Mike@X-PH told Wagner, and also got our user a quick re-ship of a good new unit.

+2 for Mike@X-PH. No they don't stock everything, nobody does, but Mike takes your back if you're not happy. Best prices…just ask!
Zeeeeero BS and good advice.
He earned those words.
      08-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #15
todd20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m4

I went with Dinan Heat exchanger.

They've been in the BMW game for a long time and price was fair.

CSF would be my second choice.

I'm sure Mishi is a good one too but I prefer not to have Japanese parts on a German car. That's just me tho
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:57 PM   #16
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd20 View Post
I went with Dinan Heat exchanger.

They've been in the BMW game for a long time and price was fair.

CSF would be my second choice.

I'm sure Mishi is a good one too but I prefer not to have Japanese parts on a German car. That's just me tho
I'm fairly certain Dinan and Mishimoto sources their heat exchangers from China when I researched their supply chains.

CSF is made in Indonesia.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I'm fairly certain Dinan and Mishimoto sources their heat exchangers from China when I researched their supply chains.

without getting into name brands, 99% of brands make their parts overseas. Does not mean much to be honest, you still have high-quality overseas parts and low-quality ones.

you can easily tell the difference by putting them next to each other, dont even have to install it

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #18
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I just ordered a Wagner top mount then I think I will do the mishi heat exchanger as they have different fin density it front of the DCT cooler.

I was getting 140deg IATs on 90 deg track days.

I should find out if it helps here in a few weeks.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
I just ordered a Wagner top mount then I think I will do the mishi heat exchanger as they have different fin density it front of the DCT cooler.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #20
IBFreeman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

You are correct on all points. The only US-made HX was AWE's coldfront made by Griffin but its not available anymore which SUCKS i am looking for one. Was the best HX that was available and timing wasn't on my side.

I posted in class. but if anyone has any leads on one, please LMK!

OP, swap the front, keep the top stock until alternative measures are proven necessary.

Edit: CSF can lick a sweaty scrotum. Trash brand, trash ethics, mediocre products.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog86 View Post
If I ever get one, it will be this
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #22
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:

Quote:

I got it on, nice piece, it's a lot bigger. I have a track event in 2 weeks and will be data logging most of the time.
Attached Images

F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 4