Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #23
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
Just got mine on the dyno. First pull was 621whp and 640 torque. Car was hot from driving all day so I think there might be a little more in there. But I’m happy as hell for pump gas. 27psi.
Appreciate 5
      11-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #24
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
Just got mine on the dyno. First pull was 621whp and 640 torque. Car was hot from driving all day so I think there might be a little more in there. But I’m happy as hell for pump gas. 27psi.
Impressive! Especially for pump gas. Mind listing your mods?
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #25
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Just installed the Vargas GC turbos on my 2018 F80 M3. I have had them on my car now for only a few days and i am on a base map. They spool up quick just like stock turbos and driveability is great !!! I have to say i am impressed so far and glad i chose the GC turbos and i cannot wait to start making some more boost !!! They pull hard up top !!!!!
      11-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #26
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
Just installed the Vargas GC turbos on my 2018 F80 M3. I have had them on my car now for only a few days and i am on a base map. They spool up quick just like stock turbos and driveability is great !!! I have to say i am impressed so far and glad i chose the GC turbos and i cannot wait to start making some more boost !!! They pull hard up top !!!!!
Who’s doing your tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #27
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Who’s doing your tuning.
wild guess but it might be F80 Paul
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:08 AM   #28
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Can you guys give more info on these upgraded turbos? I find the car very fast as is and even faster with my BM3 CS tune. I get that there may be parts of the rev range/throttle where maybe more power would be necessary, but then I just downshift and BAM, powaaa.

You guys that are updating your turbos, do you do it for the torque rush? Race track? What is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #29
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Who’s doing your tuning.
Per his signature, its F80 Paul

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #30
Maxf80M3
Boost Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightF82 View Post
Quote:
Just got mine on the dyno. First pull was 621whp and 640 torque. Car was hot from driving all day so I think there might be a little more in there. But I'm happy as hell for pump gas. 27psi.
Impressive! Especially for pump gas. Mind listing your mods?
Stock air box
Stock mid pipe
Vtt V2 complete solution
Vargas gc turbo
Catless downpipes
NGK plugs
Ssr chargepipes

Mine was tuned with Carey Jordan I'm around 27-29 psi on 93 pump , I'm sure I'm over the 600whp ... I've just installed my meth kit today , just waiting on my boost tap. Haven't run it yet as it's getting cold up here in toronto. . On 20" 285 Michelin P4S I'm having massive traction issues . It's probably wise to tune it next season.

I've decided to run meth more for safety and better knock prevention & consistency. I'm completely happy with the setup on pump. It's awesome !!!!!

Im undecided who to use for the next tune. . Carey was excellent no complaints . Hear so many great things about Paul too . Both have very different idea on where to spray meth and how much . After reading for hours I'm more confused then ever.

On one hand , Carey is saying spray into the jpipe one nozzle.

Paul has incredible success with spraying into the chargepipe. If I'm going to pull off my inter cooler and replace my jpipe may as well just go Port injection and do it right . Seems like everyone agrees Port injection is the proper way.

I'm planning a full install and write up of my turbo upgrade including dyno runs and dragy times .

As Far as Vargas GC or GC +

I absolutely love my Vargas GC turbos. They spool amazingly fast , I'm not pushing them to their max !!! and as far as I'm concerned they make more than enough power for this chassis. At this point I have no regrets with my Vargas gc purchase ....and the numbers don't lie . Opinions are like @ssholes .. I like facts .

Depending on your HP goals and build you can't go wrong with either one.
      11-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #31
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxf80M3 View Post
Stock air box
Stock mid pipe
Vtt V2 complete solution
Vargas gc turbo
Catless downpipes
NGK plugs
Ssr chargepipes

Mine was tuned with Carey Jordan I'm around 27-29 psi on 93 pump , I'm sure I'm over the 600whp ... I've just installed my meth kit today , just waiting on my boost tap. Haven't run it yet as it's getting cold up here in toronto. . On 20" 285 Michelin P4S I'm having massive traction issues . It's probably wise to tune it next season.

I've decided to run meth more for safety and better knock prevention & consistency. I'm completely happy with the setup on pump. It's awesome !!!!!

Im undecided who to use for the next tune. . Carey was excellent no complaints . Hear so many great things about Paul too . Both have very different idea on where to spray meth and how much . After reading for hours I'm more confused then ever.

On one hand , Carey is saying spray into the jpipe one nozzle.

Paul has incredible success with spraying into the chargepipe. If I'm going to pull off my inter cooler and replace my jpipe may as well just go Port injection and do it right . Seems like everyone agrees Port injection is the proper way.

I'm planning a full install and write up of my turbo upgrade including dyno runs and dragy times .

As Far as Vargas GC or GC +

I absolutely love my Vargas GC turbos. They spool amazingly fast , I'm not pushing them to their max !!! and as far as I'm concerned they make more than enough power for this chassis. At this point I have no regrets with my Vargas gc purchase ....and the numbers don't lie . Opinions are like @ssholes .. I like facts .

Depending on your HP goals and build you can't go wrong with either one.
Thanks for the info! I'm no expert, so please take my input as food for thought and not advice. From what I've read, there may be pros/cons to charge pipe vs J pipe. I've read that the charge pipe nozzle locations may have better distribution but may result in higher IATs and less impact on fueling needs. J pipe location may not distribute as evenly but has lower IATs and better for fueling. I've also read that nozzle location in the J Pipe may affect distribution, for example two nozzles opposite each other may not distribute as well as two consecutive nozzles. Both tuners seem to be top notch in the F8X world. This thread had some interesting info:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1645425

FWIW, there are five 9-second/stock motor F8X's and I believe there is a close split between Cary and F80Paul as the tuners. I believe all 5 are running Meth and GC/GC+ turbos and from everything I've gathered (as I've tried to talk to get input from several of them), they are all running relatively reliably at those power levels.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #32
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

AFAIK 4 of 'em are reg GC's and one is GC+.

They're going strong but obviously that sort of output is going to be on a kill tune.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #33
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'm no expert, so please take my input as food for thought and not advice. From what I've read, there may be pros/cons to charge pipe vs J pipe. I've read that the charge pipe nozzle locations may have better distribution but may result in higher IATs and less impact on fueling needs. J pipe location may not distribute as evenly but has lower IATs and better for fueling. I've also read that nozzle location in the J Pipe may affect distribution, for example two nozzles opposite each other may not distribute as well as two consecutive nozzles. Both tuners seem to be top notch in the F8X world. This thread had some interesting info:

FWIW, there are five 9-second/stock motor F8X's and I believe there is a close split between Cary and F80Paul as the tuners. I believe all 5 are running Meth and GC/GC+ turbos and from everything I've gathered (as I've tried to talk to get input from several of them), they are all running relatively reliably at those power levels.
This is unrelated to how the GC/GC+ perform, but just want to point out that every shortcut people take eventually leads into an expensive adventure.

Fuel Supplement:
Even fuel distribution with PI versus meth feed (assuming both systems are functioning well)

Reliability:
Kill mode on stock engine internals versus mild/moderate boost on forged internals with full valvetrain upgrade

Tuner Choice:
High trap speeds and low E.T.s for a handful of passes isn't a good way to assess a tuner's abilities. Everyone is strongly encouraged to do their own research on engine failures before deciding, as being able to properly calibrate a fast car, while maintaining reliability, is far more involved and challenging.

People need to understand that going fast for an extended period doesn't come cheap by any means.
Appreciate 4
      11-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #34
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
This is unrelated to how the GC/GC+ perform, but just want to point out that every shortcut people take eventually leads into an expensive adventure.

Fuel Supplement:
Even fuel distribution with PI versus meth feed (assuming both systems are functioning well)

Reliability:
Kill mode on stock engine internals versus mild/moderate boost on forged internals with full valvetrain upgrade

Tuner Choice:
High trap speeds and low E.T.s for a handful of passes isn't a good way to assess a tuner's abilities. Everyone is strongly encouraged to do their own research on engine failures before deciding, as being able to properly calibrate a fast car, while maintaining reliability, is far more involved and challenging.

People need to understand that going fast for an extended period doesn't come cheap by any means.
Agree, and thanks for keeping things in perspective.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #35
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Just saw another person ( M4NSTERR on Instagram) hit a 10.04sec @ 145MPH 1/4mi pass on Vargas GC turbos with Meth and e85 on stock DCT clutches a downpipe and no back seat at Atco Dragway. He had issues with his XPH Trans tune settings and only got one decent run in. But he definitely has himself a 9 sec. car!!!! Thats is about 7 or 8 cars on the s55 GC turbos running 9's 1/4mi......
You can also see his 1/4mi pass on Dragy !!!!!!!

Last edited by ssgm1x; 11-22-2020 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #36
Maxf80M3
Boost Addict
Canada
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
Just saw another person ( M4NSTERR on Instagram) hit a 10.04sec @ 145MPH 1/4mi pass on Vargas GC turbos with Meth and e85 on stock DCT clutches a downpipe and no back seat at Atco Dragway. He had issues with his XPH Trans tune settings and only got one decent run in. But he definitely has himself a 9 sec. car!!!! Thats is about 7 or 8 cars on the s55 GC turbos running 9's 1/4mi......
You can also see his 1/4mi pass on Dragy !!!!!!!
He has one fast car and holds a few stock and modified records . Also tuned by Paul Johnson .
      11-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #37
Savag303
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 COMP X-DRIVE

This is good info, I am looking at pulling the trigger on some GC soon and plan on running full E since its readily available in my area! Im at 5280 ft so i might make lower numbers but planning on getting at least 7-750whp!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #38
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Thanks for all the input guys, just purchased a set of GC's through Mike at XPH and will also purchase the EOS mani this week.

😁😁
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #39
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savag303 View Post
This is good info, I am looking at pulling the trigger on some GC soon and plan on running full E since its readily available in my area! Im at 5280 ft so i might make lower numbers but planning on getting at least 7-750whp!
Uncorrected 700 whp is no joke at 1 mile up!!!! GET IT!

Chris
Appreciate 1
M2C_OZ212.50
      11-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #40
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_OZ View Post
Thanks for all the input guys, just purchased a set of GC's through Mike at XPH and will also purchase the EOS mani this week.

����
nice!
Appreciate 1
M2C_OZ212.50
      11-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #41
M2C_OZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer2 View Post
Quote:

😁😁
bruh, 25% off black friday sale is in a couple of days. I hope you got a good deal.
Yes sir I got the 25% off 😁😁
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #42
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

😁😁
Thank you for the support and congrats!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
M2C_OZ212.50
Maxf80M3174.00
      11-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #43
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Quote:

Fuel Supplement:

Reliability:

Tuner Choice:

Fuel supplement: didn't understand, are you suggesting PI over meth?
      11-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #44
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

I suggest going with different turbos if you want to avoid headache. Some have good experience but it’s inconsistent at best. A box of chocolates with these
Appreciate 1
M2C_OZ212.50