European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-27-2022, 08:13 PM   #1
lozik
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Intake pipe plausibility

Hi guys!
After flashing Stage 1 with MHD on my 17' M4 I'm getting CEL and those errors in memory.
Exhaust valves are disconnected but those AirMass errors shouldn’t be present.
They come back after clearing, but nothing more happens with the car.
I have catless DPs, CSF intercooler and heat exchanger + full Akrapovic exhaust.
The car used to have a custom tune but I had to flash it to stock and put MHD instead.
Do you have any idea what is wrong?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Which intakes?

You probably have an air leak after a MAF.

Make sure the small black air tube connecting to the long intake tube hasn't slipped off, same for the other end that connects to the J pipe. It's best to lube the o-rings and inside the fitting to assure no leaks. My M mechanic said this tube is famous for leaks.

Sometimes with stock intakes if a clamp isn't in the proper groove some air can get sucked in there too.
      01-29-2022, 04:13 AM   #3
lozik
Rep

You might be right. I think that previous owner might have left stock Jpipe's plastik "zip tie" connector when changing the top IC because from above I can see that it isn't ideally connected.
I think that it would be best to replace OEM charge pipes and jpipe to aluminum in that case.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 07:21 AM   #4
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Crankcase vent heating will also cause check engine light. I would look at that electrical connector as well
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
lozik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
Crankcase vent heating will also cause check engine light. I would look at that electrical connector as well
Could you show me where to look for it?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozik View Post
You might be right. I think that previous owner might have left stock Jpipe's plastik "zip tie" connector when changing the top IC because from above I can see that it isn't ideally connected.
I think that it would be best to replace OEM charge pipes and jpipe to aluminum in that case.
If you're hunting the problem don't go changing things just yet. I don't see any problems with the plastic J, but some guys try to push it back on with the zip-clip installed. I like to reinstall the J with the zip removed so I can feel it seat well against the throttle body, then I rotate the J towards me, and last slide the zip back into the slot (should be easy).

The metal J looks nice (down where you can't see anyway) but the metal C-spring sometimes doesn't catch in the groove well. The zip-clip on the plastic one usually holds great. I've never heard of a plastic J breaking except for in ads from the vendors. For CPs…I like silicone.
      01-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #7
lozik
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozik View Post
If you're hunting the problem don't go changing things just yet. I don't see any problems with the plastic J, but some guys try to push it back on with the zip-clip installed. I like to reinstall the J with the zip removed so I can feel it seat well against the throttle body, then I rotate the J towards me, and last slide the zip back into the slot (should be easy).

The metal J looks nice (down where you can't see anyway) but the metal C-spring sometimes doesn't catch in the groove well. The zip-clip on the plastic one usually holds great. I've never heard of a plastic J breaking except for in ads from the vendors. For CPs…I like silicone.
I see your point. It would be best to smoke-check entire piping. I'll ask if the repair shop which is nearby has those necessary tools
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5392.50