Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
So having a 435 with a pass through-load and an M4 without, I have been studying what is needed to change it.....

1-Panel, partition, top # 51 47 7 293 945
1-Trim panel partition wall bottom # 51 47 293 946
1-Trim panel , bulkhead, interiors # 51 47 7 325 991
1-Insert,partition wall, middle # 51 47 7 363 430
1-Flap,theifproofing # 51 47 7 300 752

Don't ask me cost YET as I have not gotten that far...and all of the fasteners I expect to use over.

Will my dealer make any kind of reconciliation....????

Just like the wheel recall, we will have to wait and find out

Till next time
Thanks Jewels, great update! Some folks have been writing Maria @ BMWNA - will be interesting to hear what happens. More to come ...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I smell an F10 M5 bolster redux.
Quick summary?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
Techworks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Brilliant white m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quick summary?
When the F10 M5 was released, the marketing literature and US website indicated active and/or adjustable side bolsters. US spec cars didn't have this, and it created a lot of frustration because early adopters felt mislead.

BMW pulled the original marketing data to match what was actually shipped. I believe those that kept original screen shots and complained loud enough to BMW were compensated.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

That's great research and info.

I still find myself very curious why BMW didn't simply build them that way to begin with. This could be just a matter of retrofitting the parts, or there may be more to it. Take for example the lack of roof bar mounting nuts installed on cars equipped with the CF roof. It seems like they could have simply installed them (they did it for E92 M3s with CF roof after all), but for unknown reasons they didn't. And retrofitting, while theoretically possible (though admittedly probably not easy), has unknown consequences.

It will be very intriguing to see just what (if anything) surprising turns up if and when someone digs into their F83 and removes whatever currently sits in place of the parts you list below.

Quote:
So having a 435 with a pass through-load and an M4 without, I have been studying what is needed to change it.....

Don't ask me cost YET as I have not gotten that far...and all of the fasteners I expect to use over.

Till next time
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #27
Want2BS8ed
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi/2015 M4 Convertibl

I am not pleased about this either.

I take my car in this morning for its 1,200 mile service and will ask in person - I am still waiting on a response from my CA from Monday...

M
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #28
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:

Till next time
UPDATE:
I was told from my very efficient service person, that the parts as mentioned above would be Approx. $180. As to how this goes in the future or who is going to pay, that discussion hasn't happened yet
Oh, the parts are not on the shelves and most likely have to be produced for this order...so who knows when they will arrive
To be continued....
      12-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #29
crashtestdummy81
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: YMB F83

just had to check my car as this thread made me a little paranoid.
I do have the thorough loading but it had to be ordered as an extra.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #30
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdummy81 View Post
Was told that the pass through could not be had in the states...most of us thought it was standard as it showed up in all of the pictures at the USA previews of the M4.
      12-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdummy81 View Post
That's good news since it confirms there is no technical limitation, or so it would seem, unless there is something different about the way US cars are built in this specific part of the car (which seems unlikely).

If I had to guess I'd bet this came down to some esoteric, obtuse regulatory matter, and BMW was playing it safe. I don't have a guess as to what it might have been specifically, but it just seems like the type of situation where legalities prevail over what would otherwise have been common sense. Either that or BMW NA screwed up when specifying the standard equipment list for their F83s builds which I suppose is also possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #32
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's good news since it confirms there is no technical limitation, or so it would seem, unless there is something different about the way US cars are built in this specific part of the car (which seems unlikely).

If I had to guess I'd bet this came down to some esoteric, obtuse regulatory matter, and BMW was playing it safe. I don't have a guess as to what it might have been specifically, but it just seems like the type of situation where legalities prevail over what would otherwise have been common sense. Either that or BMW NA screwed up when specifying the standard equipment list for their F83s builds which I suppose is also possible.
My 435m has the pass through..so I doubt it comes down to "regulatory matter"...more like non-availability of sections or good old penny pinching
      12-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My 435m has the pass through..so I doubt it comes down to "regulatory matter"...more like non-availability of sections or good old penny pinching
Right, what I was getting at with the words "esoteric and obtuse" is that it would have to be something very specific to the M4. Especially when it comes to safety systems (which are present in and around the seats), things like this can manifest themselves in surprising ways. With the E90/E92, for example, the North American M3 shared the seat bottoms with 3 Series instead of getting the better bolstered ones from ROW. Edit: memory failed me - it was due to the slight difference in air-bag sensor positions that would require the re-testing. The North American E93 M3 (ironically) actually did get the same seats as ROW since all E93s, be they 3 series or M3, used the same, more supportive bolsters.

I strongly doubt it was penny pinching in the strict sense (I.e. just not wanting to spring for the parts themselves) since if that were the case there are dozens of other ways to de-content the car vs. a 4 Series, many of which would probably be more likely to go unnoticed unlike the pass-through has. But, it's true that cost would ultimately be the primary factor if it came down to a re-certification or re-engineering issue with respect to what I say above.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #34
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right, what I was getting at with the words "esoteric and obtuse" is that it would have to be something very specific to the M4.
Seems like 3 possibilites ...

(1.) Cheap-out. This seems improbable for the reasons you laid out ... too many other ways to go that would be less obvious.

(2.) Regulation issue. This also seems improbable since the US 4 series has it, Euro M4s have it, the feature is listed on the BMWNA site, and it's clearly a surprise to people including BMW apparently
Quote:
Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 3, 2014 6:00pm EDT/3:00pm PDT. . . The all-new BMW M4 Convertible arrives in US showrooms late this summer ... Even bulky items can be transported with the BMW M4 Convertible. A flat and level storage area can be utilized when the backrest of the rear bench seat is folded down. The load-through feature, which is standard in the US, makes even more space available: Either a wide opening between the rear passenger compartment and the trunk, or a smaller opening, for skis for example, when four people are seated in the vehicle.
(3.) Configuration error. BMWNA orders should've all had the load-through but that config option was goofed and the first set of F83s were built without the option.

I think it's #3 and now they've got to figure out how the config error happened, what the fair remediation is, and who's going to pay for it. and, of course, what to do about the load-through config for future orders.

Last edited by GrussGott; 12-06-2014 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #35
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

(1.) Cheap-out. This seems improbable for the reasons you laid out ... too many other ways to go that would be less obvious.

(2.) Regulation issue. This also seems improbable since the US 4 series has it, Euro M4s have it, the feature is listed on the BMWNA site, and it's clearly a surprise to people including BMW apparently

(3.) Configuration error. BMWNA orders should've all had the load-through but that config option was goofed and the first set of F83s were built without the option.

I think it's #3 and now they've got to figure out how the config error happened, what the fair remediation is, and who's going to pay for it. and, of course, what to do about the load-through config for future orders.
VERY WELL PUT
      12-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #36
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

(1.) Cheap-out.
(2.) Regulation issue.
(3.) Configuration error.
I completely agree with you. I suppose it's my cynicism and past experiences with oddities like this that are ultimately influencing my thoughts on this. I've learned over the years that just because something is in Europe or is on a lesser model (or both) doesn't mean it will be in the US on the M3, and that sometimes the reasons for the discrepancies can be inane at best.

I didn't realize we had any BMW employees expressing surprise or other opinions about this yet, but that does suggest it could be a mix-up. I mentioned that possibility in an early post too, and it certainly would not be the first time for something like this. Though, if they are just reacting to the contradiction between the press material and the actual product, well, they haven't been around long enough.

I'm sure this will be resolved quickly if it is indeed a simple matter of retrofitting the correct parts. I hope that is the case and that this is cleared up for you all soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #37
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sure this will be resolved quickly if it is indeed a simple matter of retrofitting the correct parts. I hope that is the case and that this is cleared up for you all soon.
This happened to me 15 years ago with the new Audi A6 - the north america A6s were supposed to come with heated seats, but didn't. Ultimately Audi paid us all $750.

In this case I'd much rather have the retrofit!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #38
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This happened to me 15 years ago with the new Audi A6 - the north america A6s were supposed to come with heated seats, but didn't. Ultimately Audi paid us all $750.

In this case I'd much rather have the retrofit!
I've already put the parts on order...what ever happens hopefully will be soon.
My feeling is that I need to have this pass through for my occupational routine and I perceive the parts taking over 1 month for sure.
      12-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #39
Want2BS8ed
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi/2015 M4 Convertibl

If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost of the parts to retrofit?

Thanks,

M
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #40
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2BS8ed View Post

Thanks,

M
They told me approx. $180 with me using the original push pins and screws??
      12-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #41
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2BS8ed View Post

Thanks,

M
Well, you know, if you have to ask the price...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #42
drewsky
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SO Vert

Wishing this was easy as the fantasy of skis threaded through the back seat of a F83 would be very nice.

From Russ at BMW Portland (who btw is an amazing PA):

Ok so looking at my catalog, it says that it's an option, but in talking with sales it's not something that you could order, so I have sent an email to BMW NA parts group to see what the solution is. It lists the parts I can order to make it happen which is about $750 in parts without the labor to install it, however most of the parts required are not on the face of the planet at the moment, none in the US none in Germany. So while I could order everything I think it needs I don't have any idea when they would arrive, nor do I know if that includes everything you need to make it work. So at this point I'm waiting to hear back from BMW and we will go from there. If you care enough to do so you may want to update that forum thread you sent me seeing as the pricing is MASSIVELY wrong.

Number 1, 4 and 6 are what is in the car now, Number 2, 3, 5, 7, 8 are what you need to do it correctly. Plus all the clips and rivets.

I just heard back from BMW, and according to them the parts I quoted are the correct parts to resolve it, and according to them they will be available in Germany the end of the month, which on a normal order gets to us 3-6 weeks after it ships from Germany. Let me know if you would like to order them up or not, and if you would want us to install them I can get you a labor quote on doing so just let me know.

Anyone other thinking is appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #43
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They told me approx. $180 with me using the original push pins and screws??
Sorry if I have been away from this tread for a while...but the latest has been taken up on another site "Bimmerfest BMW forum"

Yes the price is more like $750...but who even thinks we are going to actually pay for something that was sold to us as being standard on our vehicles.
      01-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #44
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry if I have been away from this tread for a while...but the latest has been taken up on another site "Bimmerfest BMW forum"

Yes the price is more like $750...but who even thinks we are going to actually pay for something that was sold to us as being standard on our vehicles.

Good news M4 Vert drivers...It's OFFICAL...BMW is stepping up to the plate and is going to replace the trunk wall with the pass thru.

Offical word will not hit your dealer till around the beginning of Feb....YAH