Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Help - Suspicion of Tuning S 0777 and IRAP Session

So I bought a CPO'd 2018 M4 in June of this year.

I recently had an issue where I experienced DCT hesitation and shift lag in some gears. I also had problem with the steering as well... sport plus felt like comfort.

Took it to BMW and shop foreman said "FAULT CODE FOR SUSPICTION OF TUNING S 0777." They had to consult engineers at BMW NA in New Jersey to fix the problem - they also performed an irap session (I could barely find any info on this).

They said it shows I have tuned my car, and shows there were over 20 entries with the fault code. I asked them if they could see what was uploaded and when it was done, since I have kept the car completely stock and have not done anything with it. Service advisor said they aren't able to tell any dates or what was uploaded.

I was told that CPO'd cars were never tuned. I asked my service advisor and he said they recently (in September) are able to tell if a car is tuned even if it is flashed back to stock (people were tuning, breaking shit and claiming items under warranty, so that's why they had to do this.)

So in my case, since I bought the car in June, they were not able to tell. I was pretty sure the sales person told me to pass CPO a car cannot be tuned. Did he lie? Was there something I am unaware of?

They reverted everything back to stock and fixed everything. They did not charge me and it was covered under warranty since it was the previous owner that must have placed the software/tune.

Now I'm worried about my CPO warranty, warranty in general, and the car mechanically. I bought the car CPO for peace of mind, but now it seems like I'm losing peace of mind. I never tuned my car (it's 100% stock), my car has always been in my possession, and I am the only driver. They could not tell me when/what was uploaded to the car, but the software that was on it caused the problems I was having.

Should I be worried about future problems or anything else?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I wonder since they flashed the car back to OE specs they can notate it in your file so as long as it doesn’t show any DME tampering post service date, you’d be covered still. May be worth asking the service manager.

I’d loop the sales manager and or sales person on the discussion if needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Don't know what you're worried about? BMW reverted everything and covered your warranty claim so unless they told you your factory warranty and or CPO were voided I think you are OK.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      11-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I would definitely be concerned about the crank hub. There's no real way for you to know the degree to which it was tuned (if it was in fact tuned), or if it was driven hard with a lot of kickdowns, etc. Check out the drivetrain subsection where you can read up on the issue.

Can be mitigated with a very cheap crank hub bolt capture plate (about $400 total most places), or you can go whole hog and get the crank hub replaced along with the capture plate solution (closer to $5k) that should leave you completely covered, unless you're going for over 600whp at some point...

If your crank hub bolt backs out, the hub itself can slip, you'll lose timing, and you'll at least need a new crank hub, assuming it doesn't damage anything. If it does, it might be repairable, or you could need a new motor.

Ask me how I know...

That said, even if that does occur, and you bring it to the dealer you've worked with, they may goodwill part or all of repairs, particularly since you didn't do any of the tuning yourself. Would be up to BMWNA.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

What I wanna know is...does it feel slower now?
Appreciate 1
White3401383.50
      11-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I wonder since they flashed the car back to OE specs they can notate it in your file so as long as it doesn’t show any DME tampering post service date, you’d be covered still. May be worth asking the service manager.

I’d loop the sales manager and or sales person on the discussion if needed.
Spoke with assistant service manager. He said all is good, my warranty is in tact and all, and that I have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Don't know what you're worried about? BMW reverted everything and covered your warranty claim so unless they told you your factory warranty and or CPO were voided I think you are OK.
Yes, but I thought cars sold as CPO never had a tune. Was I misled or lied to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I would definitely be concerned about the crank hub. There's no real way for you to know the degree to which it was tuned (if it was in fact tuned), or if it was driven hard with a lot of kickdowns, etc. Check out the drivetrain subsection where you can read up on the issue.

Can be mitigated with a very cheap crank hub bolt capture plate (about $400 total most places), or you can go whole hog and get the crank hub replaced along with the capture plate solution (closer to $5k) that should leave you completely covered, unless you're going for over 600whp at some point...

If your crank hub bolt backs out, the hub itself can slip, you'll lose timing, and you'll at least need a new crank hub, assuming it doesn't damage anything. If it does, it might be repairable, or you could need a new motor.

Ask me how I know...

That said, even if that does occur, and you bring it to the dealer you've worked with, they may goodwill part or all of repairs, particularly since you didn't do any of the tuning yourself. Would be up to BMWNA.
Yes, it will remain a mystery unless I can contact the previous owner and ask. I am still wondering why it was sold CPO if it was previously tuned? Doesn't tuning void the CPO process? I'm also paranoid about the crank hub and all. My CPO warranty ends in 1.5 years, so I have some time to think about the CBC and Crank Hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
What I wanna know is...does it feel slower now?
It feels more solid now. It does not feel slower, it actually feels faster... lol.
DCT was hesitating and had lag shift. Now it's crisp and fast like it's supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #7
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

FFS man it's because they CPO'd it without doing whatever is really required to CPO it. Otherwise they would figured it was tuned and not CPO'd it.

If you are losing sleep over it take it up with the dealer and have them confirm with BMWNA on your behalf. In all honesty some random dudes
on a forum aren't going to answer your questions with anything but conjecture.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I think as long as they are covering it under warranty and you are not at fault or blamed, then keep the car - if you have other issues, then think about getting rid of it.

Guy at work had the same thing happen to his Infiniti. He was SOL - they had already gotten rid of his trade and would only offer him his money back - leaving him with no car. They have put it back to stock but he still has these weird issues every now an then. Due to the tune his CPOd car had? Maybe. But per Infiniti (the dealer at least), they don't look for tunes when CPOing a car.

That MIGHT have been the case with BMW when you got your car. Today, the minute the car is hooked up to the computer at the dealer, it checks (per what I've read here). So if it did happen in the past, it won't happen in the future

And I would not worry about the crank hub - you have stock power now and should be fine - and who knows, maybe your car wasn't tuned at all.

Short story, don't lose sleep over it - unless you keep having issues
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
FFS man it's because they CPO'd it without doing whatever is really required to CPO it. Otherwise they would figured it was tuned and not CPO'd it.

If you are losing sleep over it take it up with the dealer and have them confirm with BMWNA on your behalf. In all honesty some random dudes
on a forum aren't going to answer your questions with anything but conjecture.
Hey! That’s completely rude....

To the women who also frequent the forums
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep

Hi, I’m Karen. My vagina hurts.

Okay seriously though thanks for the replies. I just wanted someone to hold my hand, tell me everything is gonna be okay and that my engine isn’t going to blow up because of the tune I never knew about/was never supposed to be there.
Appreciate 1
f80er2056.00
      12-03-2020, 05:38 AM   #11
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I honestly think if you are going to tune after what just occurred, that you almost have a perfect scenario. But I know you don't plan to.
Appreciate 0