Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #23
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettjusmc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
My daily m4 had moton, kw cs 3ways, and now has ohlins ttx. Moton is good but too much noise and hard to adjust. Kw cs 3way damping feels hard all the ways. Ttx is far better than any of those but yet the price is not so friendly.
Are the Ohlins TTX only one model? https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2015...x-pro-bmr-gr00

Although I have no doubt these are an awesome system, are they a great daily driver shock/system? I know they are adjustable, but their advertisement doesn't mention anything about streetability. And you are on point about the price. However, if I could have a car that drove like a dream on crummy local roads and on the highway, I'd pull the trigger.
The fact that 90% of ohlins ttx on the road are custom build by PSI performance shock inc https://performanceshock.com at NorCal. It's perfect for daily as it is soft at low speed and firm at high speed. The price tag on wholesale are around 9500 for a 2 ways ttx. Also ttx, moton and ast are all true coilover unlike kw or other brand are half true coilover
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #24
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My daily m4 had moton, kw cs 3ways, and now has ohlins ttx. Moton is good but too much noise and hard to adjust. Kw cs 3way damping feels hard all the ways. Ttx is far better than any of those but yet the price is not so friendly.
Are the Ohlins TTX only one model? https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2015...x-pro-bmr-gr00

Although I have no doubt these are an awesome system, are they a great daily driver shock/system? I know they are adjustable, but their advertisement doesn't mention anything about streetability. And you are on point about the price. However, if I could have a car that drove like a dream on crummy local roads and on the highway, I'd pull the trigger.
The fact that 90% of ohlins ttx on the road are custom build by PSI performance shock inc https://performanceshock.com at NorCal. It's perfect for daily as it is soft at low speed and firm at high speed. The price tag on wholesale are around 9500 for a 2 ways ttx. Also ttx, moton and ast are all true coilover unlike kw or other brand are half true coilover
My AST 5100 are OEM divorced rear setup although they do offer a true coilover option for the rear as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #25
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My AST 5100 are OEM divorced rear setup although they do offer a true coilover option for the rear as well.
That is exactly I stated. Ttx, moton and ast are the true coilover for f8x
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #26
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right, just clarifying that you can also get the AST's in divorced rear for those that don't want to go with a true coilover rear
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #27
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right, just clarifying that you can also get the AST's in divorced rear for those that don't want to go with a true coilover rear
Can 5100 upgrade to 5200? I know 52 can upgrade to 53 but not sure about 5100
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 12:29 AM   #28
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can 5100 upgrade to 5200? I know 52 can upgrade to 53 but not sure about 5100
Good question. I doubt it. I like the 5100 to keep things simple with only being 1 way adjustable, and doubt due to the 5200s being 2-way, you can upgrade a set of 5100. My 5100 came with front progressive springs for OE shock mounts but AST also has linear front springs to run with the 5100s if desired, which I purchased separately
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #29
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I ride on 19s since I live near Philly and all the crap roads. Stock suspension was too stiff and MP-HAS fixed me right.

Hey Jimmy! Who asked you?!!??!

Ya man. I feel ya there. I am on the 513Ms and wouldn't go up. The other thing most people don't know is that I gone blown up by and IED, I am an amputee that suffers from a good deal of pain, so ride quality goes a reeeeeally long way. Eventually, the 513Ms are going to be my winter wheels, and I am gonna go with the 18in HRE 300 Classics as my summer set.

I think the KW-HAS kit is good, don't get me twisted, I just wanna make it better if I can!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #30
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Good to see you posting again bro. It might be easier to find a replacement set of Base dampers for installing new MP than to press the KW hats off and re-press MP.

Much respect to all that serve and served!
      11-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #31
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

That is why I went with 19's and not 20's when I got the Vorsteiners.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #32
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good to see you posting again bro. It might be easier to find a replacement set of Base dampers for installing new MP than to press the KW hats off and re-press MP.

Much respect to all that serve and served!
Jimmy can you walk me through what you said a little more? With regards to replacing/upgrading dampeners I am completely green to that and have no idea what is available, other than that Bilstein may make a dampener. Maybe replacing them could be the answer. Can you explain in more detail what you mean about going from the KW to the MP? Is the MP HAS kit decidedly better (If it is, I didn't know that, and I bought this car w the KW kit)? What do you mean about pressing and repressing hats? I assume it has something to do with installing and pressing the springs in, but really have no idea...

One thing I am going to do very soon is find one of the guys like Alex at Alpine or someone else who can flash my dampeners to the CS setup. I've heard several guys say that makes a substantial difference w/their HAS kits. May as well try that first to see if it answers the mail.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #33
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good question. I doubt it. I like the 5100 to keep things simple with only being 1 way adjustable, and doubt due to the 5200s being 2-way, you can upgrade a set of 5100. My 5100 came with front progressive springs for OE shock mounts but AST also has linear front springs to run with the 5100s if desired, which I purchased separately
Rborane, you guys clearly are tracking on the Ohlin setups. Can you school me up a little more (I wasn't entirely following your conversation, new to suspension) on the 5100, 52, 53 conversation. I assume that is regarding the TTX packages, but I haven't seen those numbers referenced on the Ohlin site. I am not sure I am willing to give up the EDC, but right now I think it is a really good opportunity to learn from you guys, and see what you all think would help answer my requirements. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #34
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can get a ttx set up as a divorced set up out back. I have that on my GTS and an E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #35
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

I like comp pack with CS coding and Eibach Euro V1 for daily use. 19s in front 20s rear. I think it’s hard to beat.

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals

Last edited by YKIGI; 11-29-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
_Timm334.00
      11-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #36
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The KW-HAS and MP-HAS look very similar (both made by KW) but the MP springs are street-comfort oriented while the KW are track-stiff oriented.

The stock EDC dampers are also different between Base model and the "sport" ZCP/CS. Again here, Base are street-comfort and the Sport more track-performance. Only difference between ZCP and CS is the "coding" for rebound and such. Base don't really take the CS or ZCP codes right (feels like Sport+ hard).

When you install a HAS kit, on the front dampers you need to remove the stock spring perches and replace with the height adjust sleeves. Usually this takes a hydraulic press to do install right, and it takes a skilled person to "press off" the KW sleeve. Better to leave the sleeves on the KW and sell the KW kit with sleeves attached to your old dampers. You should look on YouTube for "Tommy L HAS install" and watch his video. You'll see how it goes together.
      11-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #37
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
You can get a ttx set up as a divorced set up out back. I have that on my GTS and an E92 M3.
I thought ohlins didn't fit on the billet knuckle for GTS' I'd be curious to hear your experience with them over the KW's
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #38
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4d0w View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
I thought ohlins didn't fit on the billet knuckle for GTS' I'd be curious to hear your experience with them over the KW's
They do. You just need to have a different sleeve made for them. PSI did the whole thing. Made it pretty easy. Anyone who says you can't keep the billet knuckles just didn't want to put the time in or went through the wrong channels.

I'm still working on set up but the Ohlins stuff is top notch. I'm running 800 pound front springs and 1100 pound rears and it's stiffer than the KW stuff on the street but is more supple. It's never harsh, even on really big hits. It soaks up everything you can throw at it and then some which was really impressive considering how poorly it should ride on paper.

On track it's similar. I haven't been on track with the stiffer front springs and I was having too much roll up front with the first spring rate I tried; 571 pounds; (295 front tire) so the grip wasn't quite there and I was having issues with the diff (completely unrelated to the suspension) so I don't have an apples to apples comparison on track relative to the KW's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #39
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Rborane, you guys clearly are tracking on the Ohlin setups. Can you school me up a little more (I wasn't entirely following your conversation, new to suspension) on the 5100, 52, 53 conversation. I assume that is regarding the TTX packages, but I haven't seen those numbers referenced on the Ohlin site. I am not sure I am willing to give up the EDC, but right now I think it is a really good opportunity to learn from you guys, and see what you all think would help answer my requirements. Thanks!
Those are the different suspensions which AST offers. AST is the same as MOTON. I run the AST 5100's which are 1-way adjustable. 5200s are 2-way and 5300s are 3-way adjustable. 1 way is better for my setup to keep it simple and use as a daily / occasional track
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #40
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The KW-HAS and MP-HAS look very similar (both made by KW) but the MP springs are street-comfort oriented while the KW are track-stiff oriented.

The stock EDC dampers are also different between Base model and the "sport" ZCP/CS. Again here, Base are street-comfort and the Sport more track-performance. Only difference between ZCP and CS is the "coding" for rebound and such. Base don't really take the CS or ZCP codes right (feels like Sport+ hard).

When you install a HAS kit, on the front dampers you need to remove the stock spring perches and replace with the height adjust sleeves. Usually this takes a hydraulic press to do install right, and it takes a skilled person to "press off" the KW sleeve. Better to leave the sleeves on the KW and sell the KW kit with sleeves attached to your old dampers. You should look on YouTube for "Tommy L HAS install" and watch his video. You'll see how it goes together.
I did not know that about the KW versus the MP kit. That is really really good information. Wonder if it is possible to just get the MP springs and swap em' out.... I am sure that would be hard to find, but wonder if it is a thing...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #41
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those are the different suspensions which AST offers. AST is the same as MOTON. I run the AST 5100's which are 1-way adjustable. 5200s are 2-way and 5300s are 3-way adjustable. 1 way is better for my setup to keep it simple and use as a daily / occasional track

Oh gotcha! Thanks and understand now!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #42
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am in a Comp, I think I am gonna see if coding helps. If it's an economical solution I might as well give it a try...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #43
garrettjusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
I went with Kubax86 as I wanted the full screen CarPlay as well. It really did make a very noticeable difference. The dampening felt a bit sloppy and uncontrolled before the change.

If I were going to spend any remarkable time at the track I'd get coil overs, but that will just eat in to my Pcar GT3 savings. I'm really trying to pace myself with the mods on this car 🙂

I shot Kubax86 a note and waiting on his response. Thanks for the reference.
      11-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #44
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

You're welcome! Hopefully that helps, it's worth a try. Even if you go with EDC compatible coilovers later the CS coding is the way to go.
Appreciate 1