ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Vader97
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Help! White smoke and rough idle. Not sure what the problem is

Car was doing fine all month, just went to get gas and run an errand and all of a sudden it almost felt/sounded like I was having misfires. Throttle felt sluggish, I happened to look up at the rear view mirror and saw white smoke while I was driving home. Didn't get any errors or drivetrain malfunctions (yet). Car has been on a BM3 Stage 2 93 Multimap tune for a while. However I was checking through Bimmerlink and found a 20A201 error a few days ago. That popped up twice, not sure if that has anything to do with the current issue. Opened the hood and everything seemed to be shaking a lot more than usual intermittently.

Attached are links to videos from 20 minutes ago when I was trying to get the car home:

Last video is a shot of the IC reservoir, couldn't clearly see the markings so please advise if coolant level looks low. In the video the coolant seems to be sitting barely at the base of the yellow indicator.

Thank you guys in advance

Last edited by Vader97; 09-10-2021 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader97 View Post
Car was doing fine all month, just went to get gas and run an errand and all of a sudden it almost felt/sounded like I was having misfires. Throttle felt sluggish, I happened to look up at the rear view mirror and saw white smoke while I was driving home. Didn't get any errors or drivetrain malfunctions (yet). Car has been on a BM3 Stage 2 93 Multimap tune for a while. However I was checking through Bimmerlink and found a 20A201 error a few days ago. That popped up twice, not sure if that has anything to do with the current issue. Opened the hood and everything seemed to be shaking a lot more than usual intermittently.

Attached are links to videos from 20 minutes ago when I was trying to get the car home:

Last video is a shot of the IC reservoir, couldn't clearly see the markings so please advise if coolant level looks low. In the video the coolant seems to be sitting barely at the base of the yellow indicator.

Thank you guys in advance
Coolant is low. Supposed to over that little toilet seat part looking thing. You might have the intercooler leak. Did you paint your intercooler? That's not an OEM finish.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #3
Gertsee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Definitely an internal too mount intercooler leak. Consistent with code you got as well. I'd have that intercooler replaced ASAP. VRSF makes a solid aftermarket intercooler
Appreciate 0