proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
M4 vs. ND Miata

So my 15' M4 DCT lease is ending in about a month. The residual value is pretty high but I am looking to hopefully negotiate it down to around 40-45k which is also my budget.

I have loved the M4 and it was my first real fun car. I daily drive it in LA traffic. My commute is about an hour drive each way. I also take it occasionally to canyon drives on the weekend and I have been to a few track days. I have however, been longing for a new and different experience.

I don't need rear seats or much practicality since I am on my own. So a two seater would be perfectly fine. The M4 in terms of power is amazing but I definitely want a lighter and more nimble car.

The ND miata has caught my eye because of the price and the rave reviews. I know I am considering two completely different cars right now but this would be a different experience for me that I have been looking for. There aren't many sports cars on the market as light as the miata. It has kind of a carefree attitude going for it which is what is appealing to me. There's no other car that kind of competes with it besides maybe a BRZ which i'm not a huge fan of. Was never a huge fan of the looks of older gen mx5's but the new ND and especially the RF is great IMO.

I know there will be a difference between power but I am curious to see how much I will miss that power. The M4 was a perfect DD and I am a bit worried at the fact that driving a manual every day for my commute might suck but because of the light clutch it might not be so bad.

I have yet to drive the ND miata, but I have driven an NA. The NA was definitely a fun and raw experience but I was extremely underwhelmed by the power which is not a surprise. I'm hoping the ND will be sufficient enough for me.

I've looked into a few other cars such as the cayman and the M2. As far as the cayman goes, it's amazing but my dad owns a 981 which he let's me borrow pretty often so it wouldn't be a hugely new experience. I am also looking for a new or lightly used CPO and it's also pretty difficult to find one under 40k thats a 2015+.

Anyway, just want to get some of your guys thoughts on the ND!

Last edited by HS_M2C; 05-14-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Throttleblip
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWboy6 View Post
So my 15' M4 DCT lease is ending in about a month. The residual value is pretty high but I am looking to hopefully negotiate it down to around 40-45k which is also my budget.

I have loved the M4 and it was my first real fun car. I daily drive it in LA traffic. My commute is about an hour drive each way. I also take it occasionally to canyon drives on the weekend and I have been to a few track days. I have however, been longing for a new and different experience.

I don't need rear seats or much practicality since I am on my own. So a two seater would be perfectly fine. The M4 in terms of power is amazing but I definitely want a lighter and more nimble car.

The ND miata has caught my eye because of the price and the rave reviews. I know I am considering two completely different cars right now but this would be a different experience for me that I have been looking for. There aren't many sports cars on the market as light as the miata. It has kind of a carefree attitude going for it which is what is appealing to me. There's no other car that kind of competes with it besides maybe a BRZ which i'm not a huge fan of.

I know there will be a difference between power but I am curious to see how much I will miss that power. The M4 was a perfect DD and I am a bit worried at the fact that driving a manual every day for my commute might suck but because of the light clutch it might not be so bad.

I have yet to drive the ND miata, but I have driven an NA. The NA was definitely a fun and raw experience but I was extremely underwhelmed by the power which is not a surprise. I'm hoping the ND will be sufficient enough for me.

I've looked into a few other cars such as the cayman and the M2. As far as the cayman goes, it's amazing but my dad owns a 981 which he let's me borrow pretty often so it wouldn't be a hugely new experience. I am also looking for a new or lightly used CPO and it's also pretty difficult to find one under 40k thats a 2015+.

Anyway, just want to get some of your guys thoughts on the ND!
Have you considered the soon to be launched Z4?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
HS_M2C
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttleblip View Post

Yes! this is pretty appealing to me! As well as the upcoming Supra. But there aren't any confirmed price or performance figures as far as I know. Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Throttleblip
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP 2016

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttleblip View Post

Yes! this is pretty appealing to me! As well as the upcoming Supra. But there aren't any confirmed price or performance figures as far as I know. Any update on this?
I'm guessing the same 4.0i engine as the 440i with 320hp and an MSRP if aprox 50k maybe
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

The 6cyl e89 z4 were closer to $60k

OP, sounds like it's mostly a street car. You'll notice and be disappointed

I'd get an s2k or modded nc Miata so at least you'll have the cost savings to make yourself feel better

Btw I have an NA 1.8 spec Miata and really enjoy it, but that's because its mostly track and canyons. I get annoyed with the lack of power
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Gobz911turbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I think for a daily, you can't go wrong with a PDK 987.2 Boxster if you don't want a manual. Otherwise, if you're looking for roadsters, maybe look into an MR2 Spyder and the Honda S2000. The ND is definitely a quick car with a lot of creature comforts, with a light clutch, so I think you could definitely live with it. They should also have a hill start feature which will lock the brakes on inclines so you don't roll back when engaging the clutch from a dead stop.

Also, have you thought about the mid 2000's Z4 with the 3.0? They might be pretty engaging.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
sherry_f33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 15' 428i

have you considered an f33? Great for autox
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:

For some reason the Supra looks better to me than the shark attack. Probably in price as well if one was to consider both.
      05-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
Gobz911turbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
For some reason the Supra looks better to me than the shark attack. Probably in price as well if one was to consider both.
Yeah me too. Also the Supra has all that heritage to go with it
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

2004 to 2007 Z4’s are practically free these days, I got one for $7.5k that I trash like there’s no tomorrow. Less than $15k for a pristine example.

Or a Z4M, a big step up, raw, magnificent, for around $25k. Values are on the up so you’d be driving a free car for a few years essentially.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
MicaCeli
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
2000 996 C4  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2001 B5 S4 Avant  [0.00]
2019 ND will have 180+ hp a higher redline AND a TELESCOPING steering wheel. Call up karcepts and with another 6k or so you will have a STR Autocross car that will decimate all.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #12
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

OP, I think you will be much happier with an AP2 (2004-2008) Honda S2000 if you are looking into the Miata. I got to spend some hours with a Miata with a 6MT. I can tell you, the only thing that will come close to the feel of the damn-near close to perfect shifter is the Honda S2000's. If the Miata had some juice (either the engine from the Mazdaspeed 3 or a high-revving 4 banger) it would be different, but with the power it has, after the honeymoon phase, I think you are going to want out....way the hell out.
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #13
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

They're bumping the power of the NDs for 2019 (or is it 18). Either way, they'll get a power bump soon which will help immensely.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Do we know how that new ND engine will respond to the usual I/h/e mods? Older one was not bad

+1 on s2k but good luck finding a clean one
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 10:27 PM   #15
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I love our '16 Miata with the track pack! Great driver's car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 03:39 AM   #16
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I'm in an M3 and every time I test drive an MX-5 (Miata) I think, I could give up the power for this lightness. The body roll isn't ideal, but for the money, it's a great car. Eager to see the new Z4/Supra, too. Oh, since we're comparing all, the Tesla Model 3 Performance is also on my list to watch, and, while we're at it, the Taycan. But yes, I think that Miata would still be fun. As a daily, could you live with the manual transmission? It feels like the only option in that car, in Club Spec.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #17
HS_M2C
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350 View Post
I'm in an M3 and every time I test drive an MX-5 (Miata) I think, I could give up the power for this lightness. The body roll isn't ideal, but for the money, it's a great car. Eager to see the new Z4/Supra, too. Oh, since we're comparing all, the Tesla Model 3 Performance is also on my list to watch, and, while we're at it, the Taycan. But yes, I think that Miata would still be fun. As a daily, could you live with the manual transmission? It feels like the only option in that car, in Club Spec.
Yeah I would only consider the ND in a manual. I test drove it and I feel that I might be alright in daily driving because the clutch is light. I'm still not so sure because im in hour long traffic twice everyday and there are quite a few hills. Plus i'm not super experienced driving a manual since I never owned one.
Appreciate 1
IS350117.00
      07-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think jury is still out on whether to get the club package or spend the money on aftermarket parts.

You'll need to plan to modify and be realistic about how you use the car

From my experience, the closer the car is to track only usage and full competition prep, the happier you'll be. The more street usage the more chances you will curse the lack of power
Appreciate 1
IS350117.00
      07-04-2018, 06:58 PM   #19
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
I think jury is still out on whether to get the club package or spend the money on aftermarket parts.

You'll need to plan to modify and be realistic about how you use the car

From my experience, the closer the car is to track only usage and full competition prep, the happier you'll be. The more street usage the more chances you will curse the lack of power
I think you'll be fine, learning to handle manual, in a Miata. Traffic may be tedious.

True on mods. Then again, if primarily used for track use, lots of other options that may not require roll bars and suspension etc., out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think you'll be fine, learning to handle manual, in a Miata. Traffic may be tedious.

True on mods. Then again, if primarily used for track use, lots of other options that may not require roll bars and suspension etc., out of the box.
I drive my spec Miata to and from the track (I'm working on a competition license and am not doing W2W this year) so I'm not talking hypothetically.

It's pretty slow in a straight line and I wouldn't be happy with it as my daily and only car.

Maybe the added power in nc or nd would cure that annoyance for some, but I really love hp for street cars so I couldn't do a Miata for anything but a very track focused car
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #21
SpeedyDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Garage List
2003 E39 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
A Miata is the most fun you can have in a car while going the speed limit. Nothing else new compares at regular speeds.
Sold - 2018 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #22
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
A Miata is the most fun you can have in a car while going the speed limit. Nothing else new compares at regular speeds.

Totally agree and on a track like Lime Rock that favors cornering speed and momentum, rather than horsepower and acceleration, they can put down very competitive lap times.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0