proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #23
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

^^^ This is a keeper post, thanks!
Appreciate 1
7tune115.00
      10-13-2023, 08:43 PM   #24
7tune
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 OG M2

Small update. Got the hubs in yesterday. BimmerWorld is awesome - 6 days to Japan and the kit looks wicked. $800 shipped with all hardware.

The hubs themselves are a meaty piece of kit! Can’t wait to get this done once and for all.

I do have a question thought: seeing as I’ll be pre-pressing the hubs and simply pulling the old hub/bearing assembly off, how hard is it to get this new hub assembly on?

As you can see from the last shot, my rear end brake/hub assembly is toast, so I’m replacing absolutely everything.

Do I need a spline puller for that job? If I punch out the old hub assembly from the back so it pops off the spline, surely reinstallation of the new hub is just as simple? Fingers crossed! 🤞🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
drroc420.00
      10-14-2023, 04:58 AM   #25
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

following
Appreciate 1
7tune115.00
      10-14-2023, 10:20 PM   #26
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Adding this to my “to do” list
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 01:13 AM   #27
sun573
Rep
Drives: M2 OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver407 View Post
Finished up my bearing install yesterday. I do highly recommend buying a axle shaft puller and extractor.

I owned the puller before hand but on assembly it was going to be nearly impossible without the extractor to pull the axle through the hub. It was not going to happen with muscle or a hammer. This made the entire ordeal painless as it could be.

Extractor is ~$40 on ebay and other is $20 or so. That will be the best 60$ you ever spend if this job is in your future.
Am I correct in thinking that I won't need any pullers or extractors if I'm swapping the entire hub and bearing assembly? Planning on the Bimmerworld racing kit since its a strictly track car.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 09:58 AM   #28
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun573 View Post
Am I correct in thinking that I won't need any pullers or extractors if I'm swapping the entire hub and bearing assembly? Planning on the Bimmerworld racing kit since its a strictly track car.
My install was also for both the hub and bearing.
Like i mentioned. That 60$ is beyond worth it for the proper tools and ease.
I would not have been able to do it without them. Even with some ingenuity. The parts did not want to separate and come back together. That is with zero corrosion/rust/grime of a California car too.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:14 AM   #29
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tune View Post
Small update. Got the hubs in yesterday. BimmerWorld is awesome - 6 days to Japan and the kit looks wicked. $800 shipped with all hardware.

The hubs themselves are a meaty piece of kit! Can’t wait to get this done once and for all.

I do have a question thought: seeing as I’ll be pre-pressing the hubs and simply pulling the old hub/bearing assembly off, how hard is it to get this new hub assembly on?

As you can see from the last shot, my rear end brake/hub assembly is toast, so I’m replacing absolutely everything.

Do I need a spline puller for that job? If I punch out the old hub assembly from the back so it pops off the spline, surely reinstallation of the new hub is just as simple? Fingers crossed! 🤞🏻
Even if you are lucky enough to get the entire old bearing and hub off axle without a tool. The installation of the new hub onto the axle doesnt go on as smooth as you may anticipate.

Axle gets stuck inside the hub about 1 inch too short to get the axle nut on. That tool fits inside of the space available and pulls it out.

I too thought there should be some way to do it tool-less. After an hour of fighting it. I ordered the tool and did it in 5 mins or less when it showed up next day.

Between getting the axle out of the hub and getting it back on. One or both of those are bound to stump you.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Appreciate 1
jfritz271107.00
      12-15-2023, 10:50 AM   #30
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

This thread is invaluable. For me, i will stick to the lighter weight hubs since my F80 is not a track car. I've done rear swaps on other cars and getting axle out of the hub and the bearing race off the hub is always a PITA. I hope my axles come out easily...
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2023, 10:55 AM   #31
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tune View Post

Even if you are lucky enough to get the entire old bearing and hub off axle without a tool. The installation of the new hub onto the axle doesnt go on as smooth as you may anticipate.

Axle gets stuck inside the hub about 1 inch too short to get the axle nut on. That tool fits inside of the space available and pulls it out.

I too thought there should be some way to do it tool-less. After an hour of fighting it. I ordered the tool and did it in 5 mins or less when it showed up next day.

Between getting the axle out of the hub and getting it back on. One or both of those are bound to stump you.
Tool? To install?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 12:33 PM   #32
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:

Thanks again for the tips.... just curious, did you clean off the axle splines good and use some grease/anti-seize on them, and it was still hard on reinstall to get the axle through the hub?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 12:41 PM   #33
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Tool? To install?
Look back on page one at my other post. Pics of them and info.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 12:44 PM   #34
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Thanks again for the tips.... just curious, did you clean off the axle splines good and use some grease/anti-seize on them, and it was still hard on reinstall to get the axle through the hub?
Yea, cleaned every spot with steel brush prior. Proper hub/spline greasing.

Tried hammering backside of axle lightly/evenly with rubber mallet. Tried block of wood + hammer for more oomph. Hitting any harder woulda broken something. Just was ever too short to pull it through hub face or even put the axle nut on and just fasten it through. Tool was required.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271107.00
      12-16-2023, 08:35 AM   #35
7tune
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 OG M2

*edit* - I took a look at this tool on the 1st page. How did it help with disassembly? Is it a driveshaft related issue?

Is it what you used to break the axle spline free from the rear hub? That would make sense... even more so considering mine are completely fubar.

Last edited by 7tune; 12-16-2023 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 07:43 PM   #36
Jack White
n00b
Rep
Drives: Allroad, Tacoma, M2C

I wanted to thank everyone for their respective contributions to this DIY. Although I have an M2C, I was able to get through it without too much difficulty.

Quote:
Finished up my bearing install yesterday. I do highly recommend buying a axle shaft puller and extractor.

I owned the puller before hand but on assembly it was going to be nearly impossible without the extractor to pull the axle through the hub. It was not going to happen with muscle or a hammer. This made the entire ordeal painless as it could be.

Extractor is ~$40 on ebay and other is $20 or so. That will be the best 60$ you ever spend if this job is in your future.
I wanted to address the axle shaft puller portion of this. I had the most difficult time here, as I wasn’t smart enough to order the tool ahead of when I was able to spend time on the car. I tried a lot of different things but came up short on getting enough threads for the axle nut to grab, so I went to get the tool. I couldn’t find the tool locally, so I was stuck with the axle about 2mm from where I needed it to be, for days, if I couldn’t figure it out. Frustratedly, I pushed the axle back out and loosened the hub assembly bolts, but not completely (IIRC). I then pushed or lined up the axle back into the bearing assembly and held the axle shaft from behind the assembly, while I used a hammer (lightly) on the face of the bearing, in a star pattern, to push the bearing assembly onto the axle until I had enough threads to get the nut on. I was then able to torque the hub assembly bolts before I had to tighten the axle nut. I hope that makes sense.

TLDR: You can use a hammer to bring the axle through the bearing assembly. The tool would work well, I’m sure.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2024, 04:31 PM   #37
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

I am doing this now. Easy way for me to push the axle out was to loosen the axle nuts and hit the impact rated socket with a hammer. Then back the nut off a bit more and hit it again.
Appreciate 1